EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Shovelution question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Shovelution question?

Now guys, don't get all indignant here, I'm just ASKING?

I know this is the Evo section so I am looking to tap some Evo knowledge, ideas and opinions. I currently have a 1996 Evo Low Rider. I also have a giant pile of Shovelhead parts that I may or may not someday get around to building back into a bike. My question is this..... Is it possible to bolt my Shovelhead jugs and heads to an Evo bottom end? The late model Evo's being top breathers and Shovels being bottom breather's like the early Evo's is also a concern. Has any one done this, or even heard of this being done? I "thought" the new Ultima Shovel motor was just this in fact, but I don't really know. Remember, I am just brainstorming and asking. I have no plans as of yet for anything like this, I just want to gather info before I make a fool of myself and start talking out my ***. So, can you bolt a Shovel top end on and Evo bottom end???

Please speak up with ANY knowledge of a Shovelution that you may have.
Thanks, Neil

Old 01-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen the opposite-shovel bottom with EVO top-according to the guy that did it,he just needed to relocate one stud on the case. I LOVE shovels-I just don't know as that I would want to give up the reliability of the EVO. Why not just buy a shovel? They are cheap these days! (Been looking at a few myself)

Old 01-31-2011, 11:56 AM
piperbob
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Getting oil up to heads might be a problem.

Bob
97 Heritage

Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,513 Likes on 5,464 Posts

The first Evos actually had shovel cases BUT they were machined for Evo from the get-go. probably could do it with bottom breather cases...but it obviously not worth the trouble or you would see a few around.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bikerlaw,just a suggestion but you might want to post this in the shovelhead section too.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:29 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
but it obviously not worth the trouble or you would see a few around.
Yeah, thats what I am thinking too. And you guys are right, I could just but another Shovel or put the parts I have together. But both of those would still cost a great deal and I was just thinking this might be a cheap easy alternative. After talking to my indy over lunch, it would require a complete tear down, machine work and a bundle of cash. His answer was get another bike running as well. Bet no one ever told that to Indian Larry...HA!

Old 01-31-2011, 02:25 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Yeah, thats what I am thinking too. And you guys are right, I could just but another Shovel or put the parts I have together. But both of those would still cost a great deal and I was just thinking this might be a cheap easy alternative. After talking to my indy over lunch, it would require a complete tear down, machine work and a bundle of cash. His answer was get another bike running as well. Bet no one ever told that to Indian Larry...HA!
Bet Indian Larry would have just done it.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:42 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Neil,

There was an elderly Swede used to turn up on the Isle of Man for the TT road races who got people scratching their heads. His bike was a monument to the bitza, as we call them over here - bitza this n that. Crankcases were a post-War BSA single as I recall, probably 350cc. Cylinder was iron and had much smaller fins than a BSA ever had. Head was also smaller, didn't look like it belonged to the cylinder and DEFINITELY didn't belong to the crankcases, as the head stud spacing was closer together. The studs were bent midway, to reach the heads from the crankcases.

The rest of the bike was made up of yet more mismatched parts, shotgun wedded together.

Was that the sort of thing you had in mind?! Times two, of course....

Old 01-31-2011, 04:27 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by yljkt
Bet Indian Larry would have just done it.
But Indian Larry had talent, I do not....bummed.

grbrown, no not really. I'm a Shovelhead guy at heart, but I just can't afford a stable full of bikes nor do I have a place to store a whole heard. I was just thinking that if I could fake my Evo into a Shovel clone while keeping the same basic reliable ride it is now, that might be cool. But alas, it looks like another motorcycle is the only real option at this point. Well, or 5 grand for one of those Ultima Bolt In Shovel clone motors they sell at Jireh. But thats absurdly out of the budget right now.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:35 PM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen running shovels for $3500.00! Put away your pennies and shop around-you might be surprised by what you find!

Quick Reply: Shovelution question?