General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carolina H-D, Gastonia, NC to close Oct. 15

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Carolina H-D, Gastonia, NC to close Oct. 15

http://www.gastongazette.com/article...na-harley.html

Old 08-18-2010, 08:38 AM
PnDegc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a shame. They made some good changes and had good people there. I can't help but think HD has some responsibility in this when they opened stores like StarBucks.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:57 AM
fladawg01
Tourer
Default End Of Dealership

I'm surprized that if the dealership was doing as well as they state, why a buyer couldn't be found or HD buy it and take it over directly. Part of the issue I see is that they moved into a facility that was too large and too expensive to maintain.

I wish her well, and remembered the news of her husbands passing. Again I think if someone was interested in the business it would be a good dealership to keep going. Maybe just down size to a smaller location locally.

That leaves only Charlotte HD in Matthews and Pat Rodgers in Concord as the two remaining Harley Dealerships within the Charlotte area.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate too hear this also. It was great having so many dealers close to me.
If I ever needed a part one of the nearby stores always had it. We will miss you Carolina Harley Davidson !!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Coolbreeze
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

That really sucks, I enjoy going in there to browse around, and talk to the people there. Now I have to drive an hour in any direction to get any type of warranty service done. I sure as hell aint going to Pat Rogers though! (yeah, I know this is selfish)

I guess I will have to make trips to Tilleys in Statesville from now on, that is if they stay open. They have been doing a lot of advertising lately, maybe a grasp at strings. None of them have really done any advertising on the radio that I can recall. I have never been to Gene Lumus HD in Swannanoa, maybe its about that time.

I remember when I bought my Heritage, I talked with Click just a few months before his passing. He told me that I would not find any better ride for the money than what I was looking at. He talked to me for a while about the softail line, and the Heritage. I soaked in a few stories from him that were very interesting. He could have talked me out of this one and into getting something from him, but he was an honest man. I feel bad that all of his hard work, and lifes dream have come to this.

I think someone that has the funds should step up to the plate and save Mr. Baldwins legacy for current and future HD riders to enjoy (If I were a rich man, I sure as hell would). I understand that Mrs. Baldwin has to walk into that place and be flooded with the memory of her late husband, and that should be a thing of joy, not something to give up on. Keep the home fires burning so to say.

I wish the best to Diane Baldwin, and all the rest of you folks at Carolina HD. I will miss you. Click, I miss you most of all, thank you.

This is just my humble opinion on the subject.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never been to Gene Lumus HD in Swannanoa, maybe its about that time.
FWIW, Gene Lummus died in February. His son Travis has been active in the business for quite some time.

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews.../detail/659301

Old 08-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Back in June we went by Carolina HD on our last mountain trip. It was on a Monday, so it was closed. Sorry to hear about this...

Old 08-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Robert_W
Tourer

Another sad day in the Carolinas. We wish the families and employees well.

Bob & Denise.