General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The true measure of excellent design style

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default The true measure of excellent design style

I remember looking at a Honda VTX 1800 in a showroom 2 years ago and almost wanting to buy it as it was marked down under $9,000. I didn't and subsequently saw one in a parking lot that was all dirty, rusty and worn out. It looked horrible and I was relieved I didn't buy one. I then realized that the true measure of a great motorcycle design is how one of them looks when it is totally blown out, faded, rusty, dirty and greasy. If your first reaction is "Wow a project bike" then you have discovered a great design as the design features show through all of the disrepair. I am attaching this photo as my example of a design that even in it's current state is being emulated. Tell me if it looks familar...then tell me if you wouldn't want to take this bike for a spin.

Attached Thumbnails The true measure of excellent design style-jesus-bike.jpg  
Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,962 Likes on 17,491 Posts

Import bike are lot like blonds , they sure look like the ride of a lifetime till the bright light of morning lets you see them without make up .

Old 02-14-2012, 05:59 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

This is not an HD but it speaks to me. This is my kind of nostalgia ride.

Last edited by qtrracer; 06-28-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:47 PM
randayn
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, NO. If that is what you think represents classic design, in my opinion you have no aesthetic sense.

The Jesus thing just makes it worse. Has to be the ugly of the week.

Really ,what the heck? Of all the bikes Harley makes , why THIS?

Dude, what is your point?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:00 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ride of a Lifetime

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I remember looking at a Honda VTX 1800 in a showroom 2 years ago and almost wanting to buy it as it was marked down under $9,000. I didn't and subsequently saw one in a parking lot that was all dirty, rusty and worn out. It looked horrible and I was relieved I didn't buy one. I then realized that the true measure of a great motorcycle design is how one of them looks when it is totally blown out, faded, rusty, dirty and greasy. If your first reaction is "Wow a project bike" then you have discovered a great design as the design features show through all of the disrepair. I am attaching this photo as my example of a design that even in it's current state is being emulated. Tell me if it looks familar...then tell me if you wouldn't want to take this bike for a spin.
A buddy I ride with bought an old Honda CB 750 Custom and "restored" it. He's into it for an addition $700, and between breakdowns he never fails to show off his 30 year old Honda. he's a great guy, a good friend. But I can't hep but saying "Its still just a Honda". 'Nuff said.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:58 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

You missed out on a great ride. I had my 02 for 7 years and 18K. Never a single issue and certainly not a spot of rust or grime on it. 106 HP and 120 FT LB of torque made it one heck of a power cruiser. rode it to Sturgis twice for the 2K round trip. Took it on a 12 day 12 State 4K ride with my son who also has a 03 VTX1800.

My only complaint with it was the 34 mpg average. It did chew up Dunlaps fast. Sold it last year for $4,750 which was wholesale book yet it still was more than 50% of what I paid for it. For years they could be had for $9K. One of the best bargains in motorcycling.

I went to all Harley's in 07 for the mpg and touring comfort.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I'd take it for a spin in a heartbeat! It would give me a better idea what to concentrate on before I tore it apart and rebuilt it! Nothing gives me more satisfaction than taking what most people would sell as scrap metal and transform it into a trophy! One man's junk is another man's treasure!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 PM
dpk20x
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cute theory

Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
You missed out on a great ride. I had my 02 for 7 years and 18K. Never a single issue and certainly not a spot of rust or grime on it. 106 HP and 120 FT LB of torque made it one heck of a power cruiser. rode it to Sturgis twice for the 2K round trip. Took it on a 12 day 12 State 4K ride with my son who also has a 03 VTX1800.

My only complaint with it was the 34 mpg average. It did chew up Dunlaps fast. Sold it last year for $4,750 which was wholesale book yet it still was more than 50% of what I paid for it. For years they could be had for $9K. One of the best bargains in motorcycling.

I went to all Harley's in 07 for the mpg and touring comfort.

Wow, 18k miles in 7 years......You were really burning up the roads on that thing.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,201 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Originally Posted by fastjoe
Wow, 18k miles in 7 years......You were really burning up the roads on that thing.
ouch!

Quick Reply: The true measure of excellent design style