General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lodging advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:50 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts
Default lodging advice

looking for some lodging advice. the wife and i are planning on taking a week in early october and doing a little trip. we're thinking of going to deals gap. what we're looking for is a decent play to stay that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. don't really care if it is a hotel chain or not, only using it for sleeping, showering, etc.....

we're leaving from la, and the trip to deals gap, though not an iron butt, is probably longer than we'd like to make in one day. this is supposed to be fun so first night, probably stay around tuscaloosa, or birmingham area. what we'd like to do is to pick a place fairly close to the gap but not necessarily right in it, and stay maybe 2 days, then take a leisurely route home, maybe through nashville, memphis (spending the night there) ....

what recommendations do y'all have for lodging near the gap, and maybe even chattanooga, memphis or nashville? thinking about the basic chain hotels on the way back. what places to avoid?

remember, cheap is good, but don't want to share the room with critters....

Last edited by skratch; 08-22-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:10 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

when we went down we stayed right at deals gap resort cost very inexpensive and alot of good people room was basic and they will even do your laundry

Old 08-22-2010, 09:18 PM
drbald1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BlueRidge MC campground is where we stayed, but I was coming from the other direction (from KY). It's about 45 minutes from the Dragon, but it was a great stay. Good people, price was good, and the ride to & from Deals Gap was beautiful!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:18 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I have rode across the country using nothing but locally owned hotels. No chains at all. I have had great luck. If a place is suspect, I always ask to see the room first. If they refuse...I don't stay. Most places don't mind.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Badger Matt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We stayed at Fontana Village for a few day and had a great time.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Not familiar with the area/route you're taking but have you thought about finding a Bed & Breakfast?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:28 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowpokey
Not familiar with the area/route you're taking but have you thought about finding a Bed & Breakfast?
all options are open at this point, we are in the planning stages of it. looking for people who have done this in order to glean from their experience. so if you know of a good one, we're all ears.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:30 PM
kpb46
Road Master

I stayed in Lenoir City @ the Kings Inn. Not bad. Price was right. Going back again in a few weeks About 20 miles from the Dragon and basically down the road from Smokey Mountain Harley

http://www.kingsinnlenoircitytn.com/index.htm

Old 08-22-2010, 10:52 PM
BlackRob
Tourer

Be aware that the Blue Ridge Mountains and the area around the Dragon are huge tourist draws during October because of the leaves turning during that time (no joke). Hotels and campgrounds are frequently booked full during the entire month. If you find a place you would like to stay it's best to go ahead and get reservations now.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:10 PM
thebarzeen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I took a trip down there my group stayed up in Alcoa.... it's straight north of the dragon on 129, has most major chains and a few smaller hotels as well as a bunch of places to eat......

Quick Reply: lodging advice