General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Banning Loud Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:14 AM
BluesStringer
Road Master

Received 690 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Who clearly has brain damage from a motorcycle accident years ago....
Just curious, were you aware of Busey's off-screen persona before the accident? It was a burn-out doing a burn-out that caused the accident, not the lack of a helmet.

You want to drive on roads maintained by the government, with a license issued by them? There are two fundamentals, wear a seat belt or wear a helmet, really simple, doesn't hurt.
Yeah, everybody's "pro-choice" until it comes to helmets, seat belts, guns, open carry etc. etc. etc. Whatever hurts freedom to choose one's own way (as long as their choices hurt no one else), decidedly does hurt.

You are aware that there are still states where those "fundamentals," at least as regards helmets, are still left to the rider to choose, right? In fact, there are several more free or partially free states than mandatory helmet law states, so that kinda throws that "fundamental" stuff out the window. Individual liberty is the most "fundamental" meme running throughout the Constitution and Bill of Rights, and bikers have been on the losing side of liberty-killing legislation for all four+ decades that I've been riding.

Clearly you missed that "ask Gary Busey" was sarcasm because his brain damage from his helmetless accident is very obvious.
Clearly, it is up to the writer to make their sarcasm apparent, not the reader, but thanks for the clarification. Still, Busey's injuries were not sustained because he lacked a helmet, they were sustained because he tried to do a stunt that was beyond his capabilities as a rider. A whack-job is still a whack-job with or without a helmet.

If helmets are such the wonderful life-saving implements as government imagines them to be, then why is their use illegal in cars nearly everywhere in the country? Helmets only even have the potential to effect the safety of one part of the human anatomy, and yet traumatic brain injury due to (all) vehicle crashes is only about 14% of all TBIs in the nation, and a relatively small minority of those are sustained by motorcycle riders (or passengers). Helmets would do the most good for society in cages, yet even some bikers only see them as a "fundamental" necessity for bikers. What's up with that?

Don't hate on me because I don't like helmet laws, hate on me because I know how easy it is to prove the fallacy of their effectiveness. Same goes for legislation regulating loud pipes. They do absolutely nothing to cure any ill of society. They lessen freedom and increase government intrusion in our lives.

I ride a motorcycle because it's the best way to simulate being free, because there is no such thing as real freedom in this country anymore, and helmet laws and loud pipes bans are two among thousands prima facie proofs of that assertion.

Blues

Old 10-13-2015, 08:29 AM
13dino
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,253 Likes on 1,133 Posts

This article should clear the air concerning Gary Busey, ""Yet to hear Busey, 44, tell it,"

..."Passing Bartels', I approached a corner where a bus was letting off passengers. I swung to the left of the bus, then turned right in front of it to turn onto the cross street, which leads to the freeway. But the cross street had an island, and I had to turn more sharply than I had anticipated. There were gravel and rocks and a little bit of slickness on the street, too, and I went into a skid. I hit my rear brake, which is what you're not supposed to do with a big bike—and it whipped around like a fish.

The bike slammed into the curb and threw me over the windshield. I came down on the curb headfirst, hitting the back of my head, then the right side of my head and then my back. Wop-wop-wop! Then I was out. Gone.""...

http://www.people.com/people/archive...120285,00.html

Last edited by 13dino; 10-13-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:44 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,131 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by 13dino
This article should clear the air concerning Gary Busey, ""Yet to hear Busey, 44, tell it,"

..."Passing Bartels', I approached a corner where a bus was letting off passengers. I swung to the left of the bus, then turned right in front of it to turn onto the cross street, which leads to the freeway. But the cross street had an island, and I had to turn more sharply than I had anticipated. There were gravel and rocks and a little bit of slickness on the street, too, and I went into a skid. I hit my rear brake, which is what you're not supposed to do with a big bike—and it whipped around like a fish.

The bike slammed into the curb and threw me over the windshield. I came down on the curb headfirst, hitting the back of my head, then the right side of my head and then my back. Wop-wop-wop! Then I was out. Gone.""...

So...WTH does this have to do with the title of this thread "banning loud pipes"?

Old 10-13-2015, 09:05 AM
13dino
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,253 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Quote:
Clearly you missed that "ask Gary Busey" was sarcasm because his brain damage from his helmetless accident is very obvious.

And SBROB, there is more in here about just that with ignorant name calling! So, reason for my response of what actually happened to clear others misconception and resulting conniption fits. Simple enough, eh! Apologize to all for going off topic as I knew it was, soo...Nothing wrong with loud pipes to me and don't care to argue about it.

