General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

firestone

Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Turbo Flux
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
firestone
I thiiink he was asking about prices.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Booey420
+1 here. I personally wouldn't skimp on tires. I have replaced the rear tire 2 times. Once from wear and once from damage and both times I bought them from the dealer. They are made by Dunlop, but they are engineered for Harley Davidson.
So what you're saying is that you believe in paying the most $$$ for the least performance...LOL. The Dunlop OEM tire is made to minimum HD specs based on the lowest bid... just like everything else that HD sells for the after market. HD doesn't manufacture one thing for themselves... they buy everything from the lowest bidder... the only thing they do with the bikes is assemble them from parts bought the same way. I have a HD... BUT I can tell you that almost every OEM part has been replaced by parts made by companies who have their reputation on the line and in order to survive have had to make their parts to the most rigorous of standards... starting with the tires.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:32 PM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rpbrown
You being in Plano, the least expensive I have found locally is at Bikers Bay in Euless. Have replace rear tire on all 4 of our bikes and they have been cheaper every time and you dont have to pay any shipping charges.
Dennis Kirk was the cheapest I found and believe me I looked everywhere. I got a set of Elite 3's for $210 delivered. Jake Wilson was about $15 more for a set. Bikers Bay in Euless was $50 more per tire and I would have had to pay sales tax. I use Bates Cycles #2 in Farmers Branch to mount and balance for $20 per wheel. They are also cheaper than Bikers Bay for the tires.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:06 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 462 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by PktChg
Needing to get a rear tire for the bike and looking for the cheapest deal. Been looking for a few days and seen some good deals but wanted to throw it out here.....do you know of an obscure website that is notorious for being the cheapest on tires? I've pretty much settled on Jake Wilson, who I used last time but wanted to make sure I'm saving every penny I can.
prices change ,almost, daily. today's low seller, might be mid range or higher tomorrow.... then WHICH tire you want, will also effect, who is cheaper.
I like jake wilson.... but dennis kirk, is usually close enough, that it doesn't matter.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by handyhoward
So what you're saying is that you believe in paying the most $$$ for the least performance...LOL. The Dunlop OEM tire is made to minimum HD specs based on the lowest bid... just like everything else that HD sells for the after market. HD doesn't manufacture one thing for themselves... they buy everything from the lowest bidder... the only thing they do with the bikes is assemble them from parts bought the same way. I have a HD... BUT I can tell you that almost every OEM part has been replaced by parts made by companies who have their reputation on the line and in order to survive have had to make their parts to the most rigorous of standards... starting with the tires.

If all these OEM parts are not good enough for you then why do you own a Harley? If you feel the need to replace Harley parts with other company's parts, then what's the point of owning a Harley in the first place?

Old 01-05-2011, 02:09 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

In my area any "internet savings" is eaten up by the charge to install from the local indys. The HD Dealer wont install if tires brought in. Refuse to do them myself (smart decision for me!) so I lean way over and buy them at the Dealer.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Miz Roo
Road Warrior

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

OK, I'll bite... what brand of tire do you recommend? I'd like to know for myself.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dunno about all that--but I do know that at almost 30K miles, I'm on my second dunlop rear and the original dunlop front.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to work at a tire shop and don't like buying four or five year old new tires. I like to pick my tires out from a dealer based on the manufacturer's build date that is stamped on the sidewall of every tire. If you look closely you will find a four-digit number stamped into the sidewall of your tire. It will read something like 4408 or 2101. What do these numbers mean? Well, a 4408 means the tire was manufactured during the 44th week of 2008. 2101 means the tire was manufactured the 21st week of 2001. Years prior to 2000 have a one-digit number to reflect the year, and after 2000, a two-digit number is used. I'd rather pay a little more to have fresh rubber on my bike - but that's just me.

Quick Reply: Tires