General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got stopped at a MC checkpoint..

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's like the drunk check points they do in Cali. They used to do them in Washington but I havent seen any in years. Visiting in Cali we thought we were running into one on a corner. Turns out a drunk rolled his car & the lights were from a cop & wrecker.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Freedoms, Liberties, Rights,

Natural Rights: The classic definition of "natural rights" are "life, liberty, and property", but these need to be expanded somewhat. They are rights of "personhood", not "citizenship". These rights are not all equally basic, but form a hierarchy of derivation, with those listed later being generally derived from those listed earlier.
Personal Security (Life):
(1) Not to be killed.
(2) Not to be injured or abused.
Personal Liberty:
(3) To move freely.
(4) To assemble peaceably.
(5) To keep and bear arms.[18]
(6) To assemble in an independent well-disciplined[13] militia.
(7) To communicate with the world through speech and expression

(8) To express or publish one's opinions or those of others.
(9) To practice one's religion.
(10) To be secure in one's person, house, papers, vehicle[14], and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures.
(11) To enjoy privacy in all matters in which the rights of others are not violated.[7]
Private Property:
(12) To acquire, have and use the means necessary to exercise the above natural rights and pursue happiness, specifically including:
(1) A private residence, from which others may be excluded.
(2) Tools needed for one's livelihood.
(3) Personal property, which others may be denied the use of.
(4) Arms suitable for personal and community defense.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
Freedom isn't free. Here we go again.

"Oh, yeah, that's right. That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it, that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." George Hanson (Easyrider)

Old 06-27-2011, 05:56 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There’s a couple of the reasons why I like living in Nevada. Typically the police don’t pull people over unless you’re doing something wrong (with the exception of holiday check points) or your vehicle appears like it isn’t road worthy. There are no Smog checks (cages only) or State Inspections.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:12 PM
mid evil train
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in Fla. DUI check points are as regular as the rain. What they have to do, is when they are deciding where they are going to put the check point, they also have to advise the state attorneys office, of the method they are using to stop the cars, to avoid motorist from saying they were singled out. For instance they will shut down a lane of traffic or a parking lot. They will cone off an area (shute) that will hold a certain amount of vehicles (usually about 6 to 10). once they enter traffic, they will wave in enough cars to fill the shute, and then open traffic up on the road. The vehicles are approached and checked for equipment, insurance, license, alchohol etc. The sober ones are sent on their way and when the shute is empty, the process starts again. In Florida they also have to post the check point date and location in the local paper I think a week or two ahead of time.

Things differ from state to state, but it sounds like they just said "We are stopping every motorcycle."
Not saying its right or wrong, jus saying thats how its done down this ah way.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-----------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-02-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:39 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by straydog13
I dont fault the cops at all.I mean its their job.I dont know why people have such a problem with stuff like this.The cops have a job to do and they are just following orders.I dont fault them one bit.Neither do i fault the **** guards at the death camps in ww2....They didnt make the rules..they were only doing their job.They had no choice.....just like the cops have no choice.Its their job.

edit---no im not serious.It actually makes me want to throw up when i hear of bs like this.Its the same old story but i still will never accept it as normal or even american.Its just a way for me to keep whats left of my sanity.
I think the words about **** guards and death camps are not in very good taste even if you were kidding.

and to the original post - i refer to it as profiling. Do you think it would be ok for the police to pull over a certain race of people or sex?

Old 06-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a lawsuit going through New York State courts now to prohibit motorcycle only checkpoints.

Seems the Department of National Highway Safety has given thousands of dollars to local and state authorities to have these checkpoints.

Bikers in NY are trying to stop it, as they should.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:54 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

While not required by law in many states, I recommend to always carry your registration with you in your wallet. Its an easy thing to do and it may help you some sunny day. Man you guys have some registration issues...all three bikes with some kind of an issue...sheesh The type of "checkpoint" you describe is not legal 'round my parts...have to have at least reasonable suspicion of illegal activity in order to stop a motorist.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:20 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wilburz
I think the words about **** guards and death camps are not in very good taste even if you were kidding.

and to the original post - i refer to it as profiling. Do you think it would be ok for the police to pull over a certain race of people or sex?
profiling is a tool used by every law enforcement agency in he world. If an oriental robs a bank do you think the cops will be stopping every white guy in the area? no. Profliing is a bs buz word created by the media. If the alleged criminal is a certain color or race, of course the agency will be singling out that group. Hard to find the criminal any other way.

Quick Reply: Got stopped at a MC checkpoint..