General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shovelhead question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:17 AM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

i already had a new shiney twincam efi........ i sold it, i now ride an older evo and love it much better! the old bikes just have more charm and character. go for it!!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:46 PM
hillclimb
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find someone that has experience with a shovel and take him with to look at any you are considering. I rode all the amf stuff and have never felt all the bs was justified. If you want to learn about motorcycles and how to work on them a shovel is a great place to start. Something that I have found useful: only do it right, know how to use a heli-coil and introduce yourself to someone that can weld aluminum. I live in Colorado as well and know there are a good assortment of shovels to be had. I currently have two of my own. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 PM
WildBillHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 71 shovel

Had a 1971 Electra Glide for over 9 years. Rode over most of the United States and was never stranded. I performed all maintenance myself and wish I still had that bike. I think alot of the shovel issues have been mentioned that people need to be somewhat mechanically inclined and actually perform the maintenance schedule. Kept it stock except for replacing the Bendix carb and put electronic ignition in the cone....I wouldnt hesitate to have one as my everyday rider but I do know a bit about how to keep them running...am looking to add a second bike again and it will be a shovel when I get one....nuff said..

Attached Thumbnails shovelhead question-us-map.jpg   shovelhead question-biketrip2010-033.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 09:59 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Inform your buddies , if it wasn't for AMF Harley may not be here today , in short AMF saved harleys ***. that said , anybody who says a shovel cant be reliable is full of **** , seems they are much more reliable than a lot of these new fangled twinkie engines . before I started riding my evo my ol shovel had over 200,000 on her and I still ride long distance with several shovels that rock on down the highway......and no , they don't tear them down every winter

Old 08-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,825 Likes on 18,579 Posts

There are a lot of brothers on this site that would give their first born to have a Shovel and I'm guessing that there are a few who wouldn't have anything to do with a Shovel .... you hear a lot of crap about the AMF years but most of the people who are passing that crap on have NEVER had one and are just jackin' their jaw passing on crap that someone else has repeated. While it's true that they ( Shovels ) have their peculiarities if you take the time learn your scooter and are a bit mechanically inclined it will provide you with much pleasure for many years. They aren't the fastest horse in the stable but if you were looking for a really fast scooter you'd be looking for one from the people who brought us Pearl Harbor. I've been ridin' for well over 40 years and have plopped my *** on more than a few Harleys and although I currently am riding a 2009 FLHTCU I still have my 79 FXEF ( yes it's an AMF ) and it still runs great. I did a lot of motor work to it right after I got it in 1982 and it still gets with the program ( and get a lot of looks and compliments ... riders love the old school rides ) One thing you can be sure of is that if you grab a Shovel and go through it you can consider yourself a real rider and wrencher. Good luck with your decision and if you find yourself on the side of the road with your scooter you can be sure that if I see you I'm gonna stop and lend a hand 'cuz that's what brothers do!

The following users liked this post:
FLHS1990 (10-19-2023)
Old 08-22-2011, 06:22 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,197 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Funny thing about Shovels and oil leaks. Most people don't understand that they were designed to leak. The crankcase vent is exhausted to the atmosphere, unlike the EVOs and I'm sure later models that divert the crankcase venting back into the motor. Guess what? Those oily fumes eventually drip oil.

There is also an automatic chain oiler that drips oil on the secondary chain if the owner hasn't turned it off and uses grease or chain lubricant. If it is turned open too much, excess oil drips out.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:21 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,862 Likes on 6,237 Posts

Mine's got 200,000+ miles on it, but I don't ride it everyday. Over the years, it has been thoroughly gone through. The quality of replacement parts (like gaskets, electrical, etc) is better these days, even in the aftermarket. Each time I had to go inside, I made it better than it was originally. At this point, it requires no more extra maintenance than anything else. Wouldn't be afraid to ride that bike anywhere.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,971 Likes on 17,494 Posts

Your buddy doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground , anybody still bitching about AMF days is a possen **** who hasn't owned a shovel in the last 20 yrs . ALL the problems have a solution and 99.9% of the bikes out there have been fixed . Shovel was the last mans bike harley made get one if you've got a set .

The following users liked this post:
FLHS1990 (10-19-2023)
Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 AM
FlyLow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had alot of shovels and loved them all, there is no better Harley sound than the one a shovel makes. Go for it