General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin City HD banner " We will not be undersold."

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mi2az
I would totally agree with the above comments. I would never go with someone stating they will meet or beat their competitors price. What they are really saying is, " I will take advantage of you as long as you don't catch me."
My opinion exactly.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Well they just don't beat the prices, they tend to be the lowest to begin with anyway. just sayin

Old 10-27-2010, 03:15 PM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

If they're selling cheap, it would be a first. I've tried to buy several bikes from them in the past, and they always had a set of Harley grips on them, called it a custom, and added a pile of extra money. Bought my bikes from dealers that sold for MSRP, and that wasn't the case with them awhile back.
Jonnierock

Old 10-27-2010, 05:21 PM
jandt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started looking seriously at buying in late 07. When I finally decided what I wanted I walked into TC north, they are the closest dealer to me. Hashed out the details and walked out with a written quote. I told them I would have to check out the compitition as well.

Donahue Harley in St Cloud MN
Zylstra Harley in ELk RIver MN
Mankato Harley
St. Paul Harley
Crow River Harley in Delano MN
St Croix Harley in Richmond WI
Glacial lakes Harley in Watertown SD

I paid a visit to all of these dealers,( I did my share of leg work on this one...)

None of these could come close to Quote from TC north, Even handed them my quote I had gotten from TC to prove I wasnt just kickin tires and was serious about buying. One sales person told me to go buy from TC.. he/they couldnt touch it.

Havent had an issue with TC at all...maybe I am one of the exceptions I dont know. But it seems what they say is true when it comes to pricing from my experence. Would I buy from them again? After checkin others prices out....sure why not.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:58 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,453 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Arrow

I did my legwork too before buying from them. They waived setup & delivery charges. Their price beat everyone else locally by $250.00
That did not include the extras they put on the bike; another $200.00 or so.
Next Harley I buy from a dealer, they get first crack.
They are also the closest HD to me; 11 miles.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey if a dealer treats you well and gives good prices and deals who cares what they put on a sign? Sounds like the guys who have dealt with them have been happy. I only know of the St Paul Harley as they sell a lot on Ebay and Amazon

Old 10-28-2010, 08:35 AM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Twin city seems high on maintenance work, neither of the two Harley riders at work will go to them, both drive out to Delano, they say good service, good prices and they were treated decent.

Wife and I stopped by the Lakeville HD and while the guy seemed ok, didn't act like he really wanted to help us, least that's the impression we got.

We thought the St Paul HD was easier and more helpful to deal with.

Buddha at Wild Prairie HD spent a lot of time with us, big point was he paid attention to the wife's questions, suggested different alternatives to the bikes we looked at and also gave us a decent discount off msrp, we'd go back to him as it stands now.

Al

Last edited by AllenW; 10-28-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:39 AM
casper gomez
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mi2az
I would totally agree with the above comments. I would never go with someone stating they will meet or beat their competitors price. What they are really saying is, " I will take advantage of you as long as you don't catch me."
with all due respect, i don't think it is that simple. in fact, in some cases i think the message is " our company is trying to make money, and if the market will bear it, this is what we are gonna charge. on the other hand, if we are in a competitive situation with another vendor we will sharpen our pencil if need be." and behind the scenes the same company is probably moaning and groaning that "our competition is giving away bikes; how can we stay in business on these kinds of margins"?

having said that i can tell you that here in atlanta there is a situation like one of the previous posters mentioned, where you have a dealership located in a very well-heeled location with a very bling bling store who is charging more than the blue collar dealership located in a very blue collar part of town. lucky for me i work very close to the blue collar one and they have gotten my service business including stage1 work. they are a good bit cheaper than the dealer i bought the bike from. i even called the dealer i originally bought from and told them i wanted to continue to trade with them, but they were gonna have to sharpen their pencil because i had found a far better price. they were not able or willing to meet the other price so they lost out. i don't hold a grudge or think they tried to screw me over. i just think the market bears what they charge because the clientele is wealthier over there and those folks are willing to pay more to get stuff done in "their own back yard". bully for them i say.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:57 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Easy to undersell a competitor by $1, you know.
I never buy from people who advertise that they'll match a competitor's price, much less someone claiming he'll beat them. Why would I buy from them? If they can't be competitive from the get go, f*ck them.
I'm with you on this... I spent 30 years in the retail car business and faced this type of hype every day. It's a "leader"... can't sell to them until they're sitting in front of you. It's an advertising gimmick used by hypesters who cannot be more creative... Barrett HD in El Paso, TX is another. "Get 'em in" is the motto and it seems to appeal to a great many of the masses. It's just like Home Depot or Lowes or anyone who advertises we'll beat their deal..... They are too lazy to shop their competition, so they let you do it or they get a higher price from the masses who are also too lazy to shop around.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:02 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

After reading some of the replys on this thread I am amazed at the number of people who don't under stand sales and marketing. All companys have a profit margin, all companys are going to try and sell you their product for as much as they can. It is your job to shop for the best deal. If you won't shop at the dealer advertising he will not be under sold, YOU are leaving money on the table. The funny thing is back in the day when I sold cars I allways made the most money on the guy who told me I had better sharpen my pencil and give him my best deal or he would walk.

Quick Reply: Twin City HD banner " We will not be undersold."