General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need helmet advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Island Hog
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I know what you mean, I hate helmets, all of em and am old enuff to remember No Helmet Laws Anywhere. But times change and yes I agree they save lives...
Anyway, I had a Harley Half & a Harley 3/4 and F.F. and a dozen others, cudn't get any to feel right. (think I have at least 10 or 11 around the garage.
Actually started to ride less (not good) becuz I hated helmets.
Until i tried "Skull Crush" man it's like ridin' naked. Check them out... not DOT, but I stuck a DOT sticker (ebay) on the back & never been stopped.
It's the only helmet I'll ever wear, and yeah they're made great... Kevlar+Carbon Fiber sandwich...
No matter what you do, keep check'n out diff. helmets, you find one yu love, it's worth it for "The Ride".
jack

Old 04-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3/4 Life crisis nailed it.
I have the same problem with my HD half. I have some lifting without my QD shield, but buffeting is noticeable with it on. I have minimized it by mounting it lower on the forks. Less air getting under it. In certain wind conditions it still feels like my eyeballs are trying to shake out of their sockets.
I don't do much Interstate travel, so I live with it. Best of luck, since I don't think they will take it back either (they don't know if the liner/ inner shell has been damaged). Too much liability selling a used helmet.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Glxn26
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. Figured out today that I should have had my head measured. Turns out I'm a large, not an extra large. I'm sure that will make a difference. Will look into buffeting too. By the way, hd xl half helmet for sale. Worn for about 20 minutes. Lol

Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Island Hog
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Measuring can be tricky. I have found good fits in 2 diff. sizes, but I guess if you stick w/Harley helmets you'll peg your size.
Good luck to you, hope you don't go thru what I did to find one that feels like I'm not wear'n nothin'...
j.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Most places have no clue how to fit helmets. When my wife started riding with me last year, I took her to a BMW dealer, cause I know they are serious about helmets. I was surprised how snug they fit her Shoei helmet.

So I went home and bought a Large HJC instead of the XL I had been wearing. It was tighter, and much quieter, and less chafing. My old helmet was too big and was moving around chafing my forehead. I wear a FF HJC.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Glxn - I moved from WI to a helmet state. If you're used to not wearing a lid, even the best fitting one will take getting used to. Even something like increased wind noise because of the helmet straps make you hate the thing even more. I know you have an xl and need a large, but see if adding a doorag helps. Also if it has a visor, take it off. It might act like a wind catcher.

I now own 6 helmets. But finally found a DOT helmet that fits/rides better than my $14.99 POS
Just a word of caution if you get a non-DOT lid. "If" you get pulled over in a helmet law state, the officer could hold you from riding off wearing a non-DOT helmet.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Most places have no clue how to fit helmets. When my wife started riding with me last year, I took her to a BMW dealer, cause I know they are serious about helmets. I was surprised how snug they fit her Shoei helmet.
That is no lie. When I got the bike, I sent The Wife to the local metric place to get a helmet. She came home with a medium ff. After 2 years, she wanted a modular. She went to a bunch of places trying them on and finally found a saleswoman who knew her ****. She now has a small Shoei and its more comfortable than her medium.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:08 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,819 Likes on 1,680 Posts

I have a HJC IS 33 3/4 helmet that I seldom wore until my 3000 mile vacation last week. It felt like it was too tight until i wore it every day for a week and a half. It fits fine now.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glxn26
Ultra Classic Limited. Eyes popping out of my head was an expression because I really don't know how to explain it. It was maybe lifting a little, but felt more of a side to side type motion. I tried tilting the helmet forward to try to create a downward type pressure. No help from that.
Sounds like just how wearing a helmet always feels. That's why people don't like to wear them. I got a new Bell 500 the other day - also for a trip to NC (and TN) and wore it to work to try it out. I was surprised how much it was like a big parachute pulling on my head.

As far as being tight, your helmet will loosen up and it's even worse at highway speed if it's not tight.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:10 AM
My401k
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At Wolverine Harley I always hear them suggest to wear the helmet around the store for a bit while shopping to see if it remains as comfortable as when you first put it on. (are helmets comfortable to begin with?)

They come right out and tell you helmet sales are final.

I know this doesn't guarantee you will like the helmet when you hit the road, but if you don't like it after 10-15 minutes of walking around the store, you know that helmet is not for you.