General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another stupid question that the manual does not cover.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Crash75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another stupid question that the manual does not cover.

I am about to change oil for the first time in my softail. The manual states to remove the drain plug from the oil tank but does not say anything about the small drain plug in the bottom of the engine case. It seems to me that the oil tank is located pretty high above the bottom of the engine case and there would be quite a bit of oil left in the engine case. Am I supposed to pull the engine case plug too? I think I will do this as well but am wondering if anyone else has noticed this or does this. Once again, my manual lets me down.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to know as well, I'm no wrench.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:42 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Crash75
Am I supposed to pull the engine case plug too?
On the touring models(yours may be the same)that plug is only removed to check for sumping.
I would not mess with it until you know for sure.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

You only need to drain the oil tank. The oil pump pumps the oil out of the engine and back to the oil tank. The plug in the bottom of the case is not to be removed. There will be a few ounces of oil in the engine, but that is ok. That is why your manual says to only drain the oil tank.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:28 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

On softails drain the oil tank only. Jim Kraft explains it well.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Don't pull the other plug on the case. Many people have had leaks afterwards and some have even cracked the case trying to get it back in. Do a search and read about some of the issues.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to ask do you have the "Service" manual or the "Owners" manual? My guess is you do not have a service manual. Get one, it will come in handy.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Crash75
Tourer

Originally Posted by Skid Lid
I have to ask do you have the "Service" manual or the "Owners" manual? My guess is you do not have a service manual. Get one, it will come in handy.
No.....I have the $50.00, 2" thick service manual. Very first thing I bought after my bike. This is the second night in a row the manual has let me down. I have worked out of many service manuals for different makes and it seems as if Harley manuals (at least this one) suck. Last night I re-installed my rear wheel and was looking for the proper way to align the rear axle being as how there are no marks on either side of the swingarm. The book simply says to make sure the wheel is aligned. Real nice but....HOW. I had to post this question in these forums to get an answer. As far as my oil drain question....Since it is common sense that one may look at the lowest point of an engine to find a drain plug (and it appears as though there is one there), you would think that the manual should tell you to NOT remove that case plug and to ONLY remove the plug fom the oil tank. My manual only states to remove the oil tank plug leaving people not familiar with Harleys to wonder if the case plug should be pulled.
I feel like an idiot having to ask what may seem like real basic questions, but I have not worked on Harleys before and they are not like working on other bikes which I have lots of experience with. But this is how you learn....by doing!

Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahaha ya I saw your thread on the rear tire, suck that your S manual is letting you down, I guess I have been lucky with mine so far. Don't worry about asking questions that's what makes this website such a great resource, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here, I will say that the Harley has been a transition for myself as well after years of wrenching on mertics, but once you get the jist they are really simple bikes to look after.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Crash75
Tourer

Originally Posted by Skid Lid
Don't worry about asking questions that's what makes this website such a great resource, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here,
That is one of the reasons I am here....

Quick Reply: Another stupid question that the manual does not cover.