General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does it take...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:30 PM
fastalkintn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all of the responses. I hope to make it in one day but I don't want to have to ride like my pants are on fire. I usually always ride secondary's because the scenery is better but for this trip time will be more important than the view so I will keep to the interstate.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:34 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Last week I rode from Atlanta to Port St. Lucie in 9 hours and 15 minutes. It was 623 miles. I FLEW the last hour on the turnpike (I was following a 5 series Bimmer and he was haulin')

Old 05-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Time in he saddle gets it done. A decent average is around 2 hours for every 100 miles as a rule of thumb. I know we travel 75+ mph, but when you average in stops for food and fuel over long distance it's a pretty good gauge. You can usually beat it, but I like starting with the simple math and then be happy with slightly better results.

In op's case, the day may seem long, but keep the throttle steady and the bike pointed in the right direction and you will get there by dinner time (8pm if you leave by 9am and don't linger or sight see along he way).

Old 05-20-2012, 11:47 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,580 Likes on 1,640 Posts

It all depends on the rider.
Averaging 60MPH for 10 hours is some pretty hard riding and you have to limit your stops, and the amount of time of the stops to a minimum.

The unknown factors (traffic, weather) can sometimes make a long day longer.

We (me and my wife) rode a 720 mile day a couple of years ago and I don't know which one of us was the most surprised.
(My longest day ride was 877 but that was many years ago and very little was on the Interstate).

I like to get a real early start for a day this long to avoid night driving if at all possible.

You may want to try making it a two day trip on the way up and then if you feel aventureous make it a one day ride home.

With any trip I do, I plan it to I miss the rush hour traffic if at all possible.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:47 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I've done 830 in under 11 hrs.
Mostly interstate.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Left a rinky dink town in Wyoming, covered 850 miles 13 hrs maybe 14. really wasnt hard hard at all. just use your gas stops wisely, take some music and ride.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I ride the bike from Michigan to Tenn, and back 2-3 times per year to visit Mom...

I leave Michigan at 3 am (prefer riding with little to no traffic thru busy areas) and arrive at Mom's in 11-12 hours. That includes a breakfast stop, fuel, bathroom and lunch stops.

The last 100 miles is on secondary roads thru the mountians.

On the return trip, I leave Moms at 5 am, and take the longer way (all frweeway) as I don't like riding the Mountians in the Dark. I am home in Michigan by 7 pm, with all the stops.

Its 603 miles from my front door to Moms.

Its not difficult, However, be aware...the Hotter the day, the more you WILL stop, and will need to stop, both to Hydrate yourself, and to hit the restroom. Thats another reason I leave michigan so early...I get most of the ride done in the cooler part of the day.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:52 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,068 Likes on 17,533 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
I ride the bike from Michigan to Tenn, and back 2-3 times per year to visit Mom...

I leave Michigan at 3 am (prefer riding with little to no traffic thru busy areas) and arrive at Mom's in 11-12 hours. That includes a breakfast stop, fuel, bathroom and lunch stops.

The last 100 miles is on secondary roads thru the mountians.

On the return trip, I leave Moms at 5 am, and take the longer way (all frweeway) as I don't like riding the Mountians in the Dark. I am home in Michigan by 7 pm, with all the stops.

Its 603 miles from my front door to Moms.

Its not difficult, However, be aware...the Hotter the day, the more you WILL stop, and will need to stop, both to Hydrate yourself, and to hit the restroom. Thats another reason I leave michigan so early...I get most of the ride done in the cooler part of the day.
Solid and practical advice gained from doing it , listen to this man you'll do well .

Old 05-21-2012, 04:55 AM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 134 Posts

Depends on the weather. If it looks like rain, I haul ***. If it starts raining, slow down. If it starts pouring rain and lighting, pull over.
If its a sunny day, enjoy the ride.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:49 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing to consider...
You need a couple of "lesser trips" to condition.
FYI... Haynes underware seams are made of 3/4" rope!
Last year, 786 miles 14 hours 35 mins from Canton Ga to Winnsborro Tx. Stopped only for breakfast and fuel on the RK in my sig.

Quick Reply: How long does it take...