General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 1st New Harley -- Need Some Tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:32 AM
shiftharder
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got them to match a close by dealers price and they threw in the PDI and alarm system at no charge. All in all it was a good experience.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Lucky7
Advanced

After shopping for what seeme like forever an being indecisive as usual I wound up with a new 2010 Fat Bob. I really wasn't even considering new because there are so many good deals on used bikes out there. I missed a great deal on an '06 Street Bob and was kicking myself for weeks afterward, but it just wasn't meant to be. I recently moved and found out one of my new neighbors worked at my local dealership that was closing its doors. I got the bike at dealer cost which I just couldn't pass up. IMO if you're looking new definitely pin one dealer against another. When buying a new bike it is absolutely comparing apples to apples and may the best man win. Good luck with the purchase!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:23 AM
pibpd905
Advanced

Thanks for all the great tips and stories. Keep them coming, after reading through a lot of the forums here, I knew the group on here would have the info, and be great enough to share.

As for a used bike, I am also looking into some of them too. But if I can buy new at a good price I'll go that way. I live in Port Clinton, Ohio, there are a couple of dealerships close and some further away, so I should have a good chance to pit one against the other.

Do any of you know when a price drop may happen on the 2010 bikes? Mad River Harley in Sandusky has a few 2010s I would be interested in, but don't want to pay full price right now if they are going to drop in a month or so.

Thanks again for the responses, gives a good gameplan going into this whole thing.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:05 AM
rocknrollsg
3rd Gear

Dealers in Minnesota are discounting right now. You can look at used. I was looking at an 09 road glide and ended up buying a brand new 2010 Street Glide for less than they wanted for the 09 (two different dealers) If you're looking for new, I'd buy now or wait until around the middle of next July because the next model year comes out August 1st. If you're looking for used, shop away and find a bike, they are out there. Good luck.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with waiting for a deal on a 2010 . You're in Ohio , so you have a definate season there and as the season starts to get short they will make deals on the 2010's rather than sit on them all winter . The only other thing I'd suggest is to use this time to get out there and test ride several bikes to be SURE you are in fact buying the right model . The biggest problem with buying new is that if you feel you have bought the wrong bike after , you'll loose big time on reselling it . So just make sure you know what you want and then by all means buy new if you get the deal .