General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey, WA riders: is it legal......?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, guys.

I'm new to the area and just figuring out the differences between riding here and in Montana.

I notice a lot of guys on bikes wear the hi-viz jackets. With the weather (and the traffic), that doesn't seem like a bad idea.

It also looks like MCs get to cut to the front of the line for ferries. Sweet!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
Hey, WA riders,

Is it legal for MCs to ride in the HOV lanes on I-5 in and around Seattle?

(I'm guessing there is a helmet law, too, right?)
Yes, it's legal, but the signage isn't consistent.....on some of HOV lanes they've added small signs indicating that motorcycles are OK just below the big HOV signs, but you won't get a ticket traveling in the HOV even when the MC signs are absent.

As others mentioned...helmets are required, and the state troopers can be real buttheads about the whole DOT thing....none of the municipal or county cops give a crap about whether it's a DOT helmet though.

Last edited by krusty1; 01-06-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:39 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And Faber....now the Oyster Run will be right in your neck of the woods! Lot of fun.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:18 PM
fiend138
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar story but just the other side of Washington in Oregon on I5 north bound. Hot as hell day stop and go traffic even in the HOV but its was better there then in the regular lanes. Anyway I am creeping along and some dude on an ultra is going no ware in the middle lane. I waved him over and said its cool to go in the HOV and he moved in behind me. The HOV lane stated moving and I pointed out all three or so signs saying "Motorcycles OK". Anyway just before Washington there were a couple of LEO's like usual patrolling the HOV lane. So the dude on the Ultra sees them and bails like he is doing something wrong. So I guess I tryied to earn my boyscout badge that day but what ever. Long story short Oregon HOV are good to go as well.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Very much legal. I do it all the time over there. Most states that I have been to that have HOV or carpool lanes made it legal for bikes as well. I know in CA you get free pass over the bridges during commute hours when on a bike
Not anymore. There is now a commute fee to all commuters, on the SF Bay Bridge it's $2.50

Old 01-06-2011, 09:42 PM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yup go to the front at the ferry line its cool. during oyster run tho, you might want to call ahead at port townsend/coupeville ferry. Washington has had a helment law on and off so many times I didnt know when to wear one and when to not. to bad the insurance co.s whined there way to keep the manditory law. It should be a CHOICE

Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 PM
DeD Fred
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EW1959
I remember the good old days of riding in Wa. without a helmet. I was ripping and roaring up and down I-5 back in 84-85.
My 1/2 skid lid is from 1986, the year the commies took away the choice, WE THE PEOPLE voted for.
It was the helmet companies & money from the feds

If you notice on all HOV lanes there are signs that say Motorcycles OK.
I think there Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:44 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzy
Not anymore. There is now a commute fee to all commuters, on the SF Bay Bridge it's $2.50
Thats crazy!. I just got back from CA yesterday and seen that the bridges went up another dollar. $5 to cross the Bay and $6 to cross the Gate?? How can a person pay that everyday?? Seems like it goes up every year.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Qdraw
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
Thanks, guys.

I'm new to the area and just figuring out the differences between riding here and in Montana.

I notice a lot of guys on bikes wear the hi-viz jackets. With the weather (and the traffic), that doesn't seem like a bad idea.

It also looks like MCs get to cut to the front of the line for ferries. Sweet!
ya the head of the line on the Ferry is a real plus!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:40 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOV and HOT lanes are open to all motorcycles anytime.

Quick Reply: Hey, WA riders: is it legal......?