General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bikers often carry a knife..But why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Sprtstr1200
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hmonger
I always have a knife on me. My Grandfather told me at a young, young age and i quote "Your not dressed until you have your pocketknife." Since that day I have always had a pocket knife on me. I use it at least once a day and would be lost without it. As another said it's just like my keys and wallet to me.

The day we buried my Grandfather I slid his pocketknife into his pocket right before we closed the lid. So he would be "properly dressed".

I love reading this thread. It sounds like most of us all had grandpa's and/or dad's with similiar views. I never leave home without one in my pocket. Most of the time it's one of the Old Timers my grandpa left me after he died. I collected pocketknives as a kid. Now I've started handing them down to my boys little by little and it warms my heart to see them cherish them the way I did.

HMonger,

My grandfather told me the exact same thing "You're not dressed until you have your pocketknife" and at his funeral I slid a pocketknife into his pocket as well. Thanks for sharing that story.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,696 Likes on 2,260 Posts

My Grandfather told me,

"If you need to cary a knife to feel like a man, you're a douchebag."

Old 03-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Robmitch49
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've carried a knife for over fifty years. Back when I was in school that wasn't a problem. All boys did. Some girls too. If I have my pants on, I have a knife (or two). No, I don't go in airports, screw em.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 631 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Nah, I still dun get it. I've never found myself on the road, or stranded on the road, thinking "Damn, I wish I had a knife right now."

Never owned an AMF Harley, eh?

I carry a Leatherman on road trips. It's been very handy over the years for camping, tightening loose screws, popping beer caps and more. It's not the best for protection, but it's better than nothing.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 AM
mesquite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's two distinct things in this thread. Of course a knife is handy..I carry a good/sharp pocket knife and I keep the blade very sharp. But there is also this wanna look intimidating and like a bad *** when you wear a knife on your belt. I wouldn't be stupid enough to pull a knife on someone...you just moved a misdeamor to a felony. A gun will net you the same...want a felony? We're talking some time in jail. I say just avoid that situation....I can't afford it...can you?

Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by teampiney
...Used to say, "Nothings more dangerous than a dull knife"...
My dad used to say that, too.

I've had numerous Old Timers and other brands over the years and still do, usually I'll have one in my pocket -- nothing to do with riding, purely practical experience.

Can't believe I just sat here and read this entire thread -- but it's a rainy morning and not much else demanding my attention right now. And it's always entertaining to see where threads like this go(!)

Old 03-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

My grandpa who had a small farm in the hills of Missouri always had a pocket knife in his overalls. I can picture him today cutting off a chunk of chewing tobacco from the block he also constantly carried in his overalls. He would also set out under a tree in the yard and carve out things like this ball in a box with a chain from a chunk of wood. I remember one that had probably 3 feet of chain links but he gave this one to me one day and I've carted it around for probably near 60 years now. I watched him one day drill a hole in a fingernail he had smashed with something. That was not pretty.

Attached Thumbnails Bikers often carry a knife..But why?-carving.jpg  
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 AM
The Outlaw
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DM1975
I thought it was because most motor bike rider types were felons and couldn't carry a gun.
i carried every day, everywhere, legally for years until i was convicted of a felony for growing my own pot..... i hope they feel safer now that they disarmed one of the folks who actually made the effort to carry legally and be trained to do so safely in a time when they have such a problem with so many illegally carrying.

back on topic i carry a small 3 blade case knife everywhere and have for years. not for protection but because its damn convenient. these days anything that cost more than $1.50 comes in thick plastic melted together. that alone makes it worth carrying and thats only the tip of the iceberg.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Rdgray
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was a kid growing up all the grown ups carried a pocket knife. So when I got big enough I did too. Like some have said all boys carried them in school and nothing ever happened. But I quit carrying a knife years ago. I also quit wearing a watch and use the cell for the time of day. Just trying to not carry so much unneeded junk around. Yeah I know get rid of the cell.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Knife?

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
I guess I'm too young, or too whimpy, to understand. I would think regular work tools would be more practical. Any practical reason to carry a knife?

I do have a switchblade that I keep handy for opening letters and packages from the cycle supply store, but I dun keep it on my scoot. : )

Do I need a knife stashed somewhere when I'm out ridin?
I'm getting old and wouldn't get close enough to use a knife for self defense. That's why I carry a Glock G21 (.45 ACP). Its not too accurate over 25 yards, but works pretty good up to there.