General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Test Rides/Demo Fleet

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:03 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Harley Test Rides/Demo Fleet

I ride a 1997 Sportster right now and plan to get a bigger bike next summer, when my truck is paid off. So today I went to Louisville Harley Davidson, where they had the HD demo bikes in for a couple of days of test riding. It was pretty nice and I learned a lot. Got 3 test rides and could have done many more, but I rode what I wanted to ride. Here's my review.

Started with a Softail Deluxe, which was the current frontrunner for my next bike - after the test ride, it is even farther out front. Low smooth and comfortable, not to mention the looks.

Tried a Crossbones - that seat I thought looked cool...sucks - raises you up real high and moves around too much. Also didn't care for the handlebars, compared to the Deluxe.

Road King - Compared to the Softails it was like witting on a stack of phone books with my feet up even higher. Smooth, but not as comfortable as the Softails to me and the riding position seemed suited to short people. Got a cramp. I no longer have much interest in Road Kings or Dynas in general.

All 3 - way too smooth and quiet. I couldn't hear or feel them well enough to know when to shift or when I was lagging, etc.

Not much of a wait for the rides. BUT riding in a group formation with people you don't know, in Louisville on a Saturday, is not the best way to really try a new bike.

Also, the guy signing people up for the rides for HD seemed to have a grudge against drill sergeants and pointed out that we are "trained to act like jerks" (not because I said anything to him, he just saw my drill sergeant T-shirt while I was doing paperwork and started running his mouth). Struck me as one of those guys who quit during basic training and now claims it was his drill sergeant's fault he couldn't make it. Whatever.

In summary - go check out these demo fleet events if you get a chance. Pretty good way to ride some Harleys.

Last edited by brenn; 07-31-2010 at 06:16 PM.