Last edited by 13dino; 10-13-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:23 AM
BluesStringer
Road Master

Originally Posted by 13dino

Busey's account is at wide variance with eye witness accounts of the day. No witness ever said he was "passing" Bartel's, he was leaving the dealership. His bike was parked with the back wheel against the curb on the street, he did a burn-out while turning, high-sided, got thrown on the opposite side of the turn and landed on the curb. Even at that though, that article was published just five months after the accident, and it says what every biker who lived in SoCal at the time already knew about Busey; it wasn't until 1991 when he became a turncoat against individual liberty and started supporting the proposed CA helmet law in direct contradiction to what he said to People two years earlier. To wit:

To the distress of Busey's wife, Judy, and their 17-year-old son, Jake, one thing that hasn't changed is Busey's love of motorcycles and his refusal to wear a helmet while riding. For years, he and fellow bikers including Jay Leno have been among the most vocal opponents of laws requiring protective headgear, despite the fact that 142,000 Americans are injured in motorcyle accidents each year.
Busey and Gov. Wilson both defected from the opposition side of the helmet law in CA. Wilson's promise to veto the helmet law was broken two days after he reiterated it for the umpteenth time for the benefit of tens of thousands of bikers who went to Sacramento to extract that exact same promise from him. I know - I was one of them - and that promise was pretty much the reason that many, if not most of us, went home Saturday after he said it instead of hanging around for the last-ditch Sunday rally before the Monday veto ceremony which turned into a Governor's signing ceremony within two days of Wilson promising the veto. Busey, having fought with us against helmet law legislation for at least two of the three years between his accident and that weekend, did a complete about face and went from freedom-fighter one day, to traitor the next. He is a pariah amongst freedom-loving bikers around the world because of it.

Busey hasn't known "what really happened" to him or anybody else since long before the day of the accident. He was known in SoCal as a whack-job before the accident, and it's been beyond obvious that he's been a whack-job ever since the crash to the general public well beyond Hollywood.

"What really happened" was chronicled just a couple of weeks after the crash by the guy who opened Bartels' on a Sunday so Busey could get his bike after a windshield had been installed. Coincidentally, his account was also run in People Mag. Part of what he said is in quotes, and part is paraphrased by the writer. Decide for yourself if Busey's account makes sense in light of the fact that he was "Barely 100 feet out of Bartels' door..." when it all went South. He wasn't "passing" Bartels' like the People piece that you posted allowed him to get away with lying about, he was leaving Bartels' in burn-out fashion and he lost it because he was an inexperienced rider.

The End.

Blues

Old 10-13-2015, 12:12 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

[QUOTE=BluesStringer;14478300]

If helmets are such the wonderful life-saving implements as government imagines them to be, then why is their use illegal in cars nearly everywhere in the country? Helmets only even have the potential to effect the safety of one part of the human anatomy, and yet traumatic brain injury due to (all) vehicle crashes is only about 14% of all TBIs in the nation, and a relatively small minority of those are sustained by motorcycle riders (or passengers)/QUOTE]

Helmets aren't required in cars because car drivers wouldn't stand for it. And they have the numbers(votes) to make their choice mean something. Unlike the 'political force' a comparatively small number of motorcycle riders possess. Especially since this "comparatively small number of motorcycle riders" is not made up of 'real' motorcycle riders that will band together in defiance of any societal pressure to prevent injuries/costs to society.

That 14% is meaningless when considering the value of helmets. The value of helmets is how many riders bounce their heads on something solid and sustain no, or a greatly reduced, injury. That is a figure that can't be known. It would require an examination of the results of every crash. And of every ride that resulted in a possible, except for the helmet, injury to a rider.

Yes "Helmets only even have the potential to effect the safety of one part of the human anatomy". But trust me, that part of the 'human anatomy' is the most important. And the most easily severely damaged. 'Free choice' is great, just make that choice carefully.

Like the choice of having loud pipes, and riding in such a manner as to generate social pressure against the freedom to choose which pipes to use. It is really very simple.
Helmet use, or load pipes, are subject to the rules/regulations of society. Like it, fair, or not most of society doesn't/wouldn't ride a motorcycle and controls those of us that do ride.

Last edited by rjg883c; 10-13-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:56 PM
BluesStringer
Road Master

Originally Posted by bluesstringer
if helmets are such the wonderful life-saving implements as government imagines them to be, then why is their use illegal in cars nearly everywhere in the country? Helmets only even have the potential to effect the safety of one part of the human anatomy, and yet traumatic brain injury due to (all) vehicle crashes is only about 14% of all tbis in the nation, and a relatively small minority of those are sustained by motorcycle riders (or passengers)

Originally Posted by rjg883c
helmets aren't required in cars because car drivers wouldn't stand for it.
This is absolutely true, with a couple of caveats that i'll get to in a minute. But it answers a question that i didn't ask. I asked why helmets were illegal when driving a car, not why they are not required. Of course, the answer to the question i actually asked is a logical one that has little to nothing to do with political power and majorities and all that. The answer is that helmets reduce visibility and hearing, which is also true on a bike, but it's only when talking about bikes that political power and majority rules come into play. In other words, bikers' liberties and safety are political footballs when talking about helmet laws. I'm not arguing that helmets have no place in street level motorcycling, i'm arguing that helmet laws have no place in a free society, regardless of pressures from the majority who know next to nothing about the efficacy of helmets in the first place.

