General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley top selling brand in U.S aged 18-34 year old buyers

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:57 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harley top selling brand in U.S aged 18-34 year old buyers

"Automotive research firm R.L. Polk, which reviewed the registrations of all motorcycles sold in the U.S. and found that beginning in 2008 H-D became the top-selling brand in sales of new on-road motorcycles to young adults aged 18-34, popularly known as Generation Y. In 2009, we extended that lead (the numbers aren't in yet for 2010). And that's for all displacement motorcycles, not just heavyweight bikes. "

"From 2006-2009 we sold approximately 200,000 used Harleys in the U.S. to this generation of customers, and the number has been increasing."

"Harley-Davidson actually sells more motorcycles in the U.S. to people under the age of 35 than any other motorcycle company."

From this month's HOG magazine.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I posted that on a couple of the "Harley needs younger riders"/"Harley should build sport bikes" type threads. Nobody seemed to notice.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Amodump001
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the economics as they are, it’s surprising that the US products sell anything, however my money is on the US made products!! Wouldn’t buy anything else! And starting to stay away from union stuff!! Sorry Union brothers!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yay! Another thread for all the armchair CEOs to jump on and start telling Harley what they NEEEEED to do, that will invariably be some variant of "keep making the same mistakes they made with Buell and MV Agusta over and over and over!"

Let's start a running tally of morons who'll suggest overhead cams and liquid cooling, higher power-to-weight ratios and better redlight-to-redlight racing performance, who WILL NOT cite VRSC sales statistics in support of their opinions. Come on! Who wants to be first?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 PM
dking909
Tourer

I want a motorcycle I can ride locally, on long road trips and carry the wifey when needed. That rules out anything advertised as having an "aggresive" or "athletic" riding position.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

Let's start a running tally of morons who'll suggest overhead cams and liquid cooling, higher power-to-weight ratios and better redlight-to-redlight racing performance, who WILL NOT cite VRSC sales statistics in support of their opinions
Ok, I'll be the first moron then.

I would have considered a vrsc if it had a more comfortable long distance riding position. I don't know about any of that other stuff.

But I'll reserve judgment until I see how many miles I can get out of my 883 engine before it needs a rebuild.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 PM
SMF
Banned

Originally Posted by cameraboy
ok, i'll be the first moron then.

I would have considered a vrsc if it had a more comfortable long distance riding position. I don't know about any of that other stuff.

But i'll reserve judgment until i see how many miles i can get out of my 883 engine before it needs a rebuild.
they still make 883's?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:10 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cameraboy
Ok, I'll be the first moron then.

But I'll reserve judgment until I see how many miles I can get out of my 883 engine before it needs a rebuild.
You need to buy one first.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
Oh yay! Another thread for all the armchair CEOs to jump on and start telling Harley what they NEEEEED to do, that will invariably be some variant of "keep making the same mistakes they made with Buell and MV Agusta over and over and over!"

Let's start a running tally of morons who'll suggest overhead cams and liquid cooling, higher power-to-weight ratios and better redlight-to-redlight racing performance, who WILL NOT cite VRSC sales statistics in support of their opinions. Come on! Who wants to be first?
They won't - it's kind of hard to jump into a thread citing statistics about Harley being the biggest seller in the country to the youngest buyer age group and claim that Harley doesn't appeal to you riders.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:23 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I say HD should let those who build sport bikes keep building them, and Harley stick to what they do best, it's obviously working. And now with the price of a lot of imports being closer to HD some people are figuring if they're going to pay that kind of price, they may as well get a Harley.

Quick Reply: Harley top selling brand in U.S aged 18-34 year old buyers