General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC Helmet Recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:15 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
With a few choice rivets , glue or tape that problem can be solved.
i know but i just want to sell it and use the proceeds for a bell 500 helmet, so i didn't want to change anything on the helmet.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:22 PM
MarkM
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Do you have to send your helmet back for the refund? Let us know. I have $700 helmets from my sport bike days. This was inexpensive in comparison.
According to the link above, you have to send the helmet and proof of purchase back to get the refund. Luckily I still have my receipt, so I'll find out more tomorrow and post. Hate to give it up, I really like the thing. I had them get rid of the quick disconnect clip, and I have a windshield so it doesn't ever blow off my head (although I have had that problem riding at high speeds without the shield). But I think that probably happens with any half-helmet.

Oh hell, I really like the thing. Maybe I'll just keep it.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:44 PM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 939 Likes on 398 Posts

Well that just sucks. Both of mine are EXT-002's. Had em for years too, no way there's gonna be a receipt.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:10 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master

so I have a 004 DOT...it's not included in this? Should I still be concerned about the 004 being as useless as a novelty? I actually am not a fan of the helmet...mine also takes flight on the freeway...just never feels like it fits right.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:18 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by AThousandHurricanes
so I have a 004 DOT...it's not included in this? Should I still be concerned about the 004 being as useless as a novelty? I actually am not a fan of the helmet...mine also takes flight on the freeway...just never feels like it fits right.
i would assume the 004 has similar issues to the other in this recall. perhaps the recall only applies to the 002, 003 because the recall investigation began before ACC started making the 004? i doubt there's much if any difference between them to be honest (i own a 004 ACC too).

maybe if i hold onto it they'll recall it in a year or so?

as for "proof of purchase" i would never abide by that, you own an ACC helmet stamped 003 that's being recalled, under no circumstances can they deny you that. i would complain with the org that issued the recall.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master

i emailed um about the 004...let's see what happens. The ACC's are popular helmets...I am a little concerned ACC doesn't have enough money to pay back every DOT owner their purchase price.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by AThousandHurricanes
i emailed um about the 004...let's see what happens. The ACC's are popular helmets...I am a little concerned ACC doesn't have enough money to pay back every DOT owner their purchase price.
i'm going to contact the NHTSA tomorrow and see why the 004 wasn't involved in this announcement.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer

I'm in the same boat as the last few posters. Got an ACC in February. I just looked and its an 004. Neat concept, but I didn't like it. It felt terrible to wear and the clasp is real Mickey Mouse. I picked up another helmet. Hopefully, the recall will be extended to the 004's. More importantly, hopefully, ACC has enough resources to refund the money.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 PM
MarkM
Tourer

Originally Posted by pettifogger1
More importantly, hopefully, ACC has enough resources to refund the money.
My thoughts exactly; that's why I'm calling tomorrow. Next thing we'll see is the bankruptcy announcement. There's a lot of $200 helmets floating around out there.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine is an 002. I can barely read the tag it's soiled.

Quick Reply: ACC Helmet Recall