General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearing Reducer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 05:41 AM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,489 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by tallboy56
You don't want to " pinch down" on the inner rings...that causes preload and ultimately, premature failure. The spacers should prevent that from happening. If the axle nut causes the inner rings to be pushed inward while the outer ring is held in the hub, that's trouble waiting to happen. Also, since the press fit goes on the rotating ring, the inner ring does not need to be pressed or clamped...it should just be a close clearance fit. Ever put "old style" tapered roller bearings in the front wheels of a car? The outer ring(cup) presses into the wheel hub while the cone slips onto the spindle. With ball bearings, the same applies but you just don't set the running clearance with a nut.
Uhh, did you forget there is a spacer inside the hub of your wheel that is actually in contact with the inner races of both bearings when they are installed correctly to prevent them from doing what you described??

Old 11-11-2011, 09:03 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 278 Posts

Half of a modification. You would also need a center sleeve/ spacer to keep the existing center spacer located when these are used.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:22 PM
kenlani
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Lemme jump right in here--I just put a 19" wheel on a WG front end, had to machine the axle to fit the axle spacers I had and center the wheel, - I replaced the 1" bearings for 3/4 and put a 3/4 inner bearing spacer inside--everything seems right
My question-- I torqued the axle nut to specs and the axle spacers are tight against the bearing inner race-this is to ensure the outer race and bearings rotate and not the inner race, correct?

or is there some clearance or maximum compression of the bearing races and inner spacer I should know about?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 PM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kenlani
Lemme jump right in here--I just put a 19" wheel on a WG front end, had to machine the axle to fit the axle spacers I had and center the wheel, - I replaced the 1" bearings for 3/4 and put a 3/4 inner bearing spacer inside--everything seems right
My question-- I torqued the axle nut to specs and the axle spacers are tight against the bearing inner race-this is to ensure the outer race and bearings rotate and not the inner race, correct?

or is there some clearance or maximum compression of the bearing races and inner spacer I should know about?
When you pressed your right side bearing in, ( the left side always goes in first ), and it bottomed out, did it bottom out on the inner spacer, or in the bearing bore of the hub?? The inner spacer should not be able to move inside the hub. I always stick my little finger in through the bearing bore and check to make sure it's snug.

Last edited by xwhyz1959; 11-11-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:53 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,102 Likes on 17,547 Posts

With the new style sealed bearing's getting that inner spacer right can be a bear , undersize as little as .005" or .010" thou and compress the bearings inward or " crush " and now the bearing are side loaded which that design does not like , personally I think that's why people have been loosing them with such low milage . There's enough variance in machining tolerances and fit to more than account for it . It was a reduced cost & labor for the assembly line is why the MoCo went to them not a big tech leap . Get that inner spacer too long and now the bearing can float a bit with sideplay under load and you get whole different can of worms plus depending on who makes the bearings the radius on the outer edge can be bigger or smaller so it seats deeper and now that inner spacer is too long . Fought this crap setting up a set of Thunder Star mags , there is a difference in how deep the bearing presses in between the china , US and the france made bearings . Was .014" difference on that spacer between them on my wheels .

And yes your want the spacer on the inner race of the bearing only .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-12-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:02 AM
kenlani
Intermediate
Cool

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
When you pressed your right side bearing in, ( the left side always goes in first ), and it bottomed out, did it bottom out on the inner spacer, or in the bearing bore of the hub?? The inner spacer should not be able to move inside the hub. I always stick my little finger in through the bearing bore and check to make sure it's snug.
I measured all dimensions of the old 1" bearings and inner spacer, got the new 3/4 parts(bearings and spacer) that matched the dimensions- installed disc side bearing first, then inner spacer, used 3/4 threaded stock and big washer against right bearing outer race and it pulled the bearing up against the inner spacer--ilittle finger to check and there I was....
I had a 3/4 axle that I machined to allow matching chrome axle spacers on each side of the wheel-installed everything and torqued to specs-

the axle spacers do not rotate and are tight against the bearings--so now the axle, axle spacers, bearing inner races and bearing spacer all are fixed and do not move----My question was if this is correct

Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 AM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

I measured all dimensions of the old 1" bearings and inner spacer, got the new 3/4 parts(bearings and spacer) that matched the dimensions- installed disc side bearing first, then inner spacer, used 3/4 threaded stock and big washer against right bearing outer race and it pulled the bearing up against the inner spacer--ilittle finger to check and there I was....
I had a 3/4 axle that I machined to allow matching chrome axle spacers on each side of the wheel-installed everything and torqued to specs-

the axle spacers do not rotate and are tight against the bearings--so now the axle, axle spacers, bearing inner races and bearing spacer all are fixed and do not move----My question was if this is correct
Yes. the only part that is actually "moving" are the bearings themselves captured between the races. BUT, when you say "matching chrome spacers", are you referring to the finish, or the length??

Old 11-29-2011, 04:29 PM
BrianG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What was the bearing number for the replacement bearing that you used to convert to the 3/4" axle?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:04 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

It's just a bushing to go from the bearing size to the axle size say 1" to 3/4"

Old 11-30-2011, 03:46 PM
kenlani
Intermediate

I was referring to the finish(chrome)-- I had almost matching length spacers and decided that having two chrome spacers looked better than just the one chrome on the disc side and bare axle on the other

The 3/4" bearing is 9267---

Last edited by kenlani; 11-30-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: error in p/ns