General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC Helmet Recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:54 AM
eddie62
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They were nice while they were available

Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So essentially they were charging $180 +/- for a novelty helmet? WOW!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Pirate Boy
Tourer

Do a search on ebay for carbon kevlar helmet. Its not from ACC but a similar lightweight helmet. I bought one and really like it. It the same size as my wifes DOT polo helmet (cent remember the brand right now) but a bit lighter AND was about a 100 bucks shipped . Just some FYI for the peeps still looking for one or similar style helmet.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Pirate Boy
Tourer

Your gonna return your ACC helmet and then buy a novelty helmet to wear? That makes no sense , gonna return a helmet because it doesn't me DOT standards but wear one that has to meet NO standards. Sorry not trying to start a pissing contest but that's just kinda a messed up train of thought isn't it?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 AM
strohkr
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ACC Helmet replacement

Damn! I have one and really like it - it's light so I actually wear the thing. And here all along I was thinking it was DOT APPROVED! How can companies get away with this sort of thing???
Now I have to start searching all over again for a lightweight DOT helmet - anyone out there have any ideas of where I can begin my search?

Yes, I do have a Shoei Fullface - and I use it but it's so darn heavy that it gives me headaches and neckaches if I wear it too long.

Any ideas appreciated!!!!! Thanks!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the non dot version and it seems to be well made. My $30 novelty helmet is not even close to as stiff as the acc, I can take most novelty helmets and flex them very easily, the acc is better made. You can always do better but it is a pretty good helmet.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Pirate Boy
Tourer

Search ebay for carbon kevlar helmet . There's a similar one for about a 100bucks . I have one and really like it

Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

After reading through the test report data and looking at the pictures of the test equipment used for performing the "penetration" tests that caused the helmets "failure" status, I have to wonder what percentage of accidents actually involve the riders helmet being impaled on a pointed spike.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:49 AM
TideRKC
Tourer

Originally Posted by cHarley
After reading through the test report data and looking at the pictures of the test equipment used for performing the "penetration" tests that caused the helmets "failure" status, I have to wonder what percentage of accidents actually involve the riders helmet being impaled on a pointed spike.

From what I see it wasn't just the "penetration" tests, it (the EXT-3) also failed 3 out of 4 of the impact tests.

Last edited by TideRKC; 04-06-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
I REALLY doubt that ACC has the millions of dollars it will take to refund the money for all the "DOT" helmets they have sold. I've been to their small 2 bay manufacturing facility in Orlando and the ability to rebate that kind of money just doesn't add up. But who knows............
And as I thought, if I had one, I wouldn't bother sending it back. Almost everybody loves theirs. They are still offering kayak helmets, which in my opinion take serious abuse often, as mine do as I kayak the knarley stuff. I still plan on buying one of their "Daffy" models as it will not get ripped from my head bone because I have an E-Glide. No real bad buffeting going on there. And I like the extended bill to keep the sun out of your eyes at that time of day.
I have a "Sweet" "Strutter" which is a near duplicate of the Daffy. I just hope all this doesn't make ACC have to close up for good. I guess I'd better get one soon!
I have wondered how many DOT units they did sell. And I'd be interested in knowing how many were returned. As I said, I wouldn't bother returning such a strong light weight helmet that doesn't make you look like a space man! Their junk is still probably better than most others on the market.
Jus sayin!

aka Bob

Quick Reply: ACC Helmet Recall