General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you recommend a Harley for my first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:14 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
If its your very first bike as in never rode before...nope, I suggest a elcheapo metric for the first year.
+1

A lot of wisdom there.

Get a cheapo, and learn how to ride. After you decide that you want to ride and have developed some basic skills...then get a bike that you suits you ergonomically, aesthetically and functionally. I really think that is the way to go. Could save a lot of money if you decide that riding is not for you and/or pain if you drop an expensive machine.

My $.02

I would never have appreciated my harley had I not rode other brands of bikes.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure, why not?

I've known a bunch of people who learned to ride on 883's, and a few that learned on 1200's.
I've even met one or two that learned to ride on Dynas.

I've had a few people ask me about getting a Sporty to learn on...I tell them sure, just look for a used one. Thanks to the "ride free for a year" promotion they had for so long, there's a ton of perfectly fine used Sporty's out there just waiting for an eager new rider.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

Not sure.............. but I would say to get a Red head with Big TA-Ta's and a tight sugar spot for Ur first wife...

Old 11-12-2010, 09:30 PM
BCKNBLK
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I had never ridden before - took the MSF class and bought a Dyna Super Glide Custom as my first bike. In 3 months I have just about 2k miles on it. In all honesty I can't really speak as to what's best for you - I believe only you can do that. I didn't want to go any other route other than a Harley so I did and was willing to take the chance, but that is me. I did practice a heck of a lot on side streets and parking lots before heading out on crowded roads and now I'm pretty much riding it every day and have been on quite a few 100+ mile rides and several group rides. Only thing I can say is that you are definitely taking a chance by getting one as your first bike, but if you are willing to take the chance then the choice is yours and do it. Only you know what will truly make you happy.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:32 PM
rmatt34
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oct1949
Not sure.............. but I would say to get a Red head with Big TA-Ta's and a tight sugar spot for Ur first wife...
LMMFAO !!!!

Will you be my friend ...?

Old 11-12-2010, 09:41 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Even the smallest Harley is a large heavy powerful machine.

Get a Honda 250cc rebel to learn on. Decent used ones can be had for around $1,000. After a few months you'll be ready for the big time.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:43 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyones different. Some guys can probably jump on a SG and ride it like a champ. Some may have trouble with a sporty.

My first bike was a GSXR 600 when I was younger. First bike,brand new. After that I rode my buddies 750-1000.

I then sold the GSXR about 6 mths after getting it. I went on deployments and just never got back into bikes. Still wanted/loved them. Then just out of the blue looked HD. After 5 years jumped on a HD and no issues. It is a nightster though but after being rusty over the years I was fine.

You might be able to learn quick and it be second nature, you might by a HD and have a lot of issues. Practice on a buddies bike.( if he has an older sportster,metric that he just has sitting around)

I wouldnt suggest buying an older sporty for couple Gs when you may love riding and want a bigger bike and you just spent a couple Gs on a bike you will get rid of quick.

When I got my GSXR I had never rode before in my life. Had it delivered and learned in my moms cul de sac. Taught myself. Knew what to do, just never did it. Got comfortable and took MSF course.Make sure you take that course too.

Last edited by HD&CUMMINS; 11-12-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Spindrifter
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I've never ridden anything other than a Harley, other than the small bike I rode in my rider's course, so I say pick the one you feel the most comfortable with and take it with baby steps. Take a riders course, buy the ride like a pro V, learn your bike and ride the crap out of it.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:31 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Bought a nice badass DynaGlide Custom as my first bike ever. Had to have a friend ride it home from the dealer. Took it into a parking lot and rode it for 30 minutes or so, then head out on the backroads around the neighborhood. No problems!

I took the riders course 6 months later and finally got a license. Those 200cc bikes in the course felt like toys. ha ha

Anyway, the point is that people definitely get Harley's as their first bike. I read about it fairly often. Go for it!

Old 11-12-2010, 11:00 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 440 Likes on 263 Posts

Wife took the riders course, then bought herself a new Low Rider...nearly 15k later there's be a couple "close calls" but no scratches...done Sturgis and the east coast including Boston morning traffic. One major difference with women, though, is they only have to worry about thinking with one head.....

Quick Reply: Would you recommend a Harley for my first bike?