Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 PM
gearedforacure
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearings

Do I HAVE to buy the Harley bearings to replace my wheel bearings, or is there somewhere I can find all of the dimensions and just pick up some aftermarket bearings?

Old 01-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gearedforacure
Do I HAVE to buy the Harley bearings to replace my wheel bearings, or is there somewhere I can find all of the dimensions and just pick up some aftermarket bearings?

If you take the numbers right off of the bearings and go to a bearing supplier you will be able to save some bucks. That goes for the seals too. The numbers are universal and any bearing supplier should be able hook you up. They can also cross reference the number and give you an upgrade bearing if you choose. I would search the internet for a bearing supply house in your area first. Last time I went that route I saved about half the cost of buying from the dealer.

Tech23

Old 01-22-2010, 01:24 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

what mfg makes the bearings in the wheels now? And remember any bearing number well almost any bearing number can be matched up but not all mfg have the same quality just make sure you get same or better.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:21 AM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Better-cheaper-American made-http://www.goallballs.com/home.asp

I priced a set of neck bearings at HD, went with All ***** instead, 1/2 the price

Old 01-22-2010, 03:53 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I checked out their site; clicked on "Product Look-up"; selected "Street"; opened "Make" and they don't even list H-D. Only H-D I found on their site was complete starters...am I missing something?

Old 01-22-2010, 04:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

A few years ago I took the front wheel bearing of my 74 FX to a local motor bearing supplier and he told me they were the same as the outer front on a popular Ford car! So it shouldn't be difficult to find yours.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:53 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

As to who makes the bearings in the wheels, not positive on that, haven't replaced em but I did just replace the ones in the neck of my 06 streetbob and they were SKF which were stamped MEXICO, since the upper showed a touch of caging in the center of the race, I yanked em and put in TIMKIN's which are stamped USA baby.....

Old 01-22-2010, 06:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusred
As to who makes the bearings in the wheels, not positive on that, haven't replaced em but I did just replace the ones in the neck of my 06 streetbob and they were SKF which were stamped MEXICO, since the upper showed a touch of caging in the center of the race, I yanked em and put in TIMKIN's which are stamped USA baby.....
Amazing how some firms become 'international' and conveniently loose their history. SKF was Swedish when it was founded (thanks Wikipedia!): Svenska KullagerFabriken AB, while Timken is American in origin, but they both make bearings around the world now.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:38 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
A few years ago I took the front wheel bearing of my 74 FX to a local motor bearing supplier and he told me they were the same as the outer front on a popular Ford car! So it shouldn't be difficult to find yours.
Your absolutely right, after I yanked my orignals skf hecho in mexico's out, I painstakingly analyzed the part number on the race and bearing so I could cross reference it, after I did it's funny how now that number stalks me. I was in autozone and getting a connector for my tractor when I happened to notice some trailor bearings swinging for the blister pack on the shelf, and the pn was an LMblabla but it was the exact number as the HD neck bearings. I laughed and thought great cheap trailor bearings for my 15000 motorcycle, muhahahahahaha.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:05 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Several of my friends and myself use All ***** Bearings. American made and less than half of HD's ptice.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearings