General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another rider gets killed near home.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:52 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts
Default Another rider gets killed near home.

Last week Bill was sitting at a stop light and a 19 yr old girl drives over the center line and hit him as he sat stopped waiting for the light to chage..

There was a follow up story in the paper, but its like a big secret on why or what happened that she crossed the center line. Nor has the paper given any further info about the driver.

By Dani Palmer
The Herald Bulletin

July 17, 2012
Motorcyclist dies of injuries
Police: Rental truck struck stopped motorcycle

ANDERSON, Ind. — The motorcyclist from an accident on Broadway died Monday night after being airlifted to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, according to Anderson Police Department spokesman Detective Joel Sandefur.

William Richards, 60, of Anderson, was first transported to Community Hospital by ambulance, Sandefur said, after he was struck by a U-Haul truck at the intersection of Broadway and Grand Avenue, near Frisch’s Big Boy restaurant.

Dispatch received the call at 8:44 p.m.

Sandefur said Richards was stopped in traffic near the light, northbound on Broadway, when the southbound U-Haul, driven by Laquinda Maxwell, 19, of Anderson, crossed the line and struck him.

Richards was not wearing a helmet, he said.

A female witness who declined to give her name, but spoke to police, was inside the restaurant at the time of the accident and said she could hear the brakes of the rental truck right before it hit the motorcycle. Skid marks were left behind.

She said Richards was thrown from the bike and hit a pedestrian light, knocking the top off, before hitting a light pole.

Also in the rental truck were Theressa Jones, 18, of Anderson, and two girls, ages 10 and 13. Sandefur said the 13-year-old received a bump to the leg that did not require treatment.

The truck also struck a utility pole and snapped it in half, bringing down a live wire.

A crew from Anderson Municipal Light & Power worked to repair the damage before police could get in to investigate. Portions of Broadway and Grand Avenue were closed for more than two hours.

The crash is still under investigation with the possibility of a criminal investigation, Sandefur said.

This it the Third one we had in our area this summer and all due to the cager negligence to a motorcycle rider.

Last edited by oct1949; 07-26-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Laquinda.... Name says it all. Probably looking at her iPhone.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:59 PM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 428 Posts

So sad. Thoughts and prayers for his family.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 PM
fish-r-ride
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

You notice they just had to put in the rider had no helmet. Like it would have saved his life after that kind of hit.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Originally Posted by fish-r-ride
You notice they just had to put in the rider had no helmet. Like it would have saved his life after that kind of hit.

Yeah,, I noticed that too and its pi$$es me off.

Living in a Helmet Free state, its like the local Newspaper always has to add that little bit of info.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:40 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Here's the follow up story..

Looks to me like from the brake marks on the road The driver of the Rental Van was in the right southbound lane then decided to turn left at the intersection, thus crossing the inside southbound lane at the last second and slid into Bill and his bike head on that was sitting on the inside lane, Northbound...

The Anderson Police Department continued its investigation Tuesday afternoon into a fatal accident at Broadway and Grand Avenue Monday night. They asked for the fire department's ladder truck so they could get aerial shots from the platform over the intersection of the accident. (1 of 1)

Old 07-26-2012, 10:20 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Peace and prayers to his family. I saw a post on here awhile ago about leaving your bike in 1st gear while waiting for a light to change, not saying that it would have helped Bill. I HAD a habit of leaving by bike in neutral which isn't a good idea but after I got slammed (fortunately I was driving my truck) at a stoplight by a tractor-trailer while waiting for a light to change, I leave it in 1st and check my mirrors at intersections, not that I'm paranoid.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:44 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by roadkingharry
Peace and prayers to his family. I saw a post on here awhile ago about leaving your bike in 1st gear while waiting for a light to change, not saying that it would have helped Bill. I HAD a habit of leaving by bike in neutral which isn't a good idea but after I got slammed (fortunately I was driving my truck) at a stoplight by a tractor-trailer while waiting for a light to change, I leave it in 1st and check my mirrors at intersections, not that I'm paranoid.

just cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. a couple of weeks ago, i was stopped at a stoplight (in my truck). i was the second vehicle back from the light. when the light turned green, the guy behind just popped his clutch and went, not waiting for us in front to go. could have been nasty if i was on the bike, luckily i wasn't.

douchebags are everywhere

Old 07-27-2012, 08:02 AM
EZGlider12
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Here's the follow up story..

Looks to me like from the brake marks on the road The driver of the Rental Van was in the right southbound lane then decided to turn left at the intersection, thus crossing the inside southbound lane at the last second and slid into Bill and his bike head on that was sitting on the inside lane, Northbound...

The Anderson Police Department continued its investigation Tuesday afternoon into a fatal accident at Broadway and Grand Avenue Monday night. They asked for the fire department's ladder truck so they could get aerial shots from the platform over the intersection of the accident. (1 of 1)

I'm with you, looks like a last second turn. I can't help but think people were on their damn cell phone whenever something like this happens. Makes me sick.

As far as the helmet statement, this was a pretty extreme incident, but if it were a vehicle they would have made the statement about seatbelts if they weren't worn either. Don't get me wrong I'm 100% pro-choice, but no one can argue the fact that helmets save lives. I just wish people, especially in cages, would CHOOSE to pay more F*ING attention.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:15 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Stupid bitches were prolly texting EACH OTHER in the truck.

Quick Reply: Another rider gets killed near home.