General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think Lady luck was on my side!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:01 PM
montanacharlie
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think Lady luck was on my side!

My 05 Ultra is at the local stealer gettin some Andrews gear cams put in while the roads are snowy and icy and today I get a message saying I need to call them ASAP. So I gave them a jingle. Found out that I was lucky that I decided to do the cams when I did. The cam bearings had spun in the cam plate at one time or another and the schrapnel had gone through the oil pump galling it up. The bike has 24000 miles on it. The chain tensioners didn't look to bad but would have needed replaced. So now along with gear cams shes gettin a Feuling cam plate and oil pump. Hopefully wont have to worry about that for a very long time. Cant imagine railin around a corner and have the cam plate and/or oil pump grenade. Anyone else on here runnin the feuling oil pump? Kind of curious about what oil pressure you get at idle with the feuling oil pump?

Old 02-04-2011, 11:04 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Dude you are one lucky guy. I have a friend whose 03 just grenaded due to the cam bearings taking a crap. Not pretty.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:14 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very lucky, keep us posted on the feuling pump and pressures.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:31 PM
deermasher
Cruiser

keep us posted on how it turns out for you. i too have a 05 ultra and have looked at the fueling package for mine as well

Old 02-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd be interested to know what the "stealer" does to you. Was it your choice to take it there?

Old 02-05-2011, 12:10 AM
montanacharlie
Intermediate

Yeah it was my choice to take it there. Up here in northwest Montana there aren't many choices. At least none that I know of. Wish I had the confidence and the tools to do it myself. I think I am up around 1900 right now. That is Andrews cams,s&s gears, adjustable rods, lifters, bearings, feuling cam plate and oil pump,fuel filter, labor.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 AM
deermasher
Cruiser

would it have been cheaper to go with the full fueling system? with there cams, gears, and push rods. they sell it as a full matched set.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 AM
montanacharlie
Intermediate

well maybe. Keep in mind I had no intention of doing the cam plate and oil pump until they tore it down and found what they did. They already had the cams and all the parts to put them in.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:21 PM
montanacharlie
Intermediate

Well got my bike back today. Got to take it for a little spin as the roads were dry and not icy in front of the Harley shop. It was a warm 35 degrees so did not go far. Mechanic said to take it easy first 100 miles so i didnt romp on her like I wanted too! Exhaust note is definitely different, more rumble. Oil pressure from the new feuling oil pump at idle was right around 30 at idle and cruising at 70 it was around 50 psi. Bike was warm as the mechanic took it for a ride before I did. Gonna start saving my pennies for a dyno tune now before riding season gets here. Felt a bit of an increase in seat of the pants but hard to tell with out really gettin on it. So now I get to patiently wait for the snow on my street to melt.....

Old 02-12-2011, 07:29 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Talked to my buddy in Billings a couple of days ago.Said it was pretty damn cold!

Quick Reply: Think Lady luck was on my side!