General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Will Start Leasing Bikes Soon

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 AM
rmw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Leasing could work very well for the dealers depending on how it is structured. It is one way to get low mileage used vehicles to sell and the risk to the dealer is fairly low. For a buyer, it just depends on how you feel about paying for all the depreciation of the bike plus some and then not owning anything.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:07 AM
SIRA-Pitstop
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
The flip side to this is look at how many bikes are out there that are 3 years old with 5000 miles and stock...Poser bikes....
This is my thought also. I see bikes all the time of people who are strictly "Harley Owners" Bone stock, no upgrades and no desire for them.
A lease would appeal to these folks anytime.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:08 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
Hay there's going to be pro's and con's for both sides. I do think this would work in the warm states were they ride more then 8 months of the year. And would it would also put more bikes on the road. Will see come May for sure.
I would think the opposite would be true. A lease works well in the auto industry when the person puts on low miles each year, and isn't nicked at the end for a high mileage charge. They get a fixed cost of operating, and a new vehicle every couple of years.

With all the garage queens with just a few hundred or thousand miles on them, Harley (or the leasing company) would get a low mileage bike back to resell.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:14 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I don't think it's good business for whoever leases them out. Imagine loaning your bike to someone for 3 years, limiting their mileage, and charging them a monthly fee. Now imagine what that bike is going to look like when they turn it in and walk away.

Bikes take way more abuse than cars do.
When you lease a car, not only can you be charged for high mileage, but also for damage, when you turn it back in. The leasing company expects them to be returned with normal wear and tear, not all beat up.

Over the years, I've bought several two year old "lease backs" to use as business vehicles. Not only were they in pristine condition, the maintainance records were superb, compared to used cars. Leases have a lot of legal clauses in them, and maintainance can be one of them.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Harley Will Start Leasing Bikes Soon

Not to me they won't.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:26 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
I would think the opposite would be true. A lease works well in the auto industry when the person puts on low miles each year, and isn't nicked at the end for a high mileage charge. They get a fixed cost of operating, and a new vehicle every couple of years.

With all the garage queens with just a few hundred or thousand miles on them, Harley (or the leasing company) would get a low mileage bike back to resell.
+1 I would agree with this. I would lease a bike for 1 year and then if I liked it buy out the lease. I do this with most cars now to avoid lemons as you usually find out in the first year. Lots of Sportster lease owners would go 1-2 years then turn it in and lease a bigger bike. The the dealers could create a "certified" used bike with the extended warranty at several thousand off new pricing. I would be very open to buying a 2 year old bike with 8-10,000 miles and a 5 year warranty for 75% of new pricing.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider

That's true too. Good for the stealer and the person who's looking for a bike with low milage.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:05 PM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Would be easier to justify as a "business expense" !

Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Never lease any vehicle unless it can be used as a business write off. Leasing is a huge increase in total ownership cost over buying. It is for foolish folks that can't save and want things right now.

I can see it now. Turn the bike in at three years and they want to do a lot of stuff on it and you are stuck.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:31 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryLives
Would be easier to justify as a "business expense" !
Bingo! Company car uh I mean vehicle (bike)

Quick Reply: Harley Will Start Leasing Bikes Soon