General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Banning Loud Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Baggs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hmmm......

Assuming that being paranoid had any slim chance of validity, the government could give two ***** less wheather you get smoked, or not. The folks who care are the insurance companies who have to pay for your ultimate demise. Making noise out the back of your bike will in all probability, not alert a driver who seeks nirvana via text messaging. Better lighting, or hi viz clothes, or an upgraded horn, may help save yer carcass but, I just haven't seen a loud exhaust system make a difference in the 50+ years I've been riding. I get a little kick out of the cops pulling over all those 5 over "speeders" and I slide by on the wing making some serious time.

Baggs

Old 09-24-2011, 12:10 PM
LarryV
Novice

How did the comments on Loud Pipes morf to taxes and buget disputes???

Old 09-24-2011, 12:11 PM
LarryV
Novice

That's "budget".

Old 09-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Baggs
Advanced
Default well..........

I may be wrong but, I think it got around to who to blame for anti noise legislation, and that of course changing the laws to more restrictive legislation makes for less places to ride.

For me i am happy with my stock pipes, and the bike goes down the road just fine as is. Back about 30 or 40 years ago I wanted lots a noise and as much speed as I could get but, I grew up and old, and now I just like to go for a ride.

Baggs

Old 09-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't the government have bigger fish to fry?

Despite the fact that a few extremely loud people are annoying to the general public from time to time, I think if you let people start to 'govern' your little freedoms it opens up a very dangerous door. Motorcyclists are already picked on by default as a symbol of rebellion by all levels of authority. How **** do you have to be to focus an entire bill on motorcycle exhaust that doesn't have to do with pollution? At a time when the American culture has been reduced to a Chinese debt you'd think they'd want to promote Harley Davidson American tradition and the industries around it not take bites and nibbles out of it.

Here's a thought - why not use that effort and time to focus on putting people back to work and fixing the broken legislation? You know - bigger fish.

Morons with authority - ie: Politicians - make me want to explode. Does that make me a hippy?

Old 09-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Baggs
Advanced
Default well......

I think you are correct in the nibbling thing except for one thing. We already have current legislation in about all states and maybe provinces, that dictate the rules about modifying ones exhaust systems? There are a lot of things that may be "cool" but, if they start to offend the general population then they are gonna get looked at. We have a few places in the US where motorcycles are illegal, Period. That means no bikes at all at any time ever. This came about because of loud offensive pipes in areas where the folks with the money were also the ones that made the laws and they fixed it. I have to think they weren't really po'd at my Gold Wing or even my FLHTC as long as they had stock exhaust but, sure as anything some who think it's funny to rattle peoples windows, did it, and bingo. Motorcycles were outlawed in toto and now I can't ride my quiet *** Wing there either. I have rights too and they were taken away from me by some selfish people who didn't care what they did or who they hurt. Where do we draw the line on who gets to screw who when it comes to things that will draw to much attention and then in turn force more oppresive legislation to control it?

Old 09-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Redcad
Advanced

Originally Posted by leicafish
The whole sad thing is we as a community brought this upon ourselves.

All it take is for the idiots with loud pipes to stay off the throttle through town and neighborhoods. That simple.

So true. I love the sound of Harleys, but I realize not everyone does.
A deeper sound than stock is nice, but some are real loud and some yahoos rev it up waiting for lights.

Still have the stock exhaust on my FXDC because I can ride anywhere at any time and hardly be noticed. I don't buy the loud pipes are safer argument; someone making a left into you is not hearing your bike.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

I think a little rumble around stupid drivers to keep their attention up is a good thing. But then there's a few riders who become purposefully obnoxious for no other reason than just to **** people off. It makes a bad name for the the majority of riders who ride for the love riding!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
taillights
4th Gear

Originally Posted by LarryV
How did the comments on Loud Pipes morf to taxes and buget disputes???
i'm just surprised it stayed focused as long as it did.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Baggs
Advanced
Default hmmmm........well....

The first post of this thread mentioned possible problems if you plan to attend the New Hampshire event with a loud set a pipes.

Quick Reply: Banning Loud Pipes?