General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Colder weather and full face helmet question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 AM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colder weather and full face helmet question

I know with my Scorpion EXO-100 half helmet with the pop down half shield, when its cold and I wear my neoprene face mask I get glasses fogging up.

My question is, will a full face helmet fog up on cold mornings? I am very claustrophobic so full face helmets never appealed much to me, but if they dont fog, provide more protection, fit well over my prescription glasses , it may be worth a try.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:51 AM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by kzoo
I know with my Scorpion EXO-100 half helmet with the pop down half shield, when its cold and I wear my neoprene face mask I get glasses fogging up.

My question is, will a full face helmet fog up on cold mornings? I am very claustrophobic so full face helmets never appealed much to me, but if they dont fog, provide more protection, fit well over my prescription glasses , it may be worth a try.
Ever try any of the anti-fog products you can wipe on your glasses or inside your face shield?

Old 10-21-2011, 08:52 AM
NoMax
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wear a Scorpion EXO-700 full face and don't have any problems with it fogging up, even though it's been in the 30s for the last week on the way in to work.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:02 AM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LA VIC
Ever try any of the anti-fog products you can wipe on your glasses or inside your face shield?
The one they sell at Wally World in the optical dept works pretty well. I think they are Clarity Defog It. 3 multi use wipes for about 4 bucks.

Just looking for more protection from the chill too...

Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Never tried any anti fog stuff but I think most FF will fog when its cold out - learn to control your breathing and crack the shield when stopped - also a piece of duct tape over the bridge of your nose will keep your breath away from the shield...........laugh but it works.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Some of the high-end full face and modular helmets have a coating now on the shield that claims to prevent fogging. I have been researching a new helmet here lately and this was also a concern to me. I have been told by owners of the Nolan 103, the Shoei MultiTech, and the Schuberths that they do not fog due to the coated shield.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:32 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

My ff I use on my DR has another flexible shield with a rubber seal around it that you put on the inside of the helmets shield and clips in there. Basically, you end up looking through two screens. With the rubber seal, it creates a pocket of air inside like a double pain glass. The screen will not fog ever. You can see fog from your breath on the outside of the helmets shield. It really works perfect. My insert came free with the helmet. I'd imagine they would be very cheap and made for all helmets.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 10-21-2011, 01:33 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Been thinking about getting one of these...

http://www.respro.com/products/racin...ng/foggy_mask/

Old 10-21-2011, 02:01 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by kzoo

Anti fog spray frequently applied, is pretty much a requirement with shields in cold weather and rain. The alternative is something like a pin lock or fog city insert that converts your visor to dual pane and makes it pretty much fog proof.

All full face helmets have venting witch circulates fresh air inside the helmet
and will help in removing moist air, which causes fogging, from inside the helmet as long as you are moving to force air into the front vents and draw out air from the exhaust vents on the back of the helmet.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:24 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I tried a FF and it fogged badly and it was not a cheap one (a Shoei X-11 with good ventilation). So when cold I wear a half helmet, no face shield, with a balaclava and a neck warmer pulled up over my nose over the balaclava, and goggles or goggle type glasses. Only fogs when raining.

I have heard that a pin lock shield works.

Last edited by txfxstrider; 10-21-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Colder weather and full face helmet question