General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 PM
popcorn13
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool winter storage

new to forum. i have a 03 heritage softail classic that i have to store outside . first off let me say that i live in a apartment in ulster county n.y. no storage at all. i was thinking put the scooter on plywood supported by a lift and roller system made by discount ramps. also covered by a dowco cover. any input or information is greatly appreciated. thanks

Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Whatever you decide to cover it with, make sure it cannot blow/move around in the wind. It'll rub the paint and chrome badly.

Cheers,
Paul in Colorado

Old 10-31-2012, 06:48 PM
popcorn13
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool storage

thanks for your input. i did not realize that could happen. always had inside storage before. happy halloween my favorite holiday.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:57 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

http://www.guardianselfstorage.com/

would spendd the coin to store it.......the snow melting and temp swings in spring will rust IMO........

Old 10-31-2012, 07:06 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

would your local dealer store your bike for a nominal fee
one near me does that and keeps bike on a tender

can't hurt to ask

Old 10-31-2012, 08:47 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, after several years of reading all the wisdom on this forum regarding this topic I don't mind passing some of it on.

- You have to lift the bike off the ground or your tires will get flat spots and will need to be replaced in the spring.
- You can't leave your old oil in because old oil has acid in it and will pit the bearing surfaces and eat away the cast parts. Your engine will be shot by spring, you'll have to replace it.
- If you take your battery out, don't put it on a cement floor. The cement will drain the battery. Same goes for if you leave it in your bike and put the kickstand on a cement floor. You should put something under the kickstand so the battery wont drain.
- Dont cover the bike, condensation will accumulate under the cover and rust the bike.
- Drain the air out of your tires, all that pressure left over the winter will harm the tires.
- Drain the tank, gas won't last over winter, it turns to varnish.
- You have to immediately hook up a battery tender, or your battery will go flat dead in no time.

That's all I got for now, can't remember any more. Personally, I pull mine in the garage, set it on its side stand, as I do every day when I get home, it sits like that till the next time I ride it, even if its for a few months. ;-)

Old 11-01-2012, 06:28 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Years ago when I stored a bike outside for any length of time I put a thin layer of grease on the chrome bits, I'd do that or spray them with WD40 keeps the rust at bay, take out the battery put it on charge, occasionally move the bike so it's not sitting on the same part of the tyres, if its done a few thousand miles change the oil and filter.Oh yeah lock it up well so it don't get nicked.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Years ago the bikers of the day didn't worry to much about sitting out. Of course then the bikes were not dipped in chrome. I suppose if you followMagna's advise by sprayit down with WD-40 (Water Displacing formula 40) and maybe wipe it down on some of the good days it should be OK. At least once a month put a charge on the battery and I agree with whoever stated a normal cover would scratch the paint and chrome. Covers are nice inside but outside the wind gets ahold of them and rubs the bike the wrong way.

In the spring you will see some bikes coming to Daytona on open trailers from the north wrapped up in a cover that is supposed to not rub, think it is called Gator Hide, no experience just seen of it.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Gator Hide

http://www.gatorhide.com/

No experience with this product nor do I know anyone that has used it but, it may be worth a look

Old 11-01-2012, 07:05 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
- If you take your battery out, don't put it on a cement floor. The cement will drain the battery. Same goes for if you leave it in your bike and put the kickstand on a cement floor. You should put something under the kickstand so the battery wont drain.
Many sources say that the battery on cement is a myth.

Also I have no problems with my battery by leaving the bike parked on cement.

Quick Reply: winter storage