General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does it take...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Coloradohunter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rode from Denver to Council Bluffs, IA a couple weeks ago. 560 miles and interstate all the way. Only stopped twice combining fuel/food/water intake.

Made it in almost 9 hours exactly.

Would have been better but there were several 25+ miles strips of highway that were under construction and that slowed things down a bit.

Split the ride home into 2 days so I could take it easy and enjoy the sights on the way back. (Not that there's a whole lot of sights to see through Nebraska and NE Colorado)

Old 05-21-2012, 01:41 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
anything that is a 'minor' irritant on a short ride is chinese water torture on a longer ride. and even some things that you don't even notice will become a major pita on a long ride.

doing some shorter rides before hand will help to bring those areas out so you can take care of them before hand.

I went and bought a wooden bead seatcover from the local parts store for about $20. It's meant for a car but I use it with no problems on the bike. so with my tourpack on I have a backrest. The bead seatcover goes over my seat and runs up the tourpack to the top where I usually tuck it under my sleeping bag so it stays. a bungy cord or two and the bead seatcover stays where it is put.

THAT makes all the difference in the world in how long I can ride for in a day. I get the air movement under my *** and up my back as well, with no pressure point problems anywhere.

may wish to look into that

Old 05-21-2012, 03:02 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I've tried those beaded seat covers in a couple of cars, and I can't stand them - the beads always seem to hit me in the wrong spot.

But that's just me.

As for the OP - leave early and stop often. If you only have four days for the whole trip, a car might be a bit more comfortable. You won't be sight-seeing either way.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:10 PM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradohunter
Rode from Denver to Council Bluffs, IA a couple weeks ago. 560 miles and interstate all the way. Only stopped twice combining fuel/food/water intake.

Made it in almost 9 hours exactly.

Would have been better but there were several 25+ miles strips of highway that were under construction and that slowed things down a bit.

Split the ride home into 2 days so I could take it easy and enjoy the sights on the way back. (Not that there's a whole lot of sights to see through Nebraska and NE Colorado)
I live in COuncil Bluffs, what brought you to C.B.?

Old 05-21-2012, 04:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,378 Likes on 17,651 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
I went and bought a wooden bead seatcover from the local parts store for about $20. It's meant for a car but I use it with no problems on the bike. so with my tourpack on I have a backrest. The bead seatcover goes over my seat and runs up the tourpack to the top where I usually tuck it under my sleeping bag so it stays. a bungy cord or two and the bead seatcover stays where it is put.

THAT makes all the difference in the world in how long I can ride for in a day. I get the air movement under my *** and up my back as well, with no pressure point problems anywhere.

may wish to look into that
Originally Posted by JHL-ShinySideUp
I've tried those beaded seat covers in a couple of cars, and I can't stand them - the beads always seem to hit me in the wrong spot.

But that's just me.

As for the OP - leave early and stop often. If you only have four days for the whole trip, a car might be a bit more comfortable. You won't be sight-seeing either way.
Good old fashion real sheep skin throw over is the best seat helper you'll ever get . Picked one up in middle of nowhere Montana as a desperation move one time and haven't made a long trip without since .

Old 05-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Coloradohunter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glock221
I live in COuncil Bluffs, what brought you to C.B.?
I'm friends with KFAB radio DJ Crash Davis. He invited me out for the Quaker Steak & Lube bike night and the Ted Nugent concert. Figured I had some vacation time to burn and wanted to put some miles on the bike so I said why not.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by fastalkintn
I have read several people on here talk about doing 500-600 miles in a day and was wondering how many hours it took you to do it at a comfortable pace on the interstate. I have rode several 300 mile days, all secondary roads, and including fuel stops and one sit down meal it usually takes 8-9 hours. The reason I ask is I am planing on rideing to Michigan this summer which according to google maps is 619 miles all interstate and was wondering how much time to plan for. Thanks in advance for your help.
Do a Mapquest- it will give yo the estimated time to destination based on road work, congestion, terrain.

I can ride all day sun-up to sunset- the weather is a major factor, extreme high or low temp will fatique you fast-you might have to bag the ride and rest very frequently or get a room until you recover.

A seven hour ride may take you 18 hours.

Your riding gear and bike equipment will help/hinder your fatigue level- full face helmet or a windshield will help reduce the "hanging on" feeling you get after riding against a headwind most of the day.

http://www.mapquest.com/

Last edited by Sling Blade 14; 05-21-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Jular2
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should easily be able to average 60+ miles per hour on the Interstate.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,040 Likes on 628 Posts

You should be just fine. I did 800 miles in about 15 hours, but I took my time and enjoyed the ride.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

620 miles in 10 hours is a comfortable pace and will allow you a modest amount of time for a sit down lunch or dinner.

Weather and fuel stops will be your unavoidable time sinks.

Send me a note if have specific questions.

Last edited by Jonesee; 05-21-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: How long does it take...