General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about H-D New Rider Course

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:23 PM
SouthernGuy8503
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I'll look into the community colleges around me first. I have one in the next town but they don't offer a riding course. I figured all of the Rider's Edge courses would be the same but I wasn't sure if the community college courses would be to or not. I won't be able to take a course anytime soon anyways, earliest would be in late May but I doubt I'll even be able to go then. Thing is I'm going through BLET (Basic Law Enforcement Training) for 16 weeks starting next month and that's a full time thing. I might have to wait until I'm able to get a bike before I take a course. It sucks because I have no patients at all, at least on something I really want to do lol.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:26 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Hell yes take the course. Every new rider should. Like everyone said, it's the same course as the MSF at most communitcy colleges. Only the rider's edge is focused on Harley's. The only difference is they take you through the dealership and show you the different bikes. That's it. My dealership paid for the course with the purchase of a new bike. And I think I got a $50 gift card from HOG for it. Don't try to learn on your own. You'll learn bad habits that way.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Warpfield
Cruiser

I took the class back in May this year, (OC Harley, CA). Having never ridden before, I found it well worth the money. By the time you complete the class you will have the required confidence to go out and ride a Harley. I graduated on a Monday, got my license on Tuesday, test rode a Sportster on Wednesday, purchased the bike that Saturday.

My wife took the course in June and she is now riding her own Sportster as well.

Think about it hard though. Although I love my Sportster, I think that I wish I had bought bigger, like at least a Dyna or Softail.

In any case, the wife and I are riding together. That is what's important.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Warpfield
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SouthernGuy8503
Thanks guys, I'll look into the community colleges around me first. I have one in the next town but they don't offer a riding course. I figured all of the Rider's Edge courses would be the same but I wasn't sure if the community college courses would be to or not. I won't be able to take a course anytime soon anyways, earliest would be in late May but I doubt I'll even be able to go then. Thing is I'm going through BLET (Basic Law Enforcement Training) for 16 weeks starting next month and that's a full time thing. I might have to wait until I'm able to get a bike before I take a course. It sucks because I have no patients at all, at least on something I really want to do lol.
You will be much better off in the Riders Edge class. They have you riding good mid sized bikes, (Buell Blast, 497cc). I know the local community college class uses dinky 250cc or smaller bikes. If your intention is to eventually ride a big V-Twin, the larger bike would effectively help in this regard.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife took the Riders Edge & was glad for the extra time spent in that class over the local County-sponsored MSF classes.
Then one of my best friends & his wife took the County MSF class & learned the same things & ride just fine.

If you're the type that just likes to be shown/told real fast & then get out there & do it....take the cheaper class....any state-certified class will cover the same basic skills.

The Mrs (and I, for her taking) preferred the idea of more time going over the concepts and in-class stuff as well as more time practicing the skills with someone watching & giving pointers.

Either way, both are worth what they cost...it's just a matter of how much time you want and/or need in class.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:22 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

Been on two wheels longer than I want to admit. Last summer I took the advanced course put on by our DMV. Learned a lot, every thing regardless of what it is changes over time including your habits. Pulled some of my bad habits forward, got my hand slapped for it and learned the right way to do things. Will take again in a couple of years. I wasn't the only one in the advanced class, the class was full.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:03 PM
mikebell_eng
Cruiser

Take the course before you even buy a bike. You will find out quickly if you actually want to ride and won't have wasted the money on the bike. The instructors had some leads on some used bikes of people that took the course and just couldn't get the riding part down and then had to sell their bike.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:51 AM
dortiz
Road Captain

"You will be much better off in the Riders Edge class. They have you riding good mid sized bikes, (Buell Blast, 497cc). I know the local community college class uses dinky 250cc or smaller bikes. If your intention is to eventually ride a big V-Twin, the larger bike would effectively help in this regard."

Can not disagree more. I hated the Buell and did not feel good at all on that type of bike. The Hondas were less CCs but felt like cruisers. I bought a Soft tail the next week and have not looked back.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:08 PM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the course. It will get you a discount on insurance (you have to mention that you took th eocourse) and it should help with your endorsement (in NH, if you pass the course, you just pay extra and get the endorsement). Just make sure that it is a course that is approved by your state DMV - they all have to teach the same thing then.

I've taken the riding courses twice (back in mid 90's with MSF and again in 2008 with MOST) and all the instructors were very good. They won't just pass you becuase you paid money; 1 person failed the first course and 3 failed the second. All of those that failed had previously tried to teach themselves on an old beater.

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2010, 01:48 AM
Avmech97
Road Master

I wish there had been a class like that when I was learning to ride a street bike. It probably would have saved me from learning about getting high sided the hard way before learning about counter steering. I say take full advantage of basic/new riders class,you will be glad that you did.