General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Banning Loud Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,067 Likes on 6,791 Posts

The abbreviation for decibel is "dB", in case someone needs to know that.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:51 PM
BluesStringer
Road Master

Received 690 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks24
I will be over tonight to set up my 14 piece drum kit, out in front of your house, to play all night. I am sure you won't mind.
The jam session starts at 8:00. It's pot-luck, so try to bring something that everyone will like. Everyone who's going to be here likes loud pipes to go with their Nachos (or whatever). My guitar amp has been on the fritz for a bit, so don't be surprised if I improvise my solos with revving my bike and chainsaw if a swift kick to the head doesn't wake my amp up. I might even do an NFA-compliant solo with one of my full-auto weapons just for poops and giggles. Did I mention that I live waaaay out in the country, and that to be "out in front of" my house you'd either be more than half a mile away where your drumming probably wouldn't even drown out the cicadas, crickets or bullfrogs, or actually on my property?

If I were a less welcoming sort though, and you set up your gear just to prove a point that I can be bugged by noise, which certainly, I can be, I promise I won't write my Congress-critter and ask them to pass a law making your point-making scheme illegal. Instead, I'd talk to you first to see if we couldn't come to agreeable terms about your attempt to prove a point against me on my own property, and if we couldn't, I'd just eject you off my property the way I would any other unwanted trespasser.

I realize it was an attempt at light-heartedness to make your point, but loud pipes on public roads is hardly analogous to trying to make a point by trespassing on private property and drumming me and my family into oblivion. Either way though, I would never call cops or law-makers to handle for me what any grown man should be able to handle himself, that being, a simple and fairly trivial dispute between adults.

Blues

Last edited by BluesStringer; 10-10-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:34 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BluesStringer
The jam session starts at 8:00. It's pot-luck, so try to bring something that everyone will like. Everyone who's going to be here likes loud pipes to go with their Nachos (or whatever). My guitar amp has been on the fritz for a bit, so don't be surprised if I improvise my solos with revving my bike and chainsaw if a swift kick to the head doesn't wake my amp up. I might even do an NFA-compliant solo with one of my full-auto weapons just for poops and giggles. Did I mention that I live waaaay out in the country, and that to be "out in front of" my house you'd either be more than half a mile away where your drumming probably wouldn't even drown out the cicadas, crickets or bullfrogs, or actually on my property?

If I were a less welcoming sort though, and you set up your gear just to prove a point that I can be bugged by noise, which certainly, I can be, I promise I won't write my Congress-critter and ask them to pass a law making your point-making scheme illegal. Instead, I'd talk to you first to see if we couldn't come to agreeable terms about your attempt to prove a point against me on my own property, and if we couldn't, I'd just eject you off my property the way I would any other unwanted trespasser.

I realize it was an attempt at light-heartedness to make your point, but loud pipes on public roads is hardly analogous to trying to make a point by trespassing on private property and drumming me and my family into oblivion. Either way though, I would never call cops or law-makers to handle for me what any grown man should be able to handle himself, that being, a simple and fairly trivial dispute between adults.

Blues
Sound like my kind of brother.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:39 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarah93003
The abbreviation for decibel is "dB", in case someone needs to know that.
Nice bike ..

Old 10-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Rocket Rider
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Definitely some excellent points have been made in this thread- for both sides of the "loud pipes" issue. Obviously a heated topic with some! Whether you ride with stock pipes or aftermarket pipes, I think we can all agree that common sense and ultra-defensive driving abilities are a riders best assets. Safe travels fellow H-D riders!

Old 10-11-2015, 08:10 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Loud pipes may or may not save lives, but they sure as hell save my libido 'cause at 63 yrs old, I still get a woody every time I hear 'em!

Old 10-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Ridehard4ever
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it's rather funny that motorcycle noise is the big issue. I think with all the other issues in the world, those of us that like loud pipes can have them. It's part of what makes a Harley a Harley, in my opinion. If you want a bike that makes no noise at all, a company called Honda sells them, you should check them out. Otherwise, stop your griping about loud pipes.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:09 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridehard4ever
Yeah, it's rather funny that motorcycle noise is the big issue. I think with all the other issues in the world, those of us that like loud pipes can have them. It's part of what makes a Harley a Harley, in my opinion. If you want a bike that makes no noise at all, a company called Honda sells them, you should check them out. Otherwise, stop your griping about loud pipes.

I don't think that most here are against loud pipes but trying to make the point to go easy on the throttle if the situation should warrant it.

You know, like rolling through a neighborhood or in town or a db just blipping the throttle just to hear the pipes and to bring attention to themselves.

A Harley isn't a Harley if it doesn't make that sound that we all (most) desire, it's just there is a time and place for everything.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Ridehard4ever
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hippie49
I don't think that most here are against loud pipes but trying to make the point to go easy on the throttle if the situation should warrant it.

You know, like rolling through a neighborhood or in town or a db just blipping the throttle just to hear the pipes and to bring attention to themselves.

A Harley isn't a Harley if it doesn't make that sound that we all (most) desire, it's just there is a time and place for everything.

For those that are fine with that noise, I do agree, time and place for everything. But there were some on here equating loud pipes to being some kind of moron...that they won't ride with guys with loud pipes due to noise, those are the ones i am talking to. They should go get Hondas cuz we don't need them.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:33 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
You want me to ask about "common sense" from a Crack Head ??
Who clearly has brain damage from a motorcycle accident years ago....

Originally Posted by BluesStringer
Using a helmet may well be common sense. Likewise, leaving people to choose for themselves what common sense means to them in a so-called free country is also a common sense idea. Forcing "common" sense at the point of a government gun seems extremely tyrannical to me though, and asking Gary Busey so much as the color of the sky on an unclouded day seems like proof positive that the questioner lacks any common sense at all, and that was true long before he cracked his head on a curb by doing a burn-out when leaving Bartels' Harley in Culver City, CA close to 30 years ago now.

If the answer is "Ask Gary Busey," somebody is asking the wroooooong questions.

Blues
You want to drive on roads maintained by the government, with a license issued by them? There are two fundamentals, wear a seat belt or wear a helmet, really simple, doesn't hurt.

Clearly you missed that "ask Gary Busey" was sarcasm because his brain damage from his helmetless accident is very obvious.

Quick Reply: Banning Loud Pipes?