and they have the numbers(votes) to make their choice mean something. Unlike the 'political force' a comparatively small number of motorcycle riders possess. Especially since this "comparatively small number of motorcycle riders" is not made up of 'real' motorcycle riders that will band together in defiance of any societal pressure to prevent injuries/costs to society.
Yes, of course, that ol' "public burden" canard. I've never ridden a single mile without insurance, a short period of time being before insurance was required by the state. I've ridden many thousands of miles without a helmet, about half of them in CA between ~1973 and 1991 when the helmet law passed, and neither I nor any of the friends I rode with were ever a public burden in the slightest. Well, at least not a burden to those who know how to mind their own business and only ask/demand that government criminalize only that behavior which actually harms someone else. The "public burden" meme loses all validity once one realizes that occupants of cages would benefit in orders of magnitude more by wearing helmets than bikers do, and it's precisely because of the small numbers of bikers out there compared against nearly the entire population who either ride or drive in cars that you allude to above.

that 14% is meaningless when considering the value of helmets.
The 14% that I referenced was the total number of traumatic brain injuries sustained in all vehicle crashes. It had nothing to do with measuring "value" of helmets, or more to the point I was attempting to make, the "value" of helmet laws.

the value of helmets is how many riders bounce their heads on something solid and sustain no, or a greatly reduced, injury. That is a figure that can't be known.
Sure, and the value of individual liberty is manifested in how many riders get to make the decision for themselves whether or not manufacturers' claims of protection at highway speeds is worth the buffeting in the wind, the decreased visibility and hearing, the risk of neck injury in a collision and on and on and on. It's not nearly as one-sided an argument as advocates for government intervention in individuals' decision-making processes would have us believe.

it would require an examination of the results of every crash. And of every ride that resulted in a possible, except for the helmet, injury to a rider.
It wouldn't require such stringent examinations of individual crashes if actual studies were conducted in an honest attempt to suss out the validity of any and all sides of a given issue facing bikers. Please consider this:

Officials don't tell you how many neck injuries are caused by helmets. When air bags were found to hurt and kill children, nhtsa aggressively studied the situation and determined that they are, in fact, safe "if" used correctly, but that they can kill if not. As a result, air bags are not mandatory and can be disconnected legally. This begs the question, since there are cases where riders have sustained neck injury from their helmet, why isn't this being studied so that we can once and for all, all know the pros and cons of helmets. Like air bags, helmets should be a matter of freedom of choice.
Yes "helmets only even have the potential to effect the safety of one part of the human anatomy". But trust me, that part of the 'human anatomy' is the most important. And the most easily severely damaged. 'free choice' is great, just make that choice carefully.
I would dearly love to have the freedom to make that choice carefully, but living in Alabama, I don't. I only live a few miles from the FL state line though, and that's the only state in the deep South that still has freedom legalized in that regard, so I ride there often enough to refresh my thirst for freedom.

Like the choice of having loud pipes, and riding in such a manner as to generate social pressure against the freedom to choose which pipes to use. It is really very simple.
Helmet use, or load pipes, are subject to the rules/regulations of society. Like it, fair, or not most of society doesn't/wouldn't ride a motorcycle and controls those of us that do ride.
Which only serves to validate what I've already said - We don't live in a free country anymore if it can be so cavalierly said that the tyranny of the clueless and ignorant majority can limit the freedoms of the (or *any*) minority concerning issues that actually harm no one except in relatively rare cases, the person making the free decision.

Just to make sure that people understand, I view helmet laws and loud pipes laws as one issue - a freedom issue - and I don't really think anything that's been said about helmet laws is off-topic. The thread was started a few years ago with a post decrying the intrusion by government into bikers' lives with a legislative proposal forcing compliance with EPA noise standards in NH at the time. That some bikers think there's a legislative "solution" to other bikers exercising their free will in a different way than they themselves would is the issue here as far as I'm concerned, and that doesn't mean that I'd ride as loudly as I could in neighborhoods or would forego wearing a helmet in any and all situations. It just means that freedom is more important to me than acquiescing it away to government's control just because the majority of voters are willing to do it to themselves.

Blues

Old 10-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BluesStringer
Just curious, were you aware of Busey's off-screen persona before the accident? It was a burn-out doing a burn-out that caused the accident, not the lack of a helmet.
Are you completely missing the fact he has obvious and documented brain damage? The structure of his face even changed.

