General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Harleys ride best? Rank best to worst?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM
AmericanMuscle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Harleys ride best? Rank best to worst?

I have been looking at the larger bikes. I was told that the Electra Glide is the best riding bc of the longer suspension travel. The Road Glide was next. The Road King and then the Street Glide. Does this sound about right? As much as I hate the look of the Electra Glide I sure love the way it feels (I'm 6'3). Wonder how much the cost would be to remove the rear monster seat and suitcase style trunk. Much prefer the look of the Road King but there is no hand wind protection...

What's the most comfortable long distnace non-touring bike? I'm thinking Softail Deluxe...

Last edited by AmericanMuscle; 12-12-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle
I have been looking at the larger bikes. I was told that the Electra Glide is the best riding bc of the longer suspension travel. The Road Glide was next. The Road King and then the Street Glide. Does this sound about right? As much as I hate the look of the Electra Glide I sure love the way it feels (I'm 6'3). Wonder how much the cost would be to remove the rear monster seat and suitcase style trunk. Much prefer the look of the Road King but there is no hand wind protection...

What's the most comfortable long distnace non-touring bike? I'm thinking Softail Deluxe...
Most comfortable touring bike would be Ultra or Road Glide. Most comfortable softail would be the Heritage.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay, are you ready? You need to spend some time and money riding different bikes to decide what will fit your needs and style of riding. It may look expensive renting, but when you consider the price of the bikes its more than worth it. Spend a day or weekend or whatever with some real seat time to decide. You have two nice bikes in the stable now. Either one would meet your needs. If you are looking for a change or a different ride try some Dyna or other Softails.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt there's much difference in ride between any of the touring bikes.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't think there is a right answer to your question. How well a bike rides is based on the preference of the rider and what he or she find suitable for his or her needs. I've owned a dyna, road king, ultra limited, and now a softail heritage. I think you will have to determine what you want out of your bike, test ride them/rent them and choose the one that best suits your needs.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Poolguy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mr HOG
Most comfortable touring bike would be Ultra or Road Glide. Most comfortable softail would be the Heritage.

The touring bikes sit you up a bit more with your feet under you. I know that on my heritage, I lean back a bit more and my feet are bit forward. The seat has a lot to do with this. I personally like the riding position of my Heritage and think it rides good enough for me, BUT the touring bikes are going to give a better overall ride. By the way.... the Deluxe is gonna ride almost exactly the same as the Heritage.

Last edited by Poolguy; 12-12-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-12-2012, 07:05 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

The "ride" between the touring bikes is similar, but the air flow is different for all 3. Batwing, RG fairing, and RK windshield all give a different riding experience. Rent or long demo them all at highway speeds... BTW, I left my RG for a Softail Deluxe, it rides great.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

YAAMT

Old 12-12-2012, 07:50 PM
AmericanMuscle
Tourer

Originally Posted by big papa AZ
The "ride" between the touring bikes is similar, but the air flow is different for all 3. Batwing, RG fairing, and RK windshield all give a different riding experience. Rent or long demo them all at highway speeds... BTW, I left my RG for a Softail Deluxe, it rides great.
What made you decide to switch?

Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 316 Likes on 181 Posts

The touring bikes are all similar. SG has shorter shocks and less of a seat making it the least comfortable.
Used seats are easy to find and don't need to be expensive. You can remove the tourpac (and saddlebags if you want) cost = $0. There is a quick release kit available for the tourpac that makes it easier to take off and put back on.

Quick Reply: What Harleys ride best? Rank best to worst?