General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how is it going from a honda shadow to a harley?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Irishknight
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how is it going from a honda shadow to a harley?

i currently ride a 2009 honda shadow spirit,i been riding for about a year,i am planning on getting a 2012 harley davidson fatboy lo by the end of this year but anyway this saturday im going to a harley davidson demo day and plan to ride as many bikes as i can,just wondering how it will feel going from a 750cc to a 1690cc? im very stoked and cant wait,i am an everyday freeway commuter, just wanted to hear your guys experiences from going from a 750 to a harley for those of you that did this as well,just trying to see what im in for

Old 05-10-2012, 10:01 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I went from a CB160, CB360, CB450, CB750 and on through a VTX1800 and Honda Rune before switching to a HD.

I have always valued the experienced going through a process of learning skills on a small bike and working up instead on jumping right in.

Learning to make an emergency stop, how to go into an unexpected corner hot and setting a line immediately by counter steering and trust the tires to hold. Eventually learned trail braking. To me those are the top skills that need constant practice.

Does not matter what kind of bike. Just develop defensive driving skills. Proper following distance. Don't over run your vision on corners in the day and your lights at night. Stay focused at all times.

That way you will learn the most rewarding part of motorcycling. Returning home after a good ride.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a lot of bikes over the years and had a 97 Shadow before selling it and buying a 99 Heritage. I was kind of amazed at how much better the harley handled compared to my Shadow. Better in the corners than you could believe. Balance beyond compare. I learned why they do harley slow races. You can't do that on a honda or other imports. I think you'll be pleasently surprised at how well the harley feels to you.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Irishknight
Advanced

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
I had a lot of bikes over the years and had a 97 Shadow before selling it and buying a 99 Heritage. I was kind of amazed at how much better the harley handled compared to my Shadow. Better in the corners than you could believe. Balance beyond compare. I learned why they do harley slow races. You can't do that on a honda or other imports. I think you'll be pleasently surprised at how well the harley feels to you.
oh man your response makes me even more excited to try a harley for a big time! im so excited and counting the days till i get to ride a few hehhe i know what u mean on the slow speed and balance,i can ride at very slow speeds pretty well but sometimes it feels like my honda shadow spirit cant lol,another question for all you guys how is it going from an 540 pound bike to a 730 pound bike? thats how much my spirit weighs and also how much my future bike the fatboy lo weighs

Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

It's like warm apple pie. :-)

Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I am not real familuar with the Honda Shadow, but I am sure you will feel more power, even on a stock bone HD. Do not lug the HD if you can help it and you will have better throttle responce in its stock configuration.
You are gonna hear a lot more rattles from the engine that you are probalby used to hearing... Knocks, valve train noise, rocker arms that you probably never heard on the Honda unless you were up against the rev limiter on the Honda.
The cost of everything is a lot higher on a HD...They seem to leave things off on purpose so you have to buy stuff to make it fit you...or suit your riding style.
Service is expensive from HD, but most dealers are ok with you doing your own service if you keep reciepts of oil and materials you used to service the bike. I would highly recomend letting the dealer do the first service and maybe once in a while just so they can check things over during the warranty period. Tire changes at the dealers are expensive. Touring bike tire change of both tires will hit around $600 or more.
Some people that ride metrics for years have a hard time paying that much for a harley and become disappointed shortly there after. Lots of them want a Harley because of the name only. Many buy them only for garage jewelry and ride them once in a while. They are different from the metric bikes...
I bought mine cause they have the biggest dealer network in the world. You can get service on the road, with a dealers not too far away. It handles better, looks good and gets pretty good fuel mileage compaired to my past metrics.
There are tons of accessories and chrome to customize the bike to make it just like you want, (for a price).

I think it is a good idea for you to go to demo day and ride all of them before you make up your mind which one you want. Do not get clouded up over the HD brand...truly look at the bike as steel, plastic and rubber to make your decision. I think you will be happier in the end.
Good luck to ya...

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (03-08-2018)
Old 05-10-2012, 10:22 PM
kamut
Tourer

When you think about going up 200lbs., think of it like having a big passenger, but the passenger's way, way better balanced down low in the bike and you have the power to handle it.
Have fun. You're not going to have any problem with the transition IMO because of your overall experience. It's gonna be lots of fun.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 PM
bluelineman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My last bike was a Honda Shadow 750. That was about 10 years ago. I just got a Heritage Softail Classic. It's been great. It's a lot bulkier, tons louder, heavier, etc. But it can't be beat in the character department. "12Limited" had some good info. Everything with their name on it costs $$$. I wouldn't trade it for anything though.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The only way you're going to notice the 200lb difference in weight is if you try to bench press it.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Marty_13
Intermediate

I went from a Shadow Sabre 1100 to an Electra Glide Ultra Limited. The first few rides were a little tentative, getting used to the different feel and weight. I remember thinking how heavy the EG was. Now I don't think about the difference. Be sure to get in some parking lot time for some low speed practice. Good luck and enjoy.

Quick Reply: how is it going from a honda shadow to a harley?