General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Banning Loud Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,337 Likes on 3,847 Posts

I say loud pipes now, loud pipes tomorrow, loud pipes forever.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

If the pipes are too loud, you're too old.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:35 PM
jp49
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
If the pipes are too loud, you're too old.
gee what a nice thing to say... you just made my day i am not as old as i thought!!

Old 10-09-2015, 09:08 AM
BluesStringer
Road Master

Received 690 Likes on 367 Posts

First Harley, 19 years old, 1974. Straight pipes, had her for three or four years, never pulled over for anything, noise or otherwise. Location was Torrance/Redondo Beach/Long Beach, SoCal:

Six or seven bikes and 17 years later, most (not all) of them with straight pipes in various SoCal neighborhoods, my first Evo with un-baffled upsweeps. Only bike I've ever been pulled over on, about a block or three from home, sitting at a red light, saw the cop in the mini-mall parking lot, tried to take off as quietly as possible but it did no good, got a noise tix, put a set of shorty baffles in, went to the CHP sub-station and got it signed off, took the baffles back out and never got pulled over again before moving to Alabama about a year later.

I'm on my sixth bike in Alabama now, and the current one is the only one that doesn't have straight pipes, which is fine because it's no kind of hot-rod anyway. She's a Road King with some kind of Screamin' Eagle slip-ons (don't know what they are exactly - she came that way). This is my first bagger, first FL of any year/description, and the SEs give enough rumble to satisfy me, so I don't anticipate ever changin' them out.

With all those bikes and in all that time, I've only ever had one non-cop person say a word to me about the noise, and that was a guy whose sound shop was located at the end of my street when we first moved to Bama. He just mentioned it in passing while we happened to be sitting in the booth behind him at Shoney's one morning. He asked if I liked 'em that loud, I replied that I didn't think they were any louder than some of the kids' music coming out of the cars he installed stereo systems in, he said yeah, you got a point there, we laughed and went on talking about other mundane things while we ate our breakfast.

It's kinda funny to see people buy into the meme that people who (_______________ fill in the blank) "...screw it up for the rest of us" when it comes to government intrusion into our personal lives. Government's prime directive is to intrude in our lives. Nothing we could ever do or refrain from doing will ever change that. If you don't like riding near or next to my loud pipes, fortunately, there's no legislation (yet) intruding into your ability to make the decision for yourself not to ride near or next to me. Exercise your own decision-making powers, and I will do the same. Otherwise, quit your bellyaching about free men and women exercising their own free will to equip their rides as they see fit. It's called "freedom." Live it, love it, embrace it.

Blues

Old 10-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

3 tools in my neighborhood decided to drag race on a 2 lane residential 25mph road, with a soundwall on one side, houses on the other. Hit 70mph plus, one in the opposite lane at night. All on Harleys. Yeah, those ******** are great for our cause.

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Care to post on the internet that you have loud pipes.
I HAVE LOUD PIPES. And before the mandated EPA stamp....

Originally Posted by 5150northrider
My right to disturb everything in a 2 block radius is my right
Nope, its your violation.

It has been in place since 1978 and states that one cannot modify or replace ANY motor vehicle exhaust system unless it is OEM.
FALSE. Moss-Magnuson act allows aftermarket replacements and your reference is to the emissions/catalytic converter operation.

Originally Posted by Rocket Rider
Personnally, in over 40 years of motorcycling, I've never felt the need to modify or change the exhaust on any motorcycle I've ever owned- including the latest three Harleys. Aftermarket pipes is definitely "big business" and a substantial money-maker, so I doubt that these companies will ever relent in their promotion of "loud pipes save lives" even though statistical evidence is lacking.
Don't need statistics. How do count an accident that never happened? I wouldn't ride a quiet bike unless cars were autonomous.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:42 PM
BluesStringer
Road Master

Received 690 Likes on 367 Posts

Admittedly I'm new here, and could probably find at least one version of an answer to this question if I tried, but I keep seeing references to "our cause" (or something similar), and I'm not intentionally being a smart *** when I say I have no idea what "cause" it is that I've apparently been drafted into believing in. If "our" cause is the same that I advocate for on other sites devoted to general or specific political issues, that being the cause of demanding that government leave us the heck alone, then no problem, I'll volunteer with wild abandon for that cause. With the widely-varying opinions of something so simple as making your Harley sound like a Harley being promulgated in this thread though, I seriously doubt there's any consensus on what "our" collective cause might be.

I guess I kind of fancy myself as being of Groucho Marx's ilk in that I'm hesitant to join any club that would have me as a member. "Our" cause sounds so confining to me. I just want to be free to live and ride how, when, where I want, certainly within traffic laws etc., but I really don't want or need anyone, government especially, telling me I have to wear a helmet, or have to limit my decibels so that nobody anywhere at any time of day or night will be bugged, which is literally an impossible standard anyway, so why not just grin and bear it when you see or hear someone getting their knees in the breeze their way, and not try to limit their options literally with the threat of government violence against them if they don't comply? I'll join the "our cause" crowd if that's what's being touted. Otherwise, leave me out of the mess that always ensues when others expect people to adopt and adapt to their causes. Thanks in advance.

Blues

Old 10-09-2015, 05:47 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

You don't seem to understand. The Federal law already applies in all 50 States. It does not need any local ratification. However state and local government can add there own in order to keep those fines. The federal fine for exceeding the limit is $10,000 per citation. Care to post on the internet that you have loud pipes.

The State of California EPA fined Jesse James $300,000 for the non compliant bikes he sold. He got mad and left California. Cost the state more that that each year for the loss of his company. The went after V&H for over 1.2 million dollars for selling non compliant exhaust system and the same for another major brand.

No EPA has went against an individual yet but they need more money so don't hold your breath.

So which Federal agents should we look out for? They just might very well have "bigger fish to fry" also, but who knows?

The big problem I can see with this is that things like the legalization of marijuana is a violation of federal regulations but it has been okayed by some states now. Shouldn't they be arresting the people who "made it legal" and imposing fines on them?
Also, what about the cars that have fart can mufflers on them? Muscle cars and trucks?

Cool....one more reason to NOT live in Kalifornia!! A particular states rules don't hold much water out of that state anyway. So trying to scare people into changing their pipes who don't live in that state is futile.

I guess there is no such things as loud pipes since it was passed in 1978. They nipped that in the bud real quick!!

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 10-09-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:11 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

So I just looked up your noise control act of 1978. Seems it started in 1972, and went essentially out of effect in 1982. It is still "on the books" but has zero funding so as to put everything on the state and local government.
So basically there is no one to inforce this regulation.....

Old 10-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BluesStringer
Admittedly I'm new here, and could probably find at least one version of an answer to this question if I tried, but I keep seeing references to "our cause" (or something similar), and I'm not intentionally being a smart *** when I say I have no idea what "cause" it is that I've apparently been drafted into believing in. If "our" cause is the same that I advocate for on other sites devoted to general or specific political issues, that being the cause of demanding that government leave us the heck alone, then no problem, I'll volunteer with wild abandon for that cause. With the widely-varying opinions of something so simple as making your Harley sound like a Harley being promulgated in this thread though, I seriously doubt there's any consensus on what "our" collective cause might be.

I guess I kind of fancy myself as being of Groucho Marx's ilk in that I'm hesitant to join any club that would have me as a member. "Our" cause sounds so confining to me. I just want to be free to live and ride how, when, where I want, certainly within traffic laws etc., but I really don't want or need anyone, government especially, telling me I have to wear a helmet, or have to limit my decibels so that nobody anywhere at any time of day or night will be bugged, which is literally an impossible standard anyway, so why not just grin and bear it when you see or hear someone getting their knees in the breeze their way, and not try to limit their options literally with the threat of government violence against them if they don't comply? I'll join the "our cause" crowd if that's what's being touted. Otherwise, leave me out of the mess that always ensues when others expect people to adopt and adapt to their causes. Thanks in advance.

Blues
Fine, MY CAUSE.

There is noticeable, and there is being an ******* in a neighborhood. If you're the later, I hope you pay the price.

A helmet is common sense. Ask Gary Busey.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:22 PM
JamStar
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a general reply to the title of this thread...

Gosh, it seems to me...

Ride what you like. Use common sense. Don't be a dick.

Quick Reply: Banning Loud Pipes?