General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lookin' at knuckles and pans, Why Japan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Lookin' at knuckles and pans, Why Japan?

Looking for YouTube videos for knuckleheads and panheads I noticed many if not most of the videos of people riding them are in Japan. Why is that? Who brought them over there ?
Just wondering!

Old 02-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agents acting on another's behalf, would buy up whatever they could at auctions and then send them off to Japan.

It's been going on for decades.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

I know guys who hit the U.S. regularly from here on buying trips shipping all the good old stuff they can find back to japan. Friend of mine just landed a container full and he's heading back to Cali and Vegas in the spring for another load.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member

So let me get this straight... a bunch of people on boards at bars or wherever sit there and make fun of HD dinosaur "technology" from today's twin cams and boast about the supposed superiority of Japanese engineering but their motorcycle masters pay 10 times for older American iron that really can't be considered technological marvels.

Lots of those bikes if not all are chopped or bobbed. They have have crappy bmx style handlebars. But hey I'll take heat cuz a knuckle is a knuckle.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 AM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member

Ooh wait it just came to me. A Japanese wouldn't be caught caught dead on a Japanese. Hahhahaha

Old 02-04-2013, 07:49 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

a former local dealer here would buy any old iron he could get his hands on. load up a shipping container, ship it overseas and sell them right off the back of it. there's big money to be made like this.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Japanese love harleys, and american pop culture, lots of old cars coming here too along with the bikes.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

A few years ago, I sold a crappy 64 impala conv on Ebay, the buyer had it shipped
to WA state, then I found out it was headed for Japan, the guy made a ton of money
on the deal.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Around 25 years ago, I worked for a warehouse in Minneapolis and the boss-man would fill up shipping containers full of canoes, anything at all to do with the game of golf, and other assorted stuff I can't recall at the moment, and ship them to an associate in Japan. He made some serious bank.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee⋁10865646
So let me get this straight... a bunch of people on boards at bars or wherever sit there and make fun of HD dinosaur "technology" from today's twin cams and boast about the supposed superiority of Japanese engineering but their motorcycle masters pay 10 times for older American iron that really can't be considered technological marvels.

Lots of those bikes if not all are chopped or bobbed. They have have crappy bmx style handlebars. But hey I'll take heat cuz a knuckle is a knuckle.
Somebody obviously hasn't been around when the tour buses stop outside the malls. How in the heck do you think the properties here got purchased? I have had friends selling their house and being offered $$$ for the house, furniture and their pets. You do the math.

Quick Reply: Lookin' at knuckles and pans, Why Japan?