General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone elses bullet headlamp actually make it harder to see at night?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:13 PM
kh24
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does anyone elses bullet headlamp actually make it harder to see at night?

Hey guys I bought my bike used with an HD bullet headlamp on it, 5.75". Man does this thing suck. All it does is create some annoying halo because the light reflects off the chrome trim ring and the visor top to the bullet. Heres some pics, i'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. The visibility is so bad, I don't want to drive at night anymore. I'm gonna take it apart and shoot the whole inside flat black and hopefully that will help.

Low beam

High beam

Old 07-21-2011, 11:25 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, mine does that same thing. Pretty frustrating seeing all that light wasted on the ring, and then not being able to see much of the road. I do notice that when I go down my driveway at night that it lights it up pretty well, but then just moving down the highway on the way to work it's pretty pathetic. I have cars go by me and their lights are WAY better than mine, and that's just stock garbage. I'd like to have some of those LED lights, but I'm sure it's the bullet that's gotta go.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:31 PM
kh24
Tourer

Its the bullet, I just lined the inside with black duct tape and guess what ,I have an actual beam of light again. I'm hoping flat. BTW this is with a slyvania silverstar ultra bulb. I figured the bullet was a problem, just wondering if anyone else noticed it. I also think I need the taller mount because the beam shoots too far out in front of me.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:07 AM
dog116929
Cruiser

Try a few different bulbs, they all act a little different. I currently have the sylvania super bright or something like that and it works much different than the stock bulb I took out. I also have a FLH, liked the Sylvania so much I installed one it it, did not work well at all, went back with the stock bulb and all is well again. Based on my experience I would change bulbs and not headlights until you did a little more checking.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:27 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

Does anyone know of a small bullet headlamp that throws decent light? I've been thinking about upgrading mine from the stocker, but I'm not exactly crazy about the amount of light the stocker throws, and I certainly wouldn't want it to get worse.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:40 PM
kh24
Tourer

Originally Posted by dog116929
Try a few different bulbs, they all act a little different. I currently have the sylvania super bright or something like that and it works much different than the stock bulb I took out. I also have a FLH, liked the Sylvania so much I installed one it it, did not work well at all, went back with the stock bulb and all is well again. Based on my experience I would change bulbs and not headlights until you did a little more checking.
I've used the stock bulb and the slyvanian silverstar ultra (which is pictured) both have the same results. Its just a bad housing design.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:45 PM
DMC1
Cruiser

Mine does the same thing. I have to ride with the low beam on just so I can see when riding to work in the morning. May have to try something different...

Old 07-24-2011, 07:01 PM
kh24
Tourer

I just spray painted the inside flat black and the chrome trim ring flat black. It got rid of the halo effect. Now the other thing I noticed is the lamp itself sucks. I took the lamp out of my dads 2010 wideglide and put it in, same bulb as im using.....and it had a nice wide beam of concentrated light. Not the throws it all over the place cant see sh*t beam I have now.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:16 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,957 Likes on 3,035 Posts

I agree, the light from these suck. I have to use high beam only at night. When oncoming traffic comes and I put on low beam the road disappears.
It dose look like your lamp is up to high, going by your pictures, that street sign is better lit than the road.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:36 PM
kh24
Tourer

Originally Posted by RANGER73
I agree, the light from these suck. I have to use high beam only at night. When oncoming traffic comes and I put on low beam the road disappears.
It dose look like your lamp is up to high, going by your pictures, that street sign is better lit than the road.
It is down as low as it can go. I bought the bike used and whoever put the light on used the short mount, which is correct for a night train but not correct for the inverted front forks. I'm gonna go to HD tomorrow and get the tall mount.