General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm having hard time getting back into the Motorcycle world.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 PM
HDTide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tinker1
Harley actually does their own financing.
However, the dealerships are independent franchises, they are not financing their own bikes. Eaglemark will extend credit to less than stellar credit, just have to have more cash down. Usually around 50% and the interest will be higher.

For the other poster's point about note lots, those are a different beat. Typically, what they require for a down payment is about what they have in the vehicle, so most of the payments are profit for them.

Last edited by HDTide; 04-04-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Two things to consider.

1. If you make a career out of your past-time, then your past-time will become your career. In other words, if you're gonna be in business to fix other's bikes, don't expect much riding time for yourself. I always wanted to be a Game Warden, until I realized that during prime hunting seasons, I'd be out there enforcing the laws instead of hunting.

2. All things change with the times. Except for those of us that are too stubborn or capable of making the change. Bikes are expensive. I doubt you'd even find a decent jap bike for a couple thousand dollars. I never thought I'd see the day when it would take almost 20 bucks just to fill up a bike's gas tank!

There ya have it. Good luck in your quest. But I don't think you'll have much luck unless you make some major changes in your thinking.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Cruiser

First off, don't buy from a dealer! They have a ton of overhead and want to make as much $ as they can.

Do some research, find swap meets, CL, Cycletrader, newpapers, etc. Do some research here to figure out what kind of bike you want (Sportster, Dyna, SoftTail, etc).

Personally, I would look for an older bike that needs some work, buy a service manual and learn to fix it yourself.

My first two HDs were Sportsters which I modified. I started hanging out with experienced guys and learned from them how to work on bikes. I read service manuals and other books on bike building.

I eventually bought a wrecked Shovel FLH, tore it all apart and rebuilt it into a nice 70's chopper. These bikes are pretty basic and not that hard to figure out.

Like others have said, don't waste your money going to school unless you have a lot of it. Working at a dealer pays squat. If you get good at fixing and building bikes you may be able to open your on shop.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

You ride what you can afford...all these guys spendin 20k on that new HD aint chit. My next build tha new S&S Wedge custom frame...enuff said!

Had to add that most make payments...roflmfao

Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck finding a new bike and a new career. Like many have said, mechanic school is not all it is cracked up to be. I doubt there is enough $$ in it to fund your passion and you will be working on other guys bikes every weekend instead of on your bike out riding.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 PM
kmnjr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
You ride what you can afford...all these guys spendin 20k on that new HD aint chit. My next build tha new S&S Wedge custom frame...enuff said!

Had to add that most make payments...roflmfao
I kinda resent that remark as I worked long and hard to be able to afford my new HD. Everybody makes choices and every choice has consequences. I don't belittle you or your life because you can't afford a new bike. I believe an apology is in order for those of us who saved, worked and sacrificed to ride the bikes we have......or maybe you "aint chit!"

Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

welcome back, and you can get a nice FX for 8K and up.
good luck on your hunt

Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by kmnjr
I kinda resent that remark as I worked long and hard to be able to afford my new HD. Everybody makes choices and every choice has consequences. I don't belittle you or your life because you can't afford a new bike. I believe an apology is in order for those of us who saved, worked and sacrificed to ride the bikes we have......or maybe you "aint chit!"
pfft...apologise? You're one of those I just spoke about, kiss me ****!\
Just had to add, I been ridin scoots since I was 9-10, pop was hardcore biker. I been twistin wrenches all my life on scoots. Back in the '90's HD stock double and insta bikers started to rule...with said go (*&^ urself!

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 04-04-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:44 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

well, if we're gonna argue about income, my household only makes 35K a year and some of us pick up pennies off of the sidewalk to pay for our Harleys

Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

First of all, HD Financial/Eaglemark WILL work with you to get you on a bike. The interest will be on the high side, but the payments will be do-able (not this $599 a month for a new Lincoln BS). Otherwise a lot of people here have had great success with credit unions to get financing. The interest rates are usually lower as well.

Second, don't turn wrenches for a living. I currently work on cars (I attended UTI in Glendale Heights, IL) and I'm barely getting by. I'm at $12 an hour + commission, but that's dependent on if I have something to work on. Nobody can afford to fix anything, so the racks have been empty lately. I also owe on my student loans as well ($28k after scholarship and whatnot). Guarantee you'll get burnt out on bikes if you do it for a living. I hate working on my own stuff and my friends stuff because I do it every day 5 days a week. I've actually been thinking about getting my CDL and driving for a living, hauling local and eventually hauling fuel with my uncle.

Third, the deals are out there. Yes, Harleys are expensive, but it's a good thing for us owners. These bikes are lasting longer and running more miles without ever being opened up, and as a result people hold on to them for some time.

To the people out there who've worked hard and saved for new bikes, good for you. It's nice to finally be able to get what you've always wanted, and know you earned it. Not opposed to people building their dream bikes either, but a lot of us don't have the time, skills, or resources to do so. To each his own, all that matters is you're on two wheels.

Last edited by 95th 1200; 04-04-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm having hard time getting back into the Motorcycle world.