Yeah, everybody's "pro-choice" until it comes to helmets, seat belts, guns, open carry etc. etc. etc. Whatever hurts freedom to choose one's own way (as long as their choices hurt no one else), decidedly does hurt.

You are aware that there are still states where those "fundamentals," at least as regards helmets, are still left to the rider to choose, right? In fact, there are several more free or partially free states than mandatory helmet law states, so that kinda throws that "fundamental" stuff out the window. Individual liberty is the most "fundamental" meme running throughout the Constitution and Bill of Rights, and bikers have been on the losing side of liberty-killing legislation for all four+ decades that I've been riding.

Clearly, it is up to the writer to make their sarcasm apparent, not the reader, but thanks for the clarification. Still, Busey's injuries were not sustained because he lacked a helmet, they were sustained because he tried to do a stunt that was beyond his capabilities as a rider. A whack-job is still a whack-job with or without a helmet.
No, it has NOTHING to do with freedom. Its fundamental because it is the most essential safety gear on a bike. Just like a seatbelt in a car. But you dont' argue that one do you? Because you look just as cool wearing a seatbelt.

If helmets are such the wonderful life-saving implements as government imagines them to be, then why is their use illegal in cars nearly everywhere in the country? Helmets only even have the potential to effect the safety of one part of the human anatomy, and yet traumatic brain injury due to (all) vehicle crashes is only about 14% of all TBIs in the nation, and a relatively small minority of those are sustained by motorcycle riders (or passengers). Helmets would do the most good for society in cages, yet even some bikers only see them as a "fundamental" necessity for bikers. What's up with that?

Don't hate on me because I don't like helmet laws, hate on me because I know how easy it is to prove the fallacy of their effectiveness. Same goes for legislation regulating loud pipes. They do absolutely nothing to cure any ill of society. They lessen freedom and increase government intrusion in our lives.

I ride a motorcycle because it's the best way to simulate being free, because there is no such thing as real freedom in this country anymore, and helmet laws and loud pipes bans are two among thousands prima facie proofs of that assertion.

Blues
They are illegal because with windows and pillars, they obstruct. Not as much though on a bike, huh?

And you know what else? You cannot get on a track anywhere in a car running 13.99 or quicker OR any road circuit WITHOUT a SNELL or FIA approved helmet. Now WHY is that? Have you heard of any racers of cars or bikes protest helmets? Nope. None.

A secondary injury FROM a helmet? That's a new argument (except for the false neck trauma argument). And it's secondary, not primary. Injury data (usually old) is confounded by older vehicles, side impacts without airbags and improper seatbelt use.

The best way to be free is going for a hike. That way there are no loud pipes (because people abuse that), no gas that is taxed, and no electronics to fail on you. That's true freedom. Do you protest anti-nudity laws too? More government control...

Old 10-13-2015, 07:08 PM
Mikerthebiker
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Loud Pipes

Originally Posted by gijobean
i run straight pipes and plan on keeping them as such. If the law fines me then i pay unless there is a way around it. If you don't like riding next to my bike then it is your right to stay back to a distance that is good for your sinsitive ears. As for the general public, the short amount of time that you deal with my pipes isn't enough for you to care. If you do, then my pipes have accomplished their intended purpose. They have gotten your attention and we all know that is what it is all about. Have fun and enjoy my ear splitting pipes. I know i will!!!
what?!!!

Old 10-14-2015, 08:20 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

the value of helmets is how many riders bounce their heads on something solid and sustain no, or a greatly reduced, injury. That is a figure that can't be known.

Originally Posted by BluesStringer

Sure, and the value of individual liberty is manifested in how many riders get to make the decision for themselves whether or not manufacturers' claims of protection at highway speeds is worth the buffeting in the wind, the decreased visibility and hearing, the risk of neck injury in a collision and on and on and on. It's not nearly as one-sided an argument as advocates for government intervention in individuals' decision-making processes would have us believe.
You really don't understand my point/concern. It is sort of ironic, but the best way to ensure freedom is not to give examples of why it should not be used. At this point in time, there are far less motorcycles registered, and especially actually used on the streets, then cages. My concern is if there are too many injuries, and I know there are head injuries in cages also but simple logic makes it obvious that such injuries are more easily received in a motorcycle accident, society will take steps to reduce said injuries. Steps which cage drivers, because they have numbers on their side, wouldn't accept.

??? "buffeting in the wind, the decreased visibility and hearing, the risk of neck injury in a collision and on and on and on". This is subjective and some people would even say 'nonsense'.

Freedom is a great thing, but we only have as much as we are allowed to have. Don't let your blind pursuit of 'freedom' color your understanding of motorcycle rider's role/importance in society. Especially when it comes to things that would shock society, head injuries, or irritate society, loud pipes.

Last edited by rjg883c; 10-14-2015 at 08:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Banning Loud Pipes?