General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC Helmet Recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another ACC Helmet Recall?

From their website, dated 3/26/10:

"This notice is provided to all purchasers or owners of Advanced Carbon Composites EXT-001, EXT-002 and EXT-003 models of motorcycle helmets, regardless of size and regardless of date acquired, in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act."

So, all "DOT" helmets are recalled and they are sending refunds? Anyone called them about it yet? I have two; I'm calling in the morning.

Read it here:

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/recall.html

Old 04-01-2010, 08:51 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn! i have an ext-004 i'm trying to unload a recall would've been AWESOME!!!!, awful helmet so sorry i ever bought it.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:52 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I tried to become a dealer recently and was sent an email stating they longer make DOT helmets. Let us know what is up. I have been wearing their DOT for 4 years not.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:57 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior

I guess that explains why they say they won't repair or replace. I've had one of mine for over 4 years; if they need a receipt or something I'll be pissed. Like I kept that around since 2006...

Old 04-01-2010, 09:01 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I'll still keep wearing mine. It is the most comfortable lightest helmet I have ever worn.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 PM
MarkM
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine for 3 years now and love it, but it was a lot of money to pay for a helmet that amounts to nothing more than a novelty helmet, according to the safety board. Guess I'll be on the phone to them tomorrow. At least with the refund, I should be able to buy something that will actually protect my skull.

Anyone have any suggestions for a similar style lightweight helmet??

Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MarkM
I've had mine for 3 years now and love it, but it was a lot of money to pay for a helmet that amounts to nothing more than a novelty helmet, according to the safety board. Guess I'll be on the phone to them tomorrow. At least with the refund, I should be able to buy something that will actually protect my skull.

Anyone have any suggestions for a similar style lightweight helmet??
Do you have to send your helmet back for the refund? Let us know. I have $700 helmets from my sport bike days. This was inexpensive in comparison.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:08 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

once i tried my ACC helmet on even with the DOT sticker I knew i had essentially a novelty helmet. not to mention it flies up like a parachute over 55, the chin strap with the quick disconnect routinely becomes loose and needs to be tightened several times during a ride. it isn't a good helmet IMO if i want to cruise around town i just wear a novelty helmet, if i'm riding longer and on freeways i use one that would actually work well.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:09 PM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain

Just recently I've been thinking about ordering a DOT helmet from them and now this crap happens.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:13 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by babalu
once i tried my ACC helmet on even with the DOT sticker I knew i had essentially a novelty helmet. not to mention it flies up like a parachute over 55, the chin strap with the quick disconnect routinely becomes loose and needs to be tightened several times during a ride. it isn't a good helmet IMO if i want to cruise around town i just wear a novelty helmet, if i'm riding longer and on freeways i use one that would actually work well.
With a few choice rivets , glue or tape that problem can be solved.

Quick Reply: ACC Helmet Recall