General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2010 Ultra - For 8 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Localbulldog
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Good advice.

The dealer is just off the highway so I really had no choice but to come home that way. I wanted to leave this bike stock (so it would be unique to others) but I may need to change that thought process.

Any other comments would be great - thanks guys !

Old 06-12-2010, 12:03 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

I thought that the "parade mode" would kick in at lights or when the bike is stopped...but as soon as throttle is engaged it would revert back to normal operating.

could be wrong about that but that's what the sales guy told me about them when I asked....

Old 06-12-2010, 12:08 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,437 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by fishcop
The same thing happened to me when I bought my 09 Heritage. I was sitting at a light and all of a sudden the bike starts shaking and the engine is missing and sounds like I fouled a plug. A quick twist of the throttle and all was well. Got home and looked in the owners manual and discovered the bike had this heat control system. Basically, when the heads reach a certain temp the rear cylinder shuts down both spark and fuel. When you twist the throttle it comes back on line. I called the dealer and talked to the service mgr. because here in Las Vegas it is hot and it comes on quite often. He said not to worry won't hurt the engine. He also said that if I wanted they could disable it. But yes, the first time was scary, I thought wtf was wrong with the bike. So, you can live with it or have the dealer disable it.
09 Heritage has heat control? That's news to me. The Engine Idle Temperature Management System is on touring models, not Softails. Someone is pulling your chain.

Last edited by golfblues; 06-12-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Localbulldog
Novice

Thats true. I was stuck in traffic for 8 miles 70 degree weather.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:04 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Localbulldog
Been lurking here for awhile and need some help - Please ?

Picked up a 2010 Ultra yesterday. I left the dealer in and entered heavy traffic for the next 8 miles, never left second gear. At the 8 mile mark the bike sounded like it was rapping and banging so bad that I shut it down and pulled into the break down lane. This was no normal Harley sound it was NASTY!

Called the dealer to have him pick it up and find out what was wrong. While I was waiting I started the bike and .......NO bad sounds. Go figure. Dealer said I may have rolled the throttle into "parade mode" New to me I didn't know I could do that on a 2010. As a matter of fact the salesman told me that it happens automatically at a certain temp.

So finally heres the question part:
Anyone else's bike make these types of noises?

You can not hear the noise over the internet. It only has 8 miles on it

If I or it went into parade mode is the sound normal?

Take the bike to the dealer to get aquainted or ask one of the local hog members in your chapter.

What damage may have occured?

It only has 8 miles on it!

What do you think the dealer will say?

WTF, Call or go visit the dealer how should we know. The bike only has 8 miles on it.

Thanks in advance.
Anyone else's bike make these types of noises?

You can not hear the noise over the internet. It only has 8 miles on it

If I or it went into parade mode is the sound normal?

Take the bike to the dealer to get aquainted or ask one of the local hog members in your chapter.

What damage may have occured?

It only has 8 miles on it!

What do you think the dealer will say?

WTF, Call or go visit the dealer how should we know. The bike only has 8 miles on it.

Sorry, but this is a real dumb post for the sewing circle. To me the proble is a paraniod rider that depends on the internet to much.

Last edited by leicafish; 06-12-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Localbulldog
Novice

Oh thanks, sounds like I made a friend.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:42 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't think a bike would go into "parade mode" in 70 deg. weather. I guess those new ones really do run hot as hell. Of course stop and go traffic is rough on a stock Harley. Most the time I see guys taking the shoulder instead of just sitting because of the overheating problem being air cooled. As far as leaving it bone stock, I wouldn't. You really need to richen up the fuel to cool that thing off or you'll probably regret it. Not so bad in cool weather but in the heat it's brutal. Doing a stage one would help a lot.
More money, but it's just the way things are with a Harley right now.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:06 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Eitms

The new engine runs hotter until broken in, tight tolerance.

The EITMS, Engine Idle Temperature Managment System shuts down the rear cylinder when hot and pumps a little extra fuel for cooling. Kicks in when front cylinder reaches 285 Deg. F

Most times not set at dealership, lucky for you yours was! Keeps engine from self destructing from the heat! see operators manual on how to set!

Will kick off and return to normal if you blip the throttle, just kicks in at idle speed.

The new 2010 EPA Air Standards got even tougher, the bikes were already leaned out and hot from lean AFR and EPA Cams. In 2010 the touring Harley got the Catalytic Converter in the headpipe. Even hotter.

Dump the cat, get a header pipe without a catalytic converter, slipon free flowing mufflers.
Parade Fan
Larger oil Cooler, with fan! Jagg 10 row or UltraCool is a good one.
Tune, richin up AFR

We never had to baby a Harley on break in before but I would try to stay out of traffic on hot days until broke in. At 1000 mile service go with a good synthetic oil. They don't burn off until around 300 deg.

You just got hit with the Harley Tax

They will be a rash of heat complaints from the 2010 baggers this summer, they are running much to hot now that they are being built more for the EPA.

Last edited by coupe55; 06-12-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Localbulldog
Novice

Thanks coupe55 and others.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:13 PM
srshaw
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
09 Heritage has heat control? That's news to me. The Engine Idle Temperature Management System is on touring models, not Softails. Someone is pulling your chain.
My 2010 fatbo manual says that some kind of temperature management control can be engaged by the dealer, which disables the rear cylinder. Presume this is similar to parade mode. Presumably a similar option should be available to softails.

It does say that it isn't activated as standard, but since I live in the cold uk, it probably isn't needed. If you buy a bike from somewhere hot, they may engage the temperature management as a matter of course.

Quick Reply: New 2010 Ultra - For 8 miles