General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forty Eight Owner: What did you pay new and How much did you put down?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Iamlegend21087
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forty Eight Owner: What did you pay new and How much did you put down?

]Hey All,
I am new to this site and riding. Looking to get my license in the Spring and purchase a forty eight late june. Just was curious what people were paying at the dealership new, did you have to pay sticker or did anyone get deals? Also how much did you put down and what do you payments look like? Thanks for any help I'd really appreciate it. And if you'd like let me know how you like it.

Adam

Last edited by Iamlegend21087; 11-04-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 713 Posts

It might just be me but asking this much information is just a bit too personal for a public forum.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Iamlegend21087
Novice

You might be right, just new to the whole scene, looking for guidance so I don't get swindled at at the dealership. Thanks for the response though.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:22 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think HD has a payment calculator on their site. For whatever reason dealers seem to think the 48 is worth full sticker around here and not much less, which IMO is a silly price for what it is. I doubt you will pay much less than sticker right now. If it were me, I would buy a sporty used (even if its from a dealer) and dump the rest of the cash into making it "mine" vs. something everyone else who signed the paper got with the 48. I have seen some sick looking nightsters that people put a little money into to make it unique.

Also, something I don't hear often on the boards, bur when i bought my SG the finance guy told me if I ever wanted to sell the xbones private party or whatever, he could work out financing for the buyer. That would lead me to believe that there is a program out there for people who want to finance the bike, but want to buy from a private party or whatever. kind of opens up the options a little.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Old 11-21-2010, 01:24 PM
KrakkyDoo
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Harley usually requires 10% down of the purchase price before ttl. So, if the dealer is asking $10,500 for the new 48 your down payment would be $1050. Harley does offer 0 down to well qualified buyers. Hope this helps.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:49 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah dude my friend bought one it's cool looking but you could buy an older sporty for around 4k in Cali and put 2k into it and have a better looking 48

Old 11-21-2010, 02:08 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The 48 goes for $10,500 new?? Around here, any dealer can put you on a big twin for that. I just got my 04 Softail Standard for under $10 and around that time looked at a Springer softail wiht a lot of custom parts for $11,500 and a Deuce for $10,995 and plenty of others (Fatboy, Heritage, etc).

I started (with Harley's anyhow) with a Sportster because it was the cheapest used Harley and I was buying 2. It's a fine bike, but no way I'd buy one new for $10K+ when I could get a used Softail or Dyna for the same or less.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:40 PM
KrakkyDoo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by brenn
The 48 goes for $10,500 new?? Around here, any dealer can put you on a big twin for that. I just got my 04 Softail Standard for under $10 and around that time looked at a Springer softail wiht a lot of custom parts for $11,500 and a Deuce for $10,995 and plenty of others (Fatboy, Heritage, etc).

I started (with Harley's anyhow) with a Sportster because it was the cheapest used Harley and I was buying 2. It's a fine bike, but no way I'd buy one new for $10K+ when I could get a used Softail or Dyna for the same or less.
The 48 has an MSRP of $10,499 for a black one with no options. That doesnt include Freight/Setup that a lot of dealer still get. The hang tag on a 48 with a color option can easily be over 11K. AND THEY ARE SELLING!!!!

Old 11-21-2010, 02:44 PM
KrakkyDoo
Road Captain

Sorry I left this point out of my last response. There are a lot of people who buy and ride sportsters because that is the bike of choice for them, not because they are less expensive than the used softails and dynas you were saying are a better value. Look through the forums here and you will find many sportsters in which the owners have spent A LOT of money on because it is what they want not because it is what they can afford.

I have a sporty myself and the ticket to replace it with a new one with all the same work would be around $17,000 and it has stock paint on it.

It is not always about price!!!!

Old 01-31-2011, 05:36 PM
REVHAPPY
Tourer

Man you have to go thru a bunch of bullsh*t to get a answer around here. 6 responces and not a f'ing answer to your questions. What a bunch of idiots...... So here it goes, purchased my 2010 48, 12/10. From stan's hd in batavia,ny. For $9,499 plus tax and tags.(brand new w/3 miles) down pyt depends on your credit.(they'd like 10%) i put no money down payment are $194 per mth. For 60 mth. Good luck!

And dont forget to thank everyone for there worthless 2 cents

Quick Reply: Forty Eight Owner: What did you pay new and How much did you put down?