General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you pick your bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 01:32 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
Default How did you pick your bike

Im guessing the majority of folks on here knew what they wanted when they bought their bikes... What about the people that were on the fence? Im having a real hard time deciding on a bike.. Im torn between the Road King and the Streetglide... Ive road both, I love both.. On one hand Id love to have a Road King with apes and stretched bags, on the other hand a slammed streetlgide is awesome too... Anybody else been in a similar situation? Flip a coin or what... and buying both isnt an option lol...

Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Adrian Thompson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on the fence about the EG, SG, and RK. I wound up going with the RK because you can get a detachable Batwing for it and make it a SG, or you can run it bare bones and have a sick bagger- it's way more options.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:39 PM
dbk1029
Advanced

I have a Road King. That being said look at the differences between the two bikes and see what you like more. Personally I love my Road King but after having it for about 4 months I found that having audio would be a nice option. If I could do it again I may have gone for a Street Glide, or an Electra Glide Std, since the Street Glide feels a little small to me (I think it is the lower suspension and fairing).

Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Adrian Thompson
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dbk1029
I have a Road King. That being said look at the differences between the two bikes and see what you like more. Personally I love my Road King but after having it for about 4 months I found that having audio would be a nice option. If I could do it again I may have gone for a Street Glide, or an Electra Glide Std, since the Street Glide feels a little small to me (I think it is the lower suspension and fairing).
You can add a fairing and audio to a road king easily. For a new, primed or solid color detachable batwing with audio, you can expect to pay about a grand. The difference is you can remove it when you're putzing around town and add it in seconds for touring.

IMO no windshield, or windshield, or fairing option > stuck with one design forever.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:47 PM
dbk1029
Advanced

I know the make the detachable fairings. I have been looking into one for my RK. Need to find a decently priced one.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you have rode both, make a list of all the things you like about he RK and things you like about the SG, then do the same thing with things you would change or don't like about each bike. Money could help you decide here too...SG is a good chunk more $ than the RK.

I did this with the last bike I bought and I made the right decision. However, I am now considering trading for a touring bike sometime in the near future for practical purposes. I have rode every touring bike during demo days and like you I narrowed what I liked the best down to the same 2 bikes you have. Again, I have made a list of the likes and dislikes and things I would do with each bike. There are things I like about each, and things I would change about each, but when it comes time to pick one I will likely go with the Road King because of the versatility.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went in with intentions of buying a night rod. I sat on it and did not like the feel. I saw the Fatboy Lo, and I knew it was it before I even sat on it. I sat on it and I said I'll take it. I didn't even ride it.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Pix
Road Master
Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Spent a weekended with an Ultra the dealer gave me, could not imagine having anything smaller for the way I ride.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:58 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

When I bought my current bike, I knew it hadda be a RKC, as the RK is the perfect combination of form & function, & it would be my 3rd King. I knew it hadda be an '07--I wanted the 96" & 6-speed tranny, but DID NOT want a TBW bike--so '07 was the only option.

I looked at about 40 bikes in a 6 month period (also had a Fatboy, so I had something to ride until I found the right King) Most had one issue or another that I didn't like, and most were beaten up, or had stupid mods that I didn't want. Then I found Goldie & she was perfect--totally stock,mint, 5K miles,and the '07 color combo that I really wanted,with 3 years left on the ESP. I scored her for a SONG!

Attached Thumbnails How did you pick your bike-07-rk-1.jpg   How did you pick your bike-07-rk-tankl.jpg   How did you pick your bike-07-rk-2.jpg   How did you pick your bike-07-rk-fe.jpg   How did you pick your bike-rk-wheel.jpg  

Last edited by dickey; 10-25-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:26 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts

Dickey... Thats one sharp king...

Quick Reply: How did you pick your bike