General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Banning Loud Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Daninjax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guitarfish
Shameless link here - give 'er a listen, what do you guys think?
Sounds good to me. My 883 has straight slip-ons that sound a lot like that too. My Dyna TC 88 has a stage one with V&H 2 into 1 exhaust and I upgraded the cams to Andrews TW37 .510 lift. It sounds great, IMO. A bit loud, but a nice deep rumble...that's how I like it. Far less annoying than the high-pitched wail of some of the sport bikes I hear.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:40 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

ILMFBLILMFBL
Road Captain

What you don't understand is the Federal EPA regulation is an administrative rule not enforced by police but by agents. It has been in place since 1978 and states that one cannot modify or replace ANY motor vehicle exhaust system unless it is OEM.

Just why do you think that your mufflers came with a stamped into it message about the year and engine it is legal for?

You can only get a administrative hearing. If that doesn't work then it can be appealed to an Appellate Court the cost of which would be more than the value of your bike along with the almost impossible task of getting it set aside.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:04 PM
Rocket Rider
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm not sure about other states, but Illinois law states:

(625 ILCS 5/12-602) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12-602)
Sec. 12-602. Mufflers, prevention of noise.
Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section. (Source: P.A. 77-37.)

Personnally, in over 40 years of motorcycling, I've never felt the need to modify or change the exhaust on any motorcycle I've ever owned- including the latest three Harleys. Aftermarket pipes is definitely "big business" and a substantial money-maker, so I doubt that these companies will ever relent in their promotion of "loud pipes save lives" even though statistical evidence is lacking.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 627 Likes on 389 Posts

It's only a matter of time before loud pipes are a thing of the past. Enjoy them while you can.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:14 AM
chromepony
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JimAndHisDyna
When I got my Dyna, it had Screamin' Eagle slip ons. I didn't need that racket. Who needs a bunch of noise that you can't get away from? Maybe when I was 18 I would have liked that, but I outgrew that long ago. As soon as I could, I went back to factory exhaust. That was years ago, and I have put on many miles since then.
The problem is inconsiderate asses that have the loudest pipes, and are constantly revving their engines. "Look at me! Look at me!" they seem to say.
These idiots make us all look bad. I never like riding around someone so inconsiderate. It is all about them.
Sure, I can appreciate performance gains and a SLIGHT increase in rumble. But the loud pipes idiots are going to ruin things for everybody.
By the way, did you ever notice that many of the "Loud pipes save lives" parrots refuse to wear helmets? Helmets actually DO save lives.
Great post, so much truth here.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:23 AM
Daninjax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I do think there is some truth to the loud pipes saves lives argument, though I have no actual statistics to back it up. I notice people turning their heads to glance when I'm approaching on my Harley... much more so then I do driving in my Chevy. So it's only common sense to assume it has to help at least some.

Oh and I do wear a helmet.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:54 PM
jp49
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

kind of scratchin my head here ... i think loud is a subjective kind of thing.
i have straight (drag) pipes on my 1200c (i bought it that way)... i must say i do not notice the noise i always seem to be sitting ahead of it and moving away from it. i do not notice heads turning when i ride by however i very seldom really crank it (i drive like an old man). it just sounds like a motorcycle to me. i do wear a FF helmet but even when i do not have it on it does not seem that loud. even with my hearing aides on it does not seem that loud.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:40 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
It's only a matter of time before loud pipes are a thing of the past. Enjoy them while you can.
Something tells me you have never been down here for Biketoberfest or Bikeweek.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:59 PM
oldguyalso
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
ILMFBLILMFBL
Road Captain

What you don't understand is the Federal EPA regulation is an administrative rule not enforced by police but by agents. It has been in place since 1978 and states that one cannot modify or replace ANY motor vehicle exhaust system unless it is OEM.

Just why do you think that your mufflers came with a stamped into it message about the year and engine it is legal for?

You can only get a administrative hearing. If that doesn't work then it can be appealed to an Appellate Court the cost of which would be more than the value of your bike along with the almost impossible task of getting it set aside.
Guess you can call me a rebel ...MY bike is not loud ...no straight pipes.... F the Govt for trying to tell me what I have to do. IF the time comes they have roadside inspections, I'll deal with it ..... I am stuck in a state that lacks FREEDOM and one day I will move to a FREE STATE.... the whole premise for helmet laws was BULLSHIT started by a state rep that had a HARD ON for Motorcycle riders.... It was fantastic going without a helmet in Yellowstone a few years back.... stepping off soapbox...

Old 10-08-2015, 06:13 PM
oldguyalso
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jweeds
kind of scratchin my head here ... i think loud is a subjective kind of thing.
i have straight (drag) pipes on my 1200c (i bought it that way)... i must say i do not notice the noise i always seem to be sitting ahead of it and moving away from it. i do not notice heads turning when i ride by however i very seldom really crank it (i drive like an old man). it just sounds like a motorcycle to me. i do wear a FF helmet but even when i do not have it on it does not seem that loud. even with my hearing aides on it does not seem that loud.
And that's the whole point without a DB meter it is one persons "feelings" on how loud the sound is.... Actually there is more than just pointing a DB meter to determine loudness of a sound, distance from the vehicle and such...

Quick Reply: Banning Loud Pipes?