General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm having hard time getting back into the Motorcycle world.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
It's not how much you make, it's how much you spend
I agree, but he cited regulations ruined the trucking industry, the trucking industry has changed, but isn't ruined, there is plenty of money and freight out there.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 PM

I've thought about attending MM school as well..... because I've been turning wrenches on cars for 20 years.... but just recently graduated to bikes. I've already done more to my Honda than most weekend warriors will do to their bike in a lifetime.

But, I'm a knowledge seeker... always have been. If I do it, it will be because I want the knowledge, not because I need a job. If I had to do it for a living..... I wouldn't love it anymore.

Food for thought.

Regarding the $2500 Harley.... not gonna happen. In fact, I'm not even sure you can buy a thrashed HD in pieces for that price.

However, financing is available to those with less than perfect credit. In fact, the HD dealership was very quick to offer me credit, when no one else would.... I just didn't want to fork over that kind of $$$ on a new Heritage ($22k)... when I could pick up an equally clean, significantly more attractive used Heritage Springer for significantly less $$.

But, depending on which model you like.... HD sells plenty of new bikes in the mid teens that are quite nice, with a full warrantee.... and their financing options are available long-term (7 years max if I recall) to keep the payments low.

..... it really just depends on how bad you want one.

My advice.... get pre-approved for whatever amount you are comfortable with through your local bank or credit union...... then search eBay for sellers that are dumping their garage queens for whatever they can get for them. There are deals to be had.... you'll likely have to take a road trip to pick it up though... or have it shipped.

Lastly, keep in mind this is a TERRIBLE time to buy a bike.... Spring is here, and EVERYONE wants one.... plus everyone just got their taxes back so they have a pocket full of money too. These things combined is driving up the price of bikes across the spectrum right now. My Goldwing is collecting dust right now.... so I'm thinking this is about the best time to sell it.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

First, you need to clear all the myth stereotypes out of your head and other negative stinking thinking and try a more positive approach.

If and when you get to the positive side of the road every thing will fall into place.

I do have a question for you. The average OTR trucker makes $60K a year and if one goes to Wiliston S. Dakota withing 72 hours one can get a $90K/yr starting pay. So, why are you training for a position that today is mostly $10/hr starting wage? Does't seem like the path to Harley Heaven to me.

Last edited by lh4x4; 04-04-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't get hung up by what you see at the dealers or the ridiculous prices some people want for their iron. Deals are out there, you just have to be patient and persistent. My son, who has had his ups and downs with credit, just found a 2001 wide glide sport with 6,000 miles on it. It's in stock condition whichis wha the wants. The price? He's getting it for $6,000, we leave tomorrow to pick it up. Deals are out there, you just have to look real hard and be patient.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i started wrenching in a bike shop when i was 16..i did it for 13 years, i was making $10.25 when i admitted it was never going to go anywhere and gave up. i quit wrenching to drive a truck, made a ton more $$.. i have worked with a lot of new mmi/bike school grads through the years, every one of them could barely cut it as a mechanic apprentice. one guy was hired in the shop i was at, he worked on a bike for 2 days and couldnt figure out why it had no compression, me and another tech looked at it, he put the washers on the cylinder, then the head and nuts on..the last shop i worked at, a mid 20's kid was hired as builder (new bike build up and prep) he had a book of certifications from MMI..he worked on bikes for a couple weeks then became the service writer..
you want to get a bike? even if you could afford it only making $20k a year with $20k school loan payments. after working on broken motorcycles 8-10 hours a day usally 6 days a week, a bike is the last thing you want to see in your free time..with that much driving experience, you should have no problem getting a local driving job. i had a buddy that delivered gasoline, he worked 6a-1p,mon-fri, 36hours.. he brought home $1k a week.. that leaves plenty of time and money for riding.. after driving for a few years, i dont think i could go back to having some jerkoff breathing down my neck all day, yelling at me that i'm doing my job wrong when i have been doing it 10 years longer then him, again..

Last edited by j1mmy; 04-05-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Originally Posted by j1mmy
...i dont think i could go back to having some jerkoff breathing down my neck all day, yelling at me that i'm doing my job wrong when i have been doing it 10 years longer then him, again..
That's one of the big reasons I just cut my living standards to try and make it on my retirement pension; could sure use a few hundred a month more, but can't forget what it was like working for people that drove a company into bankruptcy. I could probably make a fair amount just doing part time independent mechanic work, but then you're on the liability hook for everything the owner screws up later, just don't need the worry; seen that happen to other guys. God, it was so easy to make a decent living in the 60's, how did we screw up so bad?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:16 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

$2500 for a Harley Davidson motorcycle? Sounds like you are living in the $.15 for a cup of coffee days pal. I think Harleys were $2500 back in the 70's.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:27 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
$2500 for a Harley Davidson motorcycle? Sounds like you are living in the $.15 for a cup of coffee days pal. I think Harleys were $2500 back in the 70's.
agreed. I'll take 2 of those

Old 04-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Bellefourchian
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just sock away as much cash as you can manage while you're looking. There are some deals out there. Good luck with it.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
You can still get part of a Harley for $2500. And occasionally the whole thing. Of course, it may need a couple of those parts.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...894891875.html

Quick Reply: I'm having hard time getting back into the Motorcycle world.