General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preferred Clutch Engagement Point

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 05:47 PM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Preferred Clutch Engagement Point

Just curious where y'all like the clutch to start engaging on the lever. I like mine to start very soon after I begin to release it, but every time I get it back from the dealer (which ain't often) they have it coming in close to the end of the lever release. Just something that bugs the hell outta me.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:05 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I prefer that mine start about one quarter out away from the grip. Having start very early or very late limits range of action and / or adjustment ability.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:13 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
I prefer that mine start about one quarter out away from the grip. Having start very early or very late limits range of action and / or adjustment ability.
yeah! thats about were i like it to grab too!

Old 12-25-2010, 06:31 PM
kykurnal
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Same here. The one on my rigid engages near the end of it's travel and it drives me nuts. I have small hands anyway and it makes it much tougher to control in slow speed manuevers as if having a 280 rear tire and total 47 degrees of rake doesn't make it hard enough.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,612 Likes on 3,854 Posts
Default Just a thought

Sure most people know what determine this clutch engagement position but in case some do not here is why it's that way from the dealer. When they adjust the clutch the call out is 1/2 to 1 turn back from were the screw is all the way in. Most people figure it's best at 1 since you will be sure there is no danger of not enough slack in the cable and the clutch plate not fully locking up. The free play at the clutch lever (1/16-1/8) also affects this. I like you want my grabbing just as I start coming out. So I keep the free play at 1/16 for maximum clutch movement from the lever so as to pull the clutch plate as far apart as possible and the clutch at 1/2 turn out. Doing this requires you to keep a close eye on things and I do my own but the dealer probably would not do this unless you ask.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-25-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mr. Lucky posted this link in another thread, but I liked how the tech described the adjustment.
http://www.hdtalking.com/transmissio...nt_method.html

Old 12-25-2010, 08:53 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Really not too concerned where it locks up, as long as its locked up when the lever is all the way out. Full clutch is what its all about, if it doesn't disengage completely at idle, I don't worry about it, on the fly slide into neutral and go from there. See many bikers just hit the kil button at stops, then go to neutral. Nothing wrong with that. Tell my daughter thats how you tell a duffer, they sit at a stop trying to find neutral before they kll the motor. Makes no sence, to me anyway!

Old 12-26-2010, 07:55 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grf000
Sure most people know what determine this clutch engagement position but in case some do not here is why it's that way from the dealer. When they adjust the clutch the call out is 1/2 to 1 turn back from were the screw is all the way in. Most people figure it's best at 1 since you will be sure there is no danger of not enough slack in the cable and the clutch plate not fully locking up. The free play at the clutch lever (1/16-1/8) also affects this. I like you want my grabbing just as I start coming out. So I keep the free play at 1/16 for maximum clutch movement from the lever so as to pull the clutch plate as far apart as possible and the clutch at 1/2 turn out. Doing this requires you to keep a close eye on things and I do my own but the dealer probably would not do this unless you ask.
Thanks for the explanation and tips! Fred

Old 12-26-2010, 02:37 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Learned a long time ago how to get the clutch just where I need it.When power shifting you need it to start releasing as soon as to touch the lever.Engaging for me needs to start happening very soon as well.Also always run primary specific fluid making clutch operation predictable.

Quick Reply: Preferred Clutch Engagement Point