General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HarleyDroid working - Logging/RPM/MPH on cell phone

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:50 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, how about you build some kits and sell them?

I'd be interested in this and the App. Looks like fun.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 AM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by El Rey
Ok, how about you build some kits and sell them?

I'd be interested in this and the App. Looks like fun.
I downloaded the app (which is pretty but non-functional without the BT thingy) and ordered the parts yesterday. It looks like I'll be about $19 into the cable, plus $25 or so for the bluetooth ODB adapter.

I also contacted a custom cable company to find out what their cost to me would be for 100 of the cables, made with proper strain relief and 10" of cable.

Last edited by JHL-ShinySideUp; 04-11-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 AM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHL-ShinySideUp
I downloaded the app (which is pretty but non-functional without the BT thingy) and ordered the parts yesterday. It looks like I'll be about $19 into the cable, plus $25 or so for the bluetooth ODB adapter.

I also contacted a custom cable company to find out what their cost to me would be for 100 of the cables, made with proper strain relief and 10" of cable.

Would you pay:
$60 for a kit, plug and play, with everything but the phone?
$25 for a cable - you buy the BT/ODB adapter and plug it in?
You can't do with everything. The software cannot be sold.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 AM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master

Originally Posted by editbrain
You can't do with everything. The software cannot be sold.
True enough. Allow me to rephrase:

$60 for the kit that includes everything you need for this device that physically attaches to the motorcycle, including the cables, connectors, BT/ODB module, pins, terminals, solder, heat shrink, and all associated parts and pieces. But that does not include the phone, a data plan, access to the Amazon App Store, Google Play service, or the direct download apk files. Or a way to mount your phone (not included in purchase) to the motorcycle (also not included in purchase).

And actually, under the terms of the GNU agreement, I could include a USB drive or CD/DVD with the program on it, as long as I don't charge EXTRA for the software.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

True enough. Allow me to rephrase:

$60 for the kit that includes everything you need for this device that physically attaches to the motorcycle, including the cables, connectors, BT/ODB module, pins, terminals, solder, heat shrink, and all associated parts and pieces. But that does not include the phone, a data plan, access to the Amazon App Store, Google Play service, or the direct download apk files. Or a way to mount your phone (not included in purchase) to the motorcycle (also not included in purchase).

And actually, under the terms of the GNU agreement, I could include a USB drive or CD/DVD with the program on it, as long as I don't charge EXTRA for the software.
You're going to do all that work for 15 bucks? Order the stuff, make the cable, hook it up test it, package it together, usb stick with s/w. Ship it with instructions?

Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master

Originally Posted by zeus33
You're going to do all that work for 15 bucks? Order the stuff, make the cable, hook it up test it, package it together, usb stick with s/w. Ship it with instructions?
Sure. If it gets to be more than 3 or 4 folks, I'll look more seriously into getting custom cables made, and sell them instead. I get free shipping from Amazon, and if I have an excuse to swing by the dealership and spend $15 or someone else's money, I'm up for that.

I'd rather just do the cable and let you buy the BT/OBD adapter yourself. For that matter, it's far easier to hit the App Store and download the software for free than it is to explain how to manually load an app from a flash drive, through the laptop, to the phone.

I'm not looking to get rich. If I can put together some wires while I'm watching SOA or SurvivorMan in the evening, and make enough so I'm not losing money, it's a way I can give back to the HDF. It's not like I'm a fount of wisdom about Harley mechanics, or the biker lifestyle, or which oil to use.

Heck, I'll even post up pics so if you want to do it yourself and save the $15, you can do that, too.

I'll get the parts tomorrow from the Big Brown Truck, and I'll be out with my wife for a couple of days ... by early next week I'll have a better idea how much work the cables are to build. I'll post up the directions and make sure theres a link in here for the folks who are subscribed.

Last edited by JHL-ShinySideUp; 05-08-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: I wish I could type better.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:52 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Sure. If it gets to be more than 3 or 4 folks, I'll look more seriously into getting custom cables made, and sell them instead. I get free shipping from Amazon, and if I have an excuse to swing by the dealership and spend $15 or someone else's money, I'm up for that.

I'd rather just do the cable and let you buy the BT/OBD adapter yourself. For that matter, it's far easier to hit the App Store and download the software for free than it is to explain how to manually load an app from a flash drive, through the laptop, to the phone.

I'm not looking to get rich. If I can put together some wires while I'm watching SOA or SurvivorMan in the evening, and make enough so I'm not losing money, it's a way I can give back to the HDF. It's not like I'm a fount of wisdom about Harley mechanics, or the biker lifestyle, or which oil to use.

Heck, I'll even post up pics so if you want to do it yourself and save the $15, you can do that, too.

I'll get the parts tomorrow from the Big Brown Truck, and I'll be out with my wife for a couple of days ... by early next week I'll have a better idea how much work the cables are to build. I'll post up the directions and make sure theres a link in here for the folks who are subscribed.
yeah I'm interested. I just haven't had the time to sit down and figure out the details. But if you're planning to do it, any advice to pass along is much appreciated.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested in either option. Please send me a PM if you make these available.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:29 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm, how about one for iPhone?

Quick Reply: HarleyDroid working - Logging/RPM/MPH on cell phone