General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need sportster help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:22 PM
junk_sportster
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need sportster help!

I have a 2004 XL1200c with 6,340 miles with a screamin eagle hi flow air cleaner. The screw backed out of the air cleaner assembly and was sucked into my carburetor, leading to a total engine failure. it ruined my front cylinder head, cylinder, desinigrated the piston, bent a valve and twisted a connecting rod. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS ISSUE OR KNOW OF ANYONE THAT HAS HAD THIS ISSUE? HD wants nothing to do with me now. After I had the dealer install their performance parts, had all the service work done at a dealer, they dont want to offer any assistance to help me! PLEASE, IF ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM OR KNOW OF ANYONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:24 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Had the same problem, I can of Sea Foam fixed her right up

Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm never heard of that issue with the screaming beagle stuff, but doesnt surprise me.

th MoCo isnt responsible for the dealer's techs or thier fubar's. this may be a case of small claims court but then you have to prove that the dealer was in fact responsible for it.

sorry for your loss man. have your tried ductape or JB Weld?

Old 06-10-2010, 06:23 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,273 Posts

The problem with the Sportster engine is that the internal parts are made by Briggs and Stratton and are plastic. They are only designed to run for a limited amount of miles then they wear out to the point that they simply won't start anymore. Unfortunately, they are also very fragile and are prone to failure, as you have found out. Actually, I am surprised that the screw didn't make it's way into the crankcase after it twisted the connecting rod. When that happens, the flywheel overheats and melts into the cases.

Consider yourself lucky. It could have been a lot worse.

I don't understand why the dealer won't help you. I have read several times of people getting a free softail from the dealership when their Sporty breaks.

Maybe you could try the local Murray lawnmower repair shop and see if they can fix it for you?

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:49 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As already stated, it's the shop/techs fault because he didn't loctite the screw(s). MoCo isn't liable, but the shop is. It's been a problem with those SE kits. Hope you get it taken care of.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

six yr old bike,, If U had the 7yr warranty, maybe then they would fix her...
if a dealer did the work and they messed up, which U'd have to prove,, then go after them not MOCO>

Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Do you have a brother named peanuteater?

Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carlgrover
The problem with the Sportster engine is that the internal parts are made by Briggs and Stratton and are plastic. They are only designed to run for a limited amount of miles then they wear out to the point that they simply won't start anymore. Unfortunately, they are also very fragile and are prone to failure, as you have found out. Actually, I am surprised that the screw didn't make it's way into the crankcase after it twisted the connecting rod. When that happens, the flywheel overheats and melts into the cases.

Consider yourself lucky. It could have been a lot worse.

I don't understand why the dealer won't help you. I have read several times of people getting a free softail from the dealership when their Sporty breaks.

Maybe you could try the local Murray lawnmower repair shop and see if they can fix it for you?

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
Outstanding response! I was thinking along the same line, but I can't improve on the advice offered here.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 PM
jeepand4x4
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other discussion over in the sportster forum on the same issue, you will get a better response there.
How long ago has it been since the dealer put on the SE filter kit? Have you had the filter back plate off anytime since? If it has been fairly recent and you haven't had it off since I would hold them responsible, they probably didn't use the loctite (it even comes with the kit).
Sorry to hear about that.