General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left leg amputee VET looking for R side shifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:53 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I am a left leg amputee and I have zero mods on my Roadking to accomodate that. I lift my prosthetic leg up a bit and drop the foot onto either the heel shifter peg or the toe shifter peg. It's as simple as that. The only thing that gives me trouble are highway pegs. I can't keep my foot on them, so that's out. I also need floorboards which the RKC has. I've been riding like that for the past 12 years and I've made several long distance trips in that time. I did put longer shifter pegs on the bike to make it a little easier to hit the peg, but that's it as far as mods go. I could and did ride with standard length pegs, but the longer ones make it a little easier. It took me about a week to get it down to where I didn't have to glance down to make sure I was hitting the peg. So if there are any more left leg amputees out there that think they can't do it without mods, give it a try. You may be surprised at what you can do.

Josh, good thought. I don't need it but some may. Your idea may be better if you can get the front squared up more. I'd have to try it out to see. I'm assuming you thought of this for a strictly toe shift application because as I said, heel and toe shifters are easy. The difficult part with using a toe shifter is the fact that you have to actually lift your leg up. There is no up and down movement at the ankle on a prosthetic leg like you have with a normal foot. A good prosthetic foot flexes a bit as you roll your foot over when you are walking, but it's a flex you can't initiate without weight. In other words, your body weight is what makes it flex when you walk. Think of it as being spring steel.

Last edited by roadking2000; 03-27-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:16 PM
joshb06
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
...Josh, good thought. I don't need it but some may. Your idea may be better if you can get the front squared up more. I'd have to try it out to see....
Hey, Thanks a whole lot for your feedback. Yes, I had the toe shift in mind. I agree about squaring it up in the front... seems like it would be more useful like that.
I'm at about a halfway milestone on my development and your feedback is great. The most difficult part the design is trying to find a way to make it temporary on the boot so I can send it out for people to give it a try without ruining a pair of boots (lol something i never thought of). If I did put together a boot (your size), and shipped it out to you, would you be able to sit on your bike and give some feedback?
I know it's a lot to ask but if you could help it would be amazing.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:23 PM
joshb06
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video Explanation

Here is a video of the whole DIY Project via YouTube