General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need tips on buying new from a dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:21 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
After you buy, stop looking for a better price.
This. Absolutely. Best advice I've ever seen on this or any other

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
First thing that I'd suggest is to talk to some local bikers.

The word gets around quickly if a dealer is gouging customers on bikes, service prices, or does sloppy work.

Getting a good price on a bike is important but getting warranty work done quickly and correctly is important also.

Back in the years when H-D's were hard to get, some dealerships were cranking the price up over MSPR and folks don't forget that kind of crap.
Local bikers all know which dealers are friendly and honest. Ask a local indy or two, if you can, as well - their answers will reflect on them as much as it does on the dealership.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:05 PM
baimo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought in a 2012 slim, they threw in abs and security system, shipping and prep and gave me a jacket

Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 PM
USMC5803
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, all the great information and stories of your experiences are much appreciated. Thank you.

USMC5803

Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 PM
livebeforeidie
Advanced

maybe if you mentioned where you were located, you might get some suggestions on dealers trying to run out their leftovers...

Old 09-22-2012, 03:07 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Find a dealer that moves high volume....They will negotiate quicker. Don't appear desperate.

Last edited by SportsterBob; 09-22-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:17 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My suggestion is to work them through the internet first. If you can get an online conversation going (emails), then they're going to work you harder to get you to come in. But, if they don't want to work with you through emails, then they're not going to work very hard for your business in the showroom, so move on.

Mike

Old 09-23-2012, 10:27 AM
TennesseeJed
Tourer

[QUOTE=2AMGuy;10355592

Back in the years when H-D's were hard to get, some dealerships were cranking the price up over MSPR and folks don't forget that kind of crap.[/QUOTE]

this is not true..... I actually wrote the MoCo a letter in '98 asking them why several dealers were a few thousand $ above MSRP. This was when they be a 12-18 month waiting period from some dealers yet one could get whatever they wanted from other dealers for thousands more. the reply I received from the MoCo stated all of the bikes being offered from dealers who advertised them 1,000's above MSRP were bikes being sold on consignment from investors types. ie. People who would get on the wait list, pay MSRP upfront from several dealers @ the same time and then, when the bikes came available and were set up @ dealer, were able to be sold as new and with the then 1 yr warranty. The dealer also made a % on the sale and got paid for the setup.

Capitalism @ it's finest. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Waaaaaaay earlier that year I had paid mine down payment, got promised a fall delivery, then was told later that summer I had to wait until the next June/July for the bike. But......If you want one now, one of the MPLS H-D dealerships had what you wanted for $2500 over MSRP. That got me so fired up, I wrote the MoCo the letter and after the reply, went and bought a CMC built bike from the EasyRider outlet in the Twin Cities.
I sent the letter special delivery/return receipt requested to a address the original dealership gave to me as I originally was ranting & raving @ them and threatening. I put up so much of a rant, the owner of the dealership still remembers it to this day. And I have since bought mine last 2 HD's, '09 FLHRCI & '12 FLHX from him.

This is mine story and I am sticking to it!

Last edited by TennesseeJed; 09-23-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:03 PM
basselope
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not one for "playing the game". I walk in and tell the staff exactly where I am in my purchase research, what I expect, what I know and what I don't know. I also let the person know that I am visiting other dealerships and whether or not I am also considering private sellers. I need to be sold on, not just the bike, but the dealership as a whole. I visited 7 dealerships before making my purchase - each of whom could have dealer-traded for the very same bike sitting in my garage today. And to be honest, I can't say I had a bad experience with any of them. They all gave good input and tended to back up some major points I hadn't considered.
Just my opinion, but if you go into the dealership seeing it as a battleground, that's exactly what it will be. As it stands today, when I walk into one of the shops I didn't purchase from, they all know I purchased elsewhere and still smile when I walk in. I would, and do, recommend any one of them.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:24 PM
omaho5
Road Master

Now is a good time to buy a leftover '12. They will not deal on the '13 models.
I lucked out on a standard RK, black....$16,900. ABS, Security, Cruise.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:36 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

A lot of good advise here. I would suggest knowing exactly how much you're willing to pay for a bike. Work from that point. Start out $1,500.00 below that and let them work you up from there. Makes them feel like they accomplished something. Really take a look at the leftover 2012 models. Dealer here has $2k off on touring models, or $1.5K off all others. And you can get some things thrown in if you are adamant about them making or breaking the deal. I did this with my '11 RK. They knew right off the bat that I wouldn't even think of taking the bike without different bars or a backrest/luggage rack. They threw those in for free, and still got the $2k off.