General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on ride down to Philly

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 05:23 AM
jacksonfdny
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Need advice on ride down to Philly

Hey , I'm looking for a scenic route down to Philadelphia, PA
from Ulster County NY ( Kingston , Poughkeepsie ) area
Picking up new helmet at revZilla Motorsports and also needed a cheap place to spend the night
Thanks in advance for your advice
Jackson F.D.N.Y.

Never forget the 343 brothers we lost on 9/11

Old 08-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Philly Ride

Not sure how scenic you want to get as you have to go further west to get the scenery. More scenic would be to hit rt 209 down through the Delaware Water Gap area and then 611/32 down to 95 to Philly. Less scenic would be to pick up 94 out of Newburgh and take that down to 611 to Philly. Or half way down 611 pick up 32 and follow the river down to 95 into Philly.

Being local can't make any recommendations on hotels but I'm sure there's a ton of them in the area.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:34 AM
ClutchCargopa
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with Low Wider, thats the best way to get down to Philly, however just like any city it sucks for traffic. Some great food downtown, and the sites nice. Parking sucks and you will need to park in a lot. The surrounding area is nicer. Be carefull going through New Hope and Yardley. Not at all Bike friendly and will ticket for noise and also parking correctly. As for staying the night, check the internet. There was a marketing session with Philly called "stay the night" I dont know if its still running. If you cannot get a room downtown, stay in the north or the west. King Of Prussia is nice for the SO as it has a huge mall. Rooms are plentyfull and Valley Forge is over the hill. Nice short riding.
Stay out of Jersey as Camden is across the river. Its a war zone over there. If you find yourself there stay to the interstates and do not get off any exits till you are well past it.

I hope this helps. Be safe.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

I'd take the car! Save the scenic ride for when you get about a hundred miles west of you! The only scenic ride from where you are, is heading west 150 miles, head south, and then east toward Phila!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Andjh123
Tourer

You could stay on 9W for awhile, cutting off on Storm King Highway on the South end of Newburgh/New Windsor which is an awesome (albeit, short) stretch. Get back on 9W after that and stay on as long as you dare (I'm not sure how far south it goes, but it'll be slow going and brings you closer to the congested cesspool known as Newark.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:15 AM
xtheunknown
Intermediate

Pick up I-84 and take it to Port Jervis, NY. Take Exit 1 and turn left on Route 6. Take a left on River Rd (CR439/CR521) and follow this to Old Mine Road. Enjoy. This will take you all the way to East Stroudsburg. From there follow 611 along the Delaware River untill you hit Route 32. Take that all the way to Philly. Warning: this will take you a LONG time.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Blitzburgh
Advanced

I went there a few months ago to pick up a pair of the Held warm and dry gloves. The helmet and glove selection was nice. It was a nice store, a little smaller then I expected. There was parking right in front of the place.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 AM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree that 32 is a good ride.. and rt 9 is as well.. as for 611.. it ain't a four lane but I don't think it's a great ride either.. admittedly though, it's probably the best choice if your staying off limited access highways.. Like already mentioned.. traffic and parking in philly sucks.. There is lots to do downtown.. the art museum, independence hall, liberty bell, constitution center, franklin institute, reading market.. the list goes on.. but getting around and finding a "safe" places to park isn't fun. One other thing I have to mention, the city is having a tough run with violent crime.. seems to be an everyday thing.. so much so that Philadelphia's pet nick name is "Killadelphia".. and like someone already mentioned, Camden across the river is worse.. it's a shame too because the USS New Jersey is worth the visit as is the Aquarium if your at all into such things.. I wouldn't cancel the trip but when your in town just keep on your toes.. if it doesn't feel right.. it probably isnt'.. Aside from that.. have fun and I hope you enjoy yourself !! Cheers

mav

Last edited by mavrickFLHR; 08-10-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:44 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
I'd take the car! Save the scenic ride for when you get about a hundred miles west of you! The only scenic ride from where you are, is heading west 150 miles, head south, and then east toward Phila!
I agree with this. River Road is about the most scenic westerly route south, but depending on where in Philly you're going, you'll probably need to go waay out of your way to get there. Also, as others have mentioned, I've experienced very little "brotherly love" in the city. Especially in the summer when it's hot and all of the psychopaths out of the woodwork. So, I'd advise you to either come in heavy (carrying) or drive the cage.

Be safe and enjoy!

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 08-10-2012 at 10:47 AM.