General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Kevin San Diego Cali HD Rider
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oil consumption

Hey - I have about 250 miles on my 2011 XR1200x. Just filled up the gas tank for the first time last. Finally got onto the freeway last week for a few miles, to give it a go. Rides nice. I checked the oil level for the first time and I needed to add a quart of oil. It doesn't smoke, no low pressure light. Go figure. I learned today how to check the oil level!
I'll watch it closely and go back to the dealer if it continues.
From the search I ran on the site, looks like this amount of usuage is abit much.
I've spent more money on oil than I have on gas...
Happy 4th of July.
See my July 4 update.

Last edited by Kevin San Diego Cali HD Rider; 07-04-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Added followup see it -Indepence Day! :)
Old 07-03-2011, 02:29 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you check the oil level before the ride?

Old 07-03-2011, 05:04 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,987 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin San Diego Cali HD Rider
Hey - I have about 250 miles on my 2011 XR1200x. Just filled up the gas tank for the first time last. Finally got onto the freeway last week for a few miles, to give it a go. Rides nice. I checked the oil level for the first time and I needed to add a quart of oil. It doesn't smoke, no low pressure light. Go figure. I learned today how to check the oil level!
I'll watch it closely and go back to the dealer if it continues.
From the search I ran on the site, looks like this amount of usuage is abit much..
A bit much? Your brand new Harley was an entire quart low after just 250 miles? Either some nimrod at the dealership had his head up his *** when he was setting up your bike, or you have a serious leak somewhere. I'm putting my money on the nimrod at the dealership.

I would be in the dealer's face asking WTF is going on here?

Old 07-03-2011, 05:34 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Keep a good eye on it. Thiat is a bit much for 250 miles but give it a chance to break in. If it keeps losing that much, for sure, talk to your dealer.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:57 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
A bit much? Your brand new Harley was an entire quart low after just 250 miles? Either some nimrod at the dealership had his head up his *** when he was setting up your bike, or you have a serious leak somewhere. I'm putting my money on the nimrod at the dealership.

I would be in the dealer's face asking WTF is going on here?

yeah i would be asking questions for sure. if it was using that much oil it would be, A- smoking like a frieght train, B- marking its spot.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When I bought my 1200C in April the service writer told me the first 500-1000 miles would see bad gas mileage and see the highest oil consumption.....He said a quart in 1000 miles is acceptable according to the mothership.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Cazimere
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i bought my 06 last year it had 900 miles on it. I took it (first & last time) to the stealer for the 1000 mi service, it came back a qt low, battery cables loose and greasy hand prints all over it.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:55 AM
MikeySom
Road Captain

Received 345 Likes on 150 Posts

Check the oil in your primary and see if its a quart to much the problem might be there

Old 07-03-2011, 08:06 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I took my bike to the dealer once and an oil change is part of what was done. I got it back and checked the oil after riding home. Well it was about a quart low. I called and spoke with the tech who infomed me he put 2 quarts in as that is what it takes. After reaming him a new one about the proper amount of oil, I added about a quart.

Needless to say this is the last time anyone else was allowed to do anything like changing oil on my ride. Seriously, the oil was not showing on the dipstick.

And to think eh was a "Harley Certified" mechanic. Run from the dealer...run! Buy a service manual and do it yourself. Save some money and know it is done properly.

Drew

Old 07-03-2011, 08:45 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

It is always the dealers fault no matter what...Wow I can't believe how much this site loves to bash dealers...I am not saying that this is the case...But there are a lot of people that don't have a clue as to how to check their own oil and end up over filling their bike